Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Boxes working together

A little bit of everwhere, Cairns, PNG, U.S.
    Thanks

Default Two Boxes working together

There is a new sat provider in my neck of the woods. Digicel Play. They sell a very simple little decoder box for KU-band. It connects to their dish, and give out USB and HDMI. NO NETWORK. You can record shows to an external hd. and it has no decoder card. It is the decoder itself and it is a pay as you go. You top it up via pre-paid balance off of a mobile phone.

the thing is I love my VU+DUO.

I like that I can telnet in, or use 3rd party scheduling apps. I like that I can stream shows to my computer or phone if I want.

So here's the question.
    Is there any way I can utilize their little Digicel box, in conjunction with my VU+Duo, such that the VU DUO is the one to schedule and record the shows?

I would hook their dish up to my BU+DUO but they don't use a subscriber card, they just authorize the box itself.

Any ideas?
    -Gimpel

Look Here ->
  • 19-07-16, 02:51 AM

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

There is the possibility there is a card inside the decoder but you cant access it unless you open it up which MAY kill the whole thing.
    Even if there was a card and it was removable and nothing goes wrong if you do remove it, there is the possibility the card is locked to that STB which PPV companies seem to like doing today which puts you right back where you started from...........

It sounds like the Company supplying this service are only interested in providing a 'No Frills' basic STB to their subscribers.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

so no way to pipe the coax through my VU+ to get to it then?

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gimpel View Post
    so no way to pipe the coax through my VU+ to get to it then?
    Unless its in the user manual that either STB has a means of 'connecting' using Bluetooth or a USB cable the way a Mobile phone connects to other devices to allow for a 'Hands Free' operation, I'll say NO.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

So the new STB is very bare bones, has a spot for a Smartcard but none is provided or needed. It is using Jsat tech, so JCSAT 4B @ 124E (also known as JSAT 13)

My understanding is that they decode based on box ID
    I'm trying to speak with the techs and make them understand what I want to do. sometimes these guys only know how to do 1 thing... so it'll be tricky.
    -gimpel

Thanks

Two questions:

1 - I'm reading the vu+duo allows for 2 dishes without a DiseQc switch. But I wonder if one is advised anyway. (One dish per tuner input) Because it may affect the ability to record and watch if you don't. Any thought?

2 - The Transponders I'm trying to tune in do not have any info on lyngsat. I know people have advised that lyngsat is often out of date, but is there another place I can go to discover the details for the transponders that I need to successfully tune it in?

this is what I know
    Satellite 124E JCsat
    L (Satellite longitude): 124.0 E
    F (Transponder frequency): 12340
    SR (Symbol rate): 15000
    LO (Local oscillator frequency): 10600
    LNB (horizontal polarization switch): 18V
    22KHz Control: On

The transponder list for Ku_JCSAT 4B should list (3):

12331 H 30000
    12322 H 15000
    12340 H 15000

But I can't find FEC , QPSK or 8PSK, confirmation of symbol rate.. etc.

Can anyone point me to a useful site to find these?

Premium Member

Thanks

Not having used or seen a vu+duo, I am guessing it has two separate Tuners and cable inputs (?) which would explain why you could connect 2 LNB's to the STB.
    I am also surmising that this would allow you to use a Ku LNB on one Dish and a C band LNB on the other apart from having each dish set on another Satellite.
    I have no idea why doing this might affect any recordings, thats something you will have seek advise elsewhere on that.
    I gather Lyngsat relies on information supplied by others so this is where it pays to check other Forums for information.

When you obtained this STB, was it already 'registered' to receive those programs or did you have to do that when you connected it to a dish?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post

When you obtained this STB, was it already 'registered' to receive those programs or did you have to do that when you connected it to a dish?
    no. the STB could tune the transponders, but no decryption yet, they are waiting on my boxid for that.
    The box that came with the disk was pre-configured

but with my vu+duo I can't even tune in the transponders

Thanks

I feel like there is some small vital piece of information I'm lacking. I have removed my 'other dish' and have decided to try and tune this tuner in. I have to use a use defined lnb. I'm guessing this satellite is KU since the frequency given above seems in that range. I've set the lnb three different times to the 3 different KU band LOF and nothing. The STB that came with, works fine, but I can't get my VU+Duo to even tune in the sat, much less tell me the channels are encrypted.

I'm trying to find out if I have something wrong, like the threshold, or the symbol rate, or the modulation, or the FEC. But I can't find that info on those three transponders anywhere.

-gimpel

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

You need to physically look at the lnb and use the setting in the vu duo. Or get the lnb lo setting from the menu of the working box.
    Or try a blind scan with the vu duo.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Premium Member

Thanks

Is it possible that this new service is using a HD signal and the vu+Duo is incapable of receiving it?
    Here in OZ, the Terrestrial TV services began using MPEG4 recently and many digital TV's cannot receive that format.

As you not using the DisQc option, do you need the 22 Khz control ON?

Thanks

Gordon,
    the original STB has the 22 khz option on, which on the vu+duo openpli I believe is called 'Tone' So I turned it on. That didn't make a difference. I will try Hoe's suggestion.

This is great help.

Unfortunately the STB that came with is SO simple, that you can't get that level of detail from the configuration, All I could gleen from that STB I posted above.

As far as HD signal, my VU+duo can handle HD and mpeg4 unless, you mean something else by HD (other than High Def.)

Thanks

So I did look at the lnb, but I'm not sure what to make of the info:
    model: sk00J2-NS - 0.8db
    low band ip freq: 10.70-11.70Ghz
    high band freq: 11.70-12.75 Ghz
    op freq: 1100-2130mhz
    lo freq: 8.75/10.60ghz

So how would I program the lnb tuner on the sat box, isn't there some formula for converting this into numbers the satbox understands?
    Last edited by gimpel; 27-07-16 at 11:52 PM.

Thanks

Though I can't find my transponders in ANY database online or forum... I did a search for TVWAN on 124E and found several very NEAR transponders,
    all of which claimed their mode/encryption type to be either

DVB, Multi 2
    DVB S2, Mpeg4/HD

I know my vu+duo will do DVB s2 /Mpeg4 (but I'm unsure if it'll do the above two.)
    What I dont' know yet is whether or not my vu+duo can use this type of signal, is it an old one or a new one?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

So I did look at the lnb, but I'm not sure what to make of the info:
    model: sk00J2-NS - 0.8db
    low band ip freq: 10.70-11.70Ghz
    high band freq: 11.70-12.75 Ghz
    op freq: 1100-2130mhz
    lo freq: 8.75/10.60ghz

So how would I program the lnb tuner on the sat box, isn't there some formula for converting this into numbers the satbox understands?
    I couldn't find any data for the sk00J2-NS LNB so I wonder if the model number is correct?.

That aside, this is how I interpret the specifications you have cited.

The LNB you refer to is a dual band type similar to a so-called Universal LNB.

It can receive frequencies in two bands.

The first band (low band) is for reception of transponders operating on a frequency between 10.7 GHz (10700 MHz) and 11.7 GHz (11700 MHz).

The second band (high band) is for reception of transponders operating on a frequency between 11.7 GHz (11700 MHz) and 12.75 GHz (12750 MHz).

The LNB is therefore capable of receiving frequencies in the range 10.7 GHz to 12.75 GHz.

If you wish to receive frequencies between 10.7 GHz and 11.7 GHz the receiver's local oscillator (LO) frequency should be set to 8.75 GHz.

If you wish to receive frequencies between 11.7 GHz and 12.75 GHz you set the satellite receivers local oscillator to 10.6 GHz.

From the above it follows that in order for you to receive the frequencies you refer to in your post #6 (12331 H 30000, 12322 H 15000, 12340 H 15000) the local oscillator in your receiver should be set to the higher of the two values, i.e. 10.6 GHz (10600 MHz).

"op freq: 1100-2130mhz" refers to the output frequency range, which is also the input frequency range of the satellite receiver (typically 950MHz - 2150MHz_.

Is the service you are attempting to receive the one referred to at and

If we are talking about pay-television which DigicelPlay provides, I suggest that decryption of the encrypted signal takes place entirely within the receiver (without the presence of a smartcard). In other words, the decryption system/algorithm etc. is integral to the receiver hardware/firmware.

This being the case, I seriously doubt that you will get any receiver other than the one supplied by the pay-tv providor to work, as DigicelPlay probably uses a proprietary encryption system of some kind, i.e. your VU+ Duo will be incapable of decrypting the signal as it will not recognize the decryption in use.
    Last edited by tristen; 28-07-16 at 05:59 PM. Reason: More info appended.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

gimpel (28-07-16),macca (28-07-16)

Thanks

Tristan, thank you. I was expecting that I would be able to tune in the transponders if I set the LNB properly and get a signal lock, but then be able to decrypt them. Still, if I couldn't get a lock, I can't get test the theory. I will try this! Thank you very much.

Also playing around with the STB I found the CAS information, which has a smart card number registered.
    I opened the box and saw no smartcard, which tells me, as you said, the entire service is dependent on that STB.

Which is a shame, because this is a good service, with good signal, but the STB that comes with it is single tuner, and a very very simple box. It would be nice for my grandmother, but not for me.

-Gimpel

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

If you wish to record and/or stream the decrypted programs perhaps it is possible to connect the output(s) of the official receiver to a recording/streaming device and use the published program guide at to enable scheduling of recording and streaming as need be.

What output(s) is/are on the receiver?

Thanks

hdmi and RCA and 'loop thru' coax are the only outputs

Premium Member

Thanks

Which is a shame, because this is a good service, with good signal, but the STB that comes with it is single tuner, and a very very simple box. It would be nice for my grandmother, but not for me.

-Gimpel
    You have to remember that a PayTV service STB is meant to be as simple as possible for a Customer like your Grandmother to use and the system 'Bullet Proof' so that only paid subscribers can view the signal.

Thanks

Gordon - thanks, I agree. I am a paying subscriber who can't use the box he wants though. I find that rather limiting and enough to make me drop the service. It's hard to go back to a lesser tuner.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast