Thread: options for 24vac pan/tilt power derived from 12vdc solar setup?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default options for 24vac pan/tilt power derived from 12vdc solar setup?

G'day!

I have an application that involves running a speed dome camera (24VAC input) from a 12VDC solar setup (no mains available)

I don't want to go down the path of using a 12 ->240 inverter and a wall wart as it is too lossy, and the only 2 readily available options I've seen are the Powerstream and absopulse dc12-ac24 inverters (approx $200+ each)

i've made enquiries about another unit on alibaba, but short of that, has anyone here used another method of conversion?

Will a 24vac camera run off a square wave inverted ac or is pure sine necessary?

Have thought of modifying a cheap square wave output 12vdc -> 240vac inverter to give me 24vac instead, but thought I'd ask here!

(There is always the option of modifying the camera itself, as it probably converts the ac back to dc anyway, but then the camera warranty is screwed)

CHEERS!!!

2. Look Here ->

Thanks

If it's an analogue camera, dirty (square wave) AC will impact on the image quality. Most cameras have some level of filtering on board but they tend not to like diviating too far from a sign wave or from 50Hz. You'll get wavy lines or sync related issues. Depending on the drive mechanism and how that's controlled, you might also do damage there.

Best to stick with the more costly options are they're going to give you the best result. $200 isn't much in comparison to the cost of a quality speed dome

Thanks

Thanks Drift.......

This is an ip camera application, and the running price (I've since found out) for the power inverter is closer to $300.

I guess I'd really like to know if it will work using other types of inverter, and how forgiving the cameras are re: square wave AC.

I've also found an active POE splitter that will convert 24vdc to 24vac on the output and says it is designed for just this application.

It makes no mention of being pure sine, and is only about us$80

Stepping up dc12 to dc 24v then sending to the active splitter to power the camera over the cabling is a nice option!

Is anyone currently powering an AC 24v camera from battery/screen source? Care to check the output waveform and post results?

Cheers!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Dahua make a mini speed dome that runs on 24vdc. We use a 24vdc solar setup, also runs the ubiquiti gear too. Just a thought.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by knight2001dts View Post
    G'day!

I have an application that involves running a speed dome camera (24VAC input) from a 12VDC solar setup (no mains available)

I don't want to go down the path of using a 12 ->240 inverter and a wall wart as it is too lossy, and the only 2 readily available options I've seen are the Powerstream and absopulse dc12-ac24 inverters (approx $200+ each)

i've made enquiries about another unit on alibaba, but short of that, has anyone here used another method of conversion?

Will a 24vac camera run off a square wave inverted ac or is pure sine necessary?

Have thought of modifying a cheap square wave output 12vdc -> 240vac inverter to give me 24vac instead, but thought I'd ask here!

(There is always the option of modifying the camera itself, as it probably converts the ac back to dc anyway, but then the camera warranty is screwed)

CHEERS!!!

G'day Knight2001dts

I am not sure if you already have made the investment and bought the equipments. I have been in almost similar situation, maybe you can buy Solar UPS PoE Switch. It is basically a PoE switch that can be connected to the Solar Panel and Battery. When there is solar energy the switch will deliver power to the camera through PoE, extra energy will be stored in battery. At night it will utilize energy stored at the battery. If you share the specs of the camera maybe i and other members can help you more.
    This solution is cost effective.
    Cheers,

MJ1984
    Last edited by MJ1984; 06-07-19 at 07:07 PM.