Thread: New to the VAST, a few queries

Thanks

Default New to the VAST, a few queries

Hi, so I bought a rural property recently and you can imagine my surprise when it came to plugging in my TV, only to find I had inherited a strange set-top box and a satellite dish. Checking to see that the house could receive digital television didn't even cross my mind.

Anyway, it is what it is and I'll just have to make some adjustments. I have a couple of entry-level questions I hoped someone could help me out with. I have read the forum but am just after a little clarification.

1. Is it true that if I signed up for Foxtel I wouldn't be able to get the FTA channels (except ABC and SBS) on Foxtel, because that needs a digital signal?
    2. The plug on the wall from the satellite has two outputs - is that what one would call a dual LNB and does that mean I can buy another STB and plug it in to the output and connect to a second TV in a different room?
    3. Is there a catch to buying/registering two STBs? The one I have was presumably registered by the previous owner and it does work. Do I just buy another one and register its details under my name? Is the address duplication a problem?
    4. If I bought the HDR-1003S set-top box, can it still record two shows at once, without needing the second output on the LNB?

Thanks, apologies if these are really dense questions.
    Cheers
    Justin

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Welcome to the World of VAST.
    My guess is as there is no terrestrial TV available there means your most likely in an old AUSTAR area which means all you can get via Foxtel is the ABC and SBS.
    If this is correct, it means you cannot get an IQ stb from Foxtel nor will they allow you to transfer one from a Metropolitan area to your current location.
    Instead you will get a STB called MyStar which is similar to the IQ.
    2/. it does and you can but there are 'restrictions' if you were to try and run a Foxtel STB and a VAST stb on those connections. MORE later.

3/. None what so ever, you can own 10 VAST STB's if you want.

I have never tried to transfer 'Authorisation' from one person to another but cant see any difficulties in doing so nor any problems in you registering a STB in your own name at that address.

Cant answer query 4 as I dont have any knowledge on that STB and I have never recorded VAST.

With VAST, you can run more than one STB from just ONE of those outputs but using the 2 is better.

Would you say which area your in, nearest main town is close enough please?
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 23-08-16 at 03:37 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

countryboy (23-08-16)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    1. Is it true that if I signed up for Foxtel I wouldn't be able to get the FTA channels (except ABC and SBS) on Foxtel, because that needs a digital signal?
    All signals, satellite and terrestrial, are digital.

Foxtel only includes commercial TV channels in metropolitan cities, so for regional areas (which I assume you're in) you require a terrestrial TV antenna to receive the commercial channels. Obviously, if commercial channels are available via FTA terrestrial, ABC and SBS would also be received that way too.

Naturally, if terrestrial signals are not available at your location, you need VAST to receive FTA TV, which you have.

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy
    2. The plug on the wall from the satellite has two outputs - is that what one would call a dual LNB and does that mean I can buy another STB and plug it in to the output and connect to a second TV in a different room?
    It most likely does mean there's a dual LNB.

If you have two satellite decoders that only require a single input from an LNB, (eg VAST) yes, two separate decoders can be connected independently.
    Foxtel decoders require two connections.
    If you require more connections, adding a multiswitch will provide additional connections. This would be a better way of installing outlets in extra rooms.

3. Is there a catch to buying/registering two STBs? The one I have was presumably registered by the previous owner and it does work. Do I just buy another one and register its details under my name? Is the address duplication a problem?
    No problem buying and registering additional VAST decoders.

When registering, there is an option to add any existing registered VAST smartcard at the address. This speeds up the approval process.

4. If I bought the HDR-1003S set-top box, can it still record two shows at once, without needing the second output on the LNB?
    Yes, the dual tuner in the Humax HDR-1003S allows you to record two programs simultaneously. You need to ensure you have a hard drive installed in the decoder though, as that decoder is sold both with or without a HDD.

Hope this helps.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

countryboy (23-08-16),OSIRUS (23-08-16),Smacca (24-08-16),Tiny (24-08-16)

Thanks

Ok thanks for that, I think all my questions were answered. I am in a regional area, Bendemeer NSW, so yes it would be the case that Foxtel would show only ABC and SBS. I had thought that just getting Foxtel would be simpler than persisting with VAST but not if if doesn't show the FTA channels and I would have to mess around with 2 dishes and 2 set-top boxes, one VAST and one Foxtel.

Administrator
    Thanks

Foxtel and VAST can utilise one dish and a Dual LNB with a mulitswitch, so you have the required number of outlets. (2 for Foxtel and 1 for VAST) a Quad output LNB (4 connections) can also be used.

You would still need the two separate decoders of course.

If you only want the FTA channels, no point in paying for Foxtel.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Tiny (23-08-16),william10 (23-08-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    If you only want the FTA channels, no point in paying for Foxtel.
    That's pretty much it. If Foxtel could have provided the FTA channels I wouldn't have minded paying $35 a month or whatever.

Premium Member

Thanks

Talk about being Geographically challenged, I thought Bendemeer was in the Southern Tablelands (Picton/Mittagong/Moss Vale) not 3 long steps East of the Black Stump!!!
    Of no use to you at the moment, there is a site called 'Myswitch.digitalready.gov.au' that shows what is available both for Satellite and Terrestrial TV throughout Australia. Could be useful if you are a caravanner or traveler.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

william10 (23-08-16)

Thanks

Yes we're a little bit rural, but not as rural as some!

Out of interest, are there any plans to expand the digital coverage footprint or is it pretty much fixed as it is (for rural folk like myself, not fast growing outer suburbs of Sydney).

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

Yes we're a little bit rural, but not as rural as some!

Out of interest, are there any plans to expand the digital coverage footprint or is it pretty much fixed as it is (for rural folk like myself, not fast growing outer suburbs of Sydney).
    It is most likely the Terrestrial FTA Digital footprint will remain the way it is for your area ......

The only way the FTA Terrestrial broadcasters will install more broadcast transmitters would be if there were a sizable increase in population in your area warranting the expense ......

Have a look around to see if your neighbors can get FTA Terrestrial TV reception successfully or not ? ... if not you probably can't either .... & then Vast is your "only" option for FTA

If you have good enough internet some FTA channels are streaming on the Catch up sites like 9Now, Plus7 etc .... on your computer & other devices

If you try to transfer the existing Vast STB into your name you may need to know the Name of the person, address ... etc .... it was registered in ..... ?

(but maybe you could talk to someone at Vast registrations & explain that you bought the property & the STB came with the property & see what your options are ?.....)

Or just register any new Vast STB's in your name at your New address ...... they will tell you if there are any problems & then you can tell them you bought the property recently etc ...
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 23-08-16 at 08:22 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

• The Following User Says Thank You to OSIRUS For This Useful Post:

Smacca (24-08-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OSIRUS View Post
    It is most likely the Terrestrial FTA Digital footprint will remain the way it is for your area ......

The only way the FTA Terrestrial broadcasters will install more broadcast transmitters would be if there were a sizable increase in population in your area warranting the expense ......

Have a look around to see if your neighbors can get FTA Terrestrial TV reception successfully or not ? ... if not you probably can't either .... & then Vast is your "only" option for FTA

If you have good enough internet some FTA channels are streaming on the Catch up sites like 9Now, Plus7 etc .... on your computer & other devices
    Not much chance of a population boom in Bendemeer, more like a slow gradual decline.

Getting decent internet is a saga in itself. Then again, I chose to live in the country, if I wanted fast and reliable internet I could always move to Sydney.

Premium Member

Thanks

As Osirus says there wont be much possibility of any of the 'Broadcasters' installing a Translator there any time soon but there is the option of a self Help Terrestrial Translator being installed by the locals or the local Council.
    As for the Internet, I would be not be surprised if your not covered by the new Satellite service called SkyMuster unless you already have an ADSL service or Wireless and I am NOT referring to Wireless Mobile.
    You can contact the NBN to see what coverage is available in your area.
    The Satellite system has its quirks but it is a damn sight cheaper than Mobile Broadband.

Thanks

We actually are in an NBN Fixed Wireless service area, although the house itself can't get a decent signal. I'm therefore in the early stages of building a small relay 'base station' to relay the signal from up the hill back down to the house. It's nothing more than a concrete slab with a 3 metre pole, with an electricity box attached, as well as space for solar panels and a back-up battery. The NBN receiver gets attached to the pole and then gets relayed to the house.

Administrator
    Thanks

We actually are in an NBN Fixed Wireless service area, although the house itself can't get a decent signal. I'm therefore in the early stages of building a small relay 'base station' to relay the signal from up the hill back down to the house. It's nothing more than a concrete slab with a 3 metre pole, with an electricity box attached, as well as space for solar panels and a back-up battery. The NBN receiver gets attached to the pole and then gets relayed to the house.
    Unless you have a licence for it, if its a repeater, it would be illegal and can cause interference to the network.

If it's just a receiver and cabled from the receiver to the house, no problem, providing all cabling is installed and certified by a licensed cabler.

How do you intend to get signals to the house?

I'm guessing you don't have NBN wireless connected yet.... because usually, NBN Co won't perform an installation where reception isn't within specs.

It would be highly unlikely they'd perform a wireless installation to a hilltop pole as you suggest.

Very frustrating for you, being 'on the edge' of reception.

Thanks

The relay device is a Nanostation Wi-Fi link, it's not the actual NBN signal which gets relayed. It's basically one of these:

The installation will look very similar to this:

NBN has already said they're happy for me to go ahead and a technician has confirmed I can get a decent signal from halfway up the hill (the property is 150 acres).

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to countryboy For This Useful Post:

mtv (24-08-16),tristen (24-08-16)

Administrator
    Thanks

Nice solution.

Good to hear NBN are being more flexible with where they will install.

Nice area BTW... spent some time in Tamworth many years ago.

Sorry for off-topic.. should really belong in the NBN section, but see the correlation of lack of signals in general.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OSIRUS View Post

If you try to transfer the existing Vast STB into your name you may need to know the Name of the person, address ... etc .... it was registered in ..... ?

(but maybe you could talk to someone at Vast registrations & explain that you bought the property & the STB came with the property & see what your options are ?.....)

Or just register any new Vast STB's in your name at your New address ...... they will tell you if there are any problems & then you can tell them you bought the property recently etc ...
    I agree with all previous comments.

You can play around with the website and enter towns nearby to see what FTA signal, if any, are available in the areas.
    Move the pointer around and hit the closest transmitter icon to see what is closest to you.

The closest FTA transmitters to your area is SW of Tamworth which shows some fringe signal gets close to your area.
    Another transmitter is at Uralla, but fringe signal doesn't get close to your area.

As others have mentioned, check what your neighbours have, see if they have TV antennas mounted high, or satellite dishes on roofs only...
    Last edited by Xplorer; 25-08-16 at 08:52 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xplorer For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (26-08-16),Softek2 (26-08-16)

Premium Member

Thanks

As we all know, maps are only a guide and as MTV, antennaman and others will attest, they expect to find a signal where the maps show it should be but it may not happen that way just as an area outside the map shows nothing, again you might be lucky and find something.
    Do as Xplorer suggests and as your traveling around the area, just keep an eye out to see who has what by the way of antennas.
    In a deep fringe area as you most likely are, having VAST at least gives you a reliable reception where any terrestrial signal could be very erratic.

Being close to Sydney, I like my TEN news at night to see the Traffic Helicopter reports which unfortunately none of the VAST News channels carry.