Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dash cams

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Probably been asked a 1000 times, but here goes again, Ive set a budget for a dash cam for $150 or less, anyone got and recommendations?, I bought one a few weeks ago from a dodgy asian ebay seller, who completely lied about the specs, surprise surprise typical asians ripping of Australians with their cheap rubbish, well technically not cheap $105 and it was faulty of course, I eventually got a refund. What do you suggest?
    Why dont you go into playstore and download dash cam , then just use your mobile phone no problems !!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HILLVIEW103 View Post
    Why dont you go into playstore and download dash cam , then just use your mobile phone no problems !!
    Rick asked that question on the 25th of July, only problem is it was 12 months ago
    But i am interested in your app, can you post some footage, never even thought of my mobile as a dash cam
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    Rick asked that question on the 25th of July, only problem is it was 12 months ago
    But i am interested in your app, can you post some footage, never even thought of my mobile as a dash cam
    Hav'nt got any footage yet, just got this thing to put my phone on the windscreen $2.99 on ebay free postage

Thanks
    Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,531 Posts

Hmmm I was told by police that I cant use my mobile phone as a GPS just for the simple reason its still a phone, I asked whats the difference to having an actual GPS as that is still classified as a mobile device

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Hmmm I was told by police that I cant use my mobile phone as a GPS just for the simple reason its still a phone, I asked whats the difference to having an actual GPS as that is still classified as a mobile device
    Is this when your Phone is in a holder, fixed to your vehicle?
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Partly correct.

You can use your phone as phone, camera, GPS, music player etc... providing it's in an approved holder and that you don't touch it whilst the vehicle is not parked.

Most states/territories ban the use of mobile phones altogether by drivers with certain licence levels... eg: Probationary.

Using a dedicated GPS is OK by law... silly rule IMHO that touching a screen is touching a screen, no matter what you call it.

You can still be charged for operating a GPS whilst driving if it causes an impairment to your driving. Operate a vehicle in an unsafe manner, etc.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Rick (22-08-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks

There’s a common myth that a driver can use their mobile phone while sitting in traffic or at traffic lights – and it’s incorrect – so drivers, when thinking of using your mobile phone, remember the advice from MC Hammer “Can’t touch this”.

Don’t be that person who uses their mobile while driving, you face a fine of $300 and 3 demerit points – and worse, with the inattention you risk crashing and seriously injuring or killing yourself or someone else.

It is illegal to touch your mobile phone while driving this includes having your mobile sitting on your lap and touching and part of the phone for GPS.

The ONLY time it is legal for a driver to use their mobile phone is if it is mounted within the vehicle and can be used WITHOUT touching any part of it.
    M C Hammer, Can't touch this! Bahahahahaha, who is the person a Tas Pol trying to be hip for the older generation
    Last edited by ol' boy; 22-08-17 at 08:42 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Rick (22-08-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Its a bit different in Victoria...

Fully licensed car drivers

Using a mobile phone while driving is prohibited, except to make or receive a phone call or to use its audio/music functions provided the phone:

is secured in a commercially designed holder fixed to the vehicle, or
    can be operated by the driver without touching any part of the phone, and the phone is not resting on any part of the driver's body.
    Using a phone as a navigational device/GPS while driving is prohibited unless it is secured in a commercially designed holder fixed to the vehicle. All other functions (including video calls, texting and emailing) are prohibited.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Given the functions of many of the head units installed into cars these days, you should not even be able to turn on the radio. (Not all cars have steering wheel controls.)
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12