Thread: 3.5mm to RCA Component adapter

Thanks

Default 3.5mm to RCA Component adapter

Hi all, I have a curly one

I've got a mate with a samsung 55" TV that has broken his composite RCA adapter... it's te funny little proprietary plug that connects to 3 rca for composite video and sound... the actual connector on the back of the TV has come off...
    So to get him up and running I suggested he use the component video out of his foxtel box instead.. and use a 3.5mm to component cable that's supplied with the tv..
    of course he can't find his adapter cable.. I have one from a panasonic tv... same thing 3.5mm to 3 rca component but don't know if its the same thing.
    I don't want to drive to the other side of the city with an adapter that might not work.

Does anyone have a samsung one they'de be prepared to put a multimeter on to confirm if the pinouts are the same as this panasonic one I have here?

It's probably only a $20 item on ebay but he really wants to watch the footy tomorrow night..... and if I know it'll work I go to the effort of driving across melbourne to get it to him..

TIA

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Doesn't the screen have RCA component inputs?

If yes, just use RCA - RCA cables.

All of the 3.5mm - RCA cables I've ever seen are composite, not component.

What does the 3.5mm connector connect to?

Thanks

no it has this strange almost like a ziff connector for the composite and it has a 3.5mm trrs style plug for component and another for the component audio. the set is normally supplied with the little 3.5mm to rca adapters but they guy has lost his component one.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

If it's literally just a cable, with no conversion, etc... I would expect any trrs 3.5mm - RCA cable to be suitable.

You'd just need to match up which signal is on which connector... I'm guessing that's what you're asking about.

Thanks

My Samsung TV is a different size/model, but here is a pic showing the pinout from my cable...

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DaveW For This Useful Post:

beeblebrox (17-08-16),gordon_s1942 (13-08-16),mtv (13-08-16),tristen (13-08-16)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I have got exactly the same cable with a portable DVD player, only the cable is 300mm long and the RCA connectors are Plugs, not sockets.
    I have another one put away 'safely' from another devise that no longer works.

I wondered which band did what, thanks for that DaveW.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 13-08-16 at 02:04 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Dave, you saved me an hour drive for nothing.... many thanks. the panasonic one i have has the common on the 2nd ring not the 3rd ring like the samsung one you have!

i managed to get hime a Samsung one eventually but he had to go without his foxtel for a few days... told him he should have had foxtel send him a box wih hmi......

anyway thanks again!