Thread: Software to generate sequential numbers on a webpage

Thanks

Default Software to generate sequential numbers on a webpage

Hi All,
    I am in search of some (hopefully free) software that will generate consecutive invoice/order numbers on a web page that can be sent to me with the order form. My site is a MS FrontPage site. At present my order forms are sent back to me with all fields filled in - including credit card number, expiry, name etc. (They are simple FrontPage Tables.) As my banking requirements have changed, I now need to add something that will send a new order number with each form. I tried to use a hit counter but of course I couldn't figure any way to get it sent back to me. Any help / suggestions will be much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

your better off not using front page, and investigate a better system, ie wordpress or zencart. also sending and storing credit card numbers another security factor you need to consider...
    or if you must use front page you would need to look at an asp or even php script to do the dynamic numbering.

• The Following User Says Thank You to jamie_s For This Useful Post:

storrier (24-07-16)

Thanks

Thanks Jamie. I know FP is a tad out-dated but the whole site is FP an has been up for 17 years. As I am not conversant with coding etc., and will be retiring reasonably soon, as little anxt as possible is what I seek. Many thanks.

Thanks

the only way i can see it working, and if your server supports it is to use a php script. store an number in a file on the server, have the php script open the file and use the number, increment by one and resave it.
    but will require coding.
    take a look at

you will need RW access permissios for the file on the server

• The Following User Says Thank You to jamie_s For This Useful Post:

storrier (25-07-16)

Thanks

Thanks again Jamie - I realise I may be reacting a little too quickly with this. I still have to find out exactly what the bank is going to require - very hard to speak with anyone there who actually knows how their system works!! Anyway, I may be able to use a simple local system for generating invoice numbers - not sure as yet. I will post an outcome here as soon as I have one. Many thanks for your help again. Cheers, Storrier

Thanks

If you are receiving credit card data via a web page, make sure that you have familiarised yourself with the Payment Card Security Standards:

The requirements for handling credit card information are onerous - even for web developers and sys admins dealing with this stuff every day. Everything, including your backups needs to be encrypted to their standard (but that's not all - there are many other things to consider). If your site and/or back-end systems do not comply and credit card data gets disclosed to third parties, it could be a very expensive learning experience for you.

Thanks

Thank you Shred - my original query seems to have been sorted by my bank. However, thanks to your post I might have to undertake some re-assessment of the methods being used. I was not aware of the enormity of the issue before you brought it to my attention. I sincerely thank you.