Thread: Recommended HDD Size

Thanks

Default Recommended HDD Size

I have just bought a NVR, 8 port POE that can take 2 of HDD at max of 6TB each.
    My plan is to have 4 of 4K cameras and 4 of 1080p cameras connected.
    After googling CCTV HDD's it appears to me that 4TB drives are the most affordable way to go. This would give me a total of 8TB.
    I would like to be able to store 14 days footage. I know it would dramatically reduce the HDD size needed if i set everything to motion detect record only but if I were to leave each record 24/7, how big a HDD would i need?
    The only guides that I can find relate to all cameras needing to be 1080. Does anyone know of a 4K & 1080 mix guide?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Really depends on the NVR's recording compression / format as well. eg H264, H265, H265+

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by statesmanjeff View Post
    I have just bought a NVR, 8 port POE that can take 2 of HDD at max of 6TB each.
    My plan is to have 4 of 4K cameras and 4 of 1080p cameras connected.
    After googling CCTV HDD's it appears to me that 4TB drives are the most affordable way to go. This would give me a total of 8TB.
    I would like to be able to store 14 days footage. I know it would dramatically reduce the HDD size needed if i set everything to motion detect record only but if I were to leave each record 24/7, how big a HDD would i need?
    The only guides that I can find relate to all cameras needing to be 1080. Does anyone know of a 4K & 1080 mix guide?

If you go with H.265 Compression (I recommend it), and put recording to 15 frames per second then you can get 35 days of recording. These calculations are made by Hikvision Software so other brands may have small variations.
    Actually there is a way of reducing storage requirements dramatically. Some NVR's can record on "motion detection" on full frames per second and when there is no motion it will record much lower frames "Like 1 or 2 frames per second or as you like". It is like a hybrid of continues and motion detection recording.If your NVR support this feature then i suspect that 4TB HDD is more than enough for you. Cheers,

MJ1984