Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Fibre Cement

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Default Cutting Fibre Cement

Internet keeps telling me to use special blades but everybody on the net just wants your money anyway.

It is just a one off job, so I don't want to spend hundreds on a special blade, that I also can't get at the local stores (Bunnings).

Can I get away with a normal circular saw blade?

The board is a decent 16mm thick.
    I will need to cut a bit over 1500mm overall length.
    Don't care if the blade is stuffed after that.
    I just want to know if it will last for that length or is there any other way to cut it with standard DIY equipment?

Also thinking of using an angle grinder but keeping a straight line and the massive dust would be my concern.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Look Here ->
    Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

I usually just use my circular saw but 16 mm is thicker than I would normally cut....maybe a angel grinder with a stone wheel?????
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Thanks

Tile cutting blade, wet it down and wear a mask. Having someone there to put water on as your cutting keeps the dust down a lot..

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crafty For This Useful Post:

Tiny (21-07-16),Uncle Fester (21-07-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

they are not expensive blades
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

I also heard the other day that cheap Chinese cement sheeting has been found to contain asbestos.....be aware!
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to porkop For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (21-07-16),Learjet (23-07-16),Tiny (21-07-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Circular saw with a concrete cutting blade.

Take note of porkchops words......

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
    Tile cutting blade, wet it down and wear a mask. Having someone there to put water on as your cutting keeps the dust down a lot..
    Best answer so far.
    I do still have a tile cutting blade for the angle grinder that is not completely worn out.

However just hope my RCD breaker does it's job when the water gets sucked into the angle grinder's air cooling.
    Why the heck do angle grinders spin anticlockwise so that the dust and grit (and in this case water droplets) always blows back to the tool and worker when you need to cut along a line. Same with the bloody Dremel unless you are left handed.

Only thing for the circular saw in Bunnings would cost almost $100.
    Wanted the job done on weekend.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 21-07-16 at 12:04 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Best answer so far.
    I do still have a tile cutting blade for the angle grinder that is not completely worn out.

However just hope my RCD breaker does it's job when the water gets sucked into the angle grinder's air cooling.
    Why the heck do angle grinders spin anticlockwise so that the dust and grit (and in this case water droplets) always blows back to the tool and worker when you need to cut along a line. Same with the bloody Dremel unless you are left handed.

Only thing for the circular saw in Bunnings would cost almost $100.
    Wanted the job done on weekend.
    That is so the grinder pulls away from you in case of a mishap

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to watchdog For This Useful Post:

Tiny (21-07-16),Uncle Fester (21-07-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
    That is so the grinder pulls away from you in case of a mishap
    From what I remember a hand held circular saw operates the other way.
    I remember that it could kick back quit mighty it it got somehow wedged or hit something hard in the wood. This scared me so much that I don't use it any more, can't even find it to check if i am right about the opposite rotation.
    I have a table saw that uses a relatively large blade, so a concrete or fibre cement blade would cost too much for this one task.

I noticed that these boards soak up water like a sponge.
    It is raining and I am going to leave the board outside in the hope that it gets completely soaked through so there should be no fine airborne dust if I try with the grinder tomorrow.

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Why the heck do angle grinders spin anticlockwise
    I dunno about that....
    I just looked at mine and it has an arrow pointing in a clockwise direction.

Thanks

Silicosis
    Be careful of the dust even if it doesnt have asbestos its still not good for you

Thanks
    Thanked 3,474 Times in 1,534 Posts

Bunnings sell a Trojan Fibro Cutter for around $45, stuff using a grinder that dust is a killer

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    I dunno about that....
    Maybe if you swap the active & neutral --- nah forget about it ( I am just joking)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

How many meters of cutting, don't bother with a fibro cutting disc as it will last 2 secs, hand saw for about $15 with hardened tips, cut and throw. Do the edges have to be clean cuts as you can scour and break?
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
    Maybe if you swap the active & neutral --- nah forget about it ( I am just joking)
    LOL, thought about swapping the field coil polarity long time ago as this has always annoyed me but the disc would always come loose being mounted with a right hand thread.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Bunnings sell a Trojan Fibro Cutter for around $45, ...
    I thought of these too, but haven't seen one that will take 16mm sheet that the OP has.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (21-07-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    I dunno about that....
    Depends from what side you look.
    But if you hold it with the right hand so you can see the disc grind along a scoured line, the dust and the work piece, if it is not secured properly, will shoot back towards you. Short cuts can be done from the front edge of the disc so the sparks go straight down but not when you have to work along a sheet.
    I can't remember ever seeing and angle grinder that works opposite.

I could try to holding it the wrong way from the left but I don't feel like I have a safe grip or like having my right arm fairly close over the disc even though it is partly covered.
    Mask, soaked though wet board and slow speed cutting should be the safest way.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 21-07-16 at 07:33 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,474 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    but haven't seen one that will take 16mm sheet that the OP has.
    Actually you are correct, from memory when I looked at one it only said up to 10mm?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Depends from what side you look.
    But if you hold it with the right hand so you can see the disc grind along a scoured line, the dust and the work piece, if it is not secured properly, will shoot back towards you. Short cuts can be done from the front edge of the disc so the sparks go straight down but not when you have to work along a sheet.
    I can't remember ever seeing and angle grinder that works opposite.

I could try to holding it the wrong way from the left but I don't feel like I have a safe grip or like having my right arm fairly close over the disc even though it is partly covered.
    Mask, soaked though wet board and slow speed cutting should be the safest way.
    Ive spent years cutting steel with 9 inch angle grinders, sparks and steel straight onto the legs is no issue once your use to it, not to mention you should keep what your cutting low and be bent over the work piece so the off shoot goes right between your feet and not high up and into your body, you can control this by how high up you let the disc cut into the material, the further down you drop the blade into the material the lower the dust throw.

I wouldnt be using water with 240 v power tools.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    Ive spent years cutting steel with 9 inch angle grinders, sparks and steel straight onto the legs is no issue once your use to it, not to mention you should keep what your cutting low and be bent over the work piece so the off shoot goes right between your feet and not high up and into your body, you can control this by how high up you let the disc cut into the material, the further down you drop the blade into the material the lower the dust throw.

I wouldnt be using water with 240 v power tools.
    That is much easier with a large 9" disc but these little tile cutters are 115mm and I only a have a grinder that does 125mm max. that I have been using for over 30 years. German AEG with speed control under constant high torque.
    In the past I have been cutting marble bench tops for stoves with it because the electricians won't touch that dusty work. How great would it be if it would blow the dust forwards directly into a vacuum cleaner nozzle held by a helper in front of it. A helper holds the vacuum cleaner sideways behind me but it is not that effective and we wear masks and cover our faces with wet towels. I also don't expect asbestos in granite or marble.

Anyhow the tile cutters give me an inch of depth if I work along a board with less than 10mm protruding through the bottom of the 16mm sheet, so there is no way to direct the dust down to my legs.

Yes, decided I won't be having anybody pouring water over the disc while I am cutting. I will probably have to stop from time to time and clean the disc from clogged up moist cement from the pre-soaked board.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 21-07-16 at 09:57 PM.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast