Thread: Self-Help system using VAST retransmissions remote community

Thanks

Default Self-Help system using VAST retransmissions remote community

Hi,

This message is directed more towards those who have designed and installed self-help retransmission systems

Yes - We know the legalities and requirements under BSA etc, we know we need agreement with VAST for commercial networks but not the ABC etc - the lawyers are worrying about paperwork and ACMA, but before we get to that stage, we need to understand how it works for our purpose.

I know we can use a multiplexer to combine all these into one antennae and amplified splitter to hang off the sat dish, just cant nut out the bits in the middle.

So, looking to find out if we want to bring in 2,7,9, and 10 and their secondary channels, eg: 7, 72,73,74, do we really need a satellite decoder (demodulator?) and transmitter for each separate digital channel?

For our example above, in just using seven network alone, do we actually need 4 separate demodulators and 4 transmitters? I thought they were just like sub carriers of the main centre frequency, meaning 1 demodulator and transmitter for seven network would send all 7's channels (7,72,72,74.7x) ?, and so on for each other network?

Even with only 10w tx's, to cover all ABC, seven, nine and ten networks and their secondary channels, that's a lot of cost if its 1:1
    But with the number of dwellings involved, it may still be cheaper than a VAST system for each dwelling (think small mining town in middle of absolutely nowhere)

Google doesnt have much - if any, information on this stuff that I can find, so any information from those who have undertaken this task with multi channels would be appreciated.

Cheers

Nik

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Now you know why those Councils who had 'Self Help' analog retransmitters in most cases shut them down when changeover incurred.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Now you know why those Councils who had 'Self Help' analog retransmitters in most cases shut them down when changeover incurred.
    From B-MAC to Aurora or Aurora to VAST?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

No, only those who were repeating the terrestrial analog channels. 3 I know of advised their viewers to instal VAST for themselves.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

irritant (06-09-16)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

What we are talking about here is re-transmission of VAST satellite signals, converted to DVB-T terrestrial transmission.

You need receivers/transcoders which receive and convert signals from a particular satellite transponder, or multiple transponders.

In this case a multi-channel VAST CAM/Card, capable of 8 channels each is used.

The number of these CAM/Cards required depends on the number of channels you wish to receive/re-transmit.

A new mux (multiplex) of DVB-T channels is combined and input to a DVB-T transmitter and suitable antenna array for the coverage area.

Additional filtering may be required depending on what other transmission equipment is housed at or near the TX site.

Unless there's several thousand dwellings to be serviced, the cost is prohibitive and much cheaper to have direct satellite reception at each premises.

No licensing hoops to jump through, no ongoing operating and maintenance expenses.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

beerman (30-09-16),EddieA (07-09-16),irritant (07-09-16),Tiny (07-09-16)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

I should also mention that depending on the camp/housing set-up, several houses, or even entire communities can share a single receiving dish, which makes the direct to home satellite option even more cost effective as an SMATV/CATV distribution system.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

beerman (30-09-16),EddieA (07-09-16),irritant (07-09-16),Tiny (07-09-16)