Thread: The lucky country

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Default The lucky country

Trully the luckiest people in the world, you live in gods own, not even the politicians could stuff it up
    Well it has happened for the 25th year in a row. How lucky are we Australians, considering the idiots on both sides of politics who run this country that don't inspire confidence to the average Joe in the street
    Growth has grown at 3.3% for another year.(expected growth 2.7%) Australia is only surpassed by the Netherlands who have experienced growth for 26.5 years straight (not sure but think not as good percentage growth)
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

exited (08-09-16),mandc (08-09-16)

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Yep growth......but with debt......

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    Yep growth......but with debt......
    Easy Peasy to be debt Free , go back to how we were 50 years ago.

NO Credit cards,
    Hire Purchase needed 10~20% deposit,
    less than 10 'Must Have' home appliances.
    To buy a home you either SAVED at least 25% of the cash price or joined a 'Society' .
    To travel you either WALKED or used Public transport.
    No 5 car garages as most homes neither had a car or a garage to put it in.
    To get a personal loan you had to have at least 25% of your income available to 'service' (pay off) the loan.
    NO 100 % finance on House prices that are astronomical.

You want 6 lane highways,
    New airports for the aircraft to take you on overseas holidays,
    High speed trains to whizz you here and there,
    New schools,
    New Hospitals,
    The latest in Military for Self Defence,

Regrettably someone has to pay for all this and no matter how hard I look, I can only see thee and me and 25 Million others to do it.

At a Dollar a head that doesnt go close to meeting the 200 BILLION for the new Submarines.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (08-09-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    Trully the luckiest people in the world, you live in gods own, not even the politicians could stuff it up
    Well it has happened for the 25th year in a row. How lucky are we Australians, considering the idiots on both sides of politics who run this country that don't inspire confidence to the average Joe in the street
    Growth has grown at 3.3% for another year.(expected growth 2.7%) Australia is only surpassed by the Netherlands who have experienced growth for 26.5 years straight (not sure but think not as good percentage growth)
    Yeah, but you know what's irritating? Those pollies will somehow try to say it was their good work and governance that made it possible for such growth to occur.
    Last edited by irritant; 08-09-16 at 06:04 PM.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

Allover, it is nice to post links that confirm your growth figures:

Interesting that agriculture contributes only 2% of the GDP(here was I thinking our Beef exports were a big deal), construction 9.5% and mining 13.5%, while 65% comes from the 'service sector' whatever that means... banks and is the fictive growth of existing real estate prices somehow hidden in that ??
    We are certainly not the lucky country when it comes to decent affordable internet but the associated service companies who are probably earning a decent chunk out of that 65% could be considered the lucky ones.

If having the highest household debt in the world is considered lucky then we certainly are in a lucky country.
    Otherwise lucky is pretty relative.
    I think it is more about you as an individual and your choices if things turn out lucky for you or not, not so much the country.
    My daughter is in Italy right now and it does not look like she want's to come back to the lucky country after working and 'living' in Sydney for 3 years.

I used to adore Sydney in the 1980's and I felt lucky to be riding the ferries and even just walking through the CBD and looking at the interesting (older) buildings.
    Today it is in and straight out of the big smoke for whatever annoying business and back to the Mid North Coast ASAP.
    Watching all the zombies with tiny backpacks walking around, all connected to their white cabled iPhone head sets in the streets of Sydney between 7:00 and 8:00am was actually quite interesting last time I was there.
    I wanted to ask them if they feel lucky but they seemed to be absorbed in some kind of trance, so I was scared to wake them up in case they might bite.
    It almost seemed that the bright white cable going into their ears was some kind of statement because I saw only two who had a black cable(obviously Android users).
    I wonder what will happen to them when they (obviously have to) purchase the new iPhone 7 without earphone jack and the 'mandatory' wireless ear pieces for a laughable $250 extra.
    How will we all know then if they are using an iPhone or not? Will the zombies still be happy about that?

The point of my little diversion was that is seems to me that today's city zombies are basically happy and feel lucky because of their latest gadget and the white cable seemed an important part of that.
    I don't think they give a .... or feel lucky about a moderate rise in the GDP

I personally don't want any politician or anybody else for that matter to brainwash me into thinking I am in the luckiest country in the world.
    True that there are many that are far worse off but there are also many who feel lucky in their own country too. As said it is mostly about what YOU do about it.
    So lets cut the hypocritical crap.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 08-09-16 at 09:55 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 678 Posts

So.. growth can only be a good thing, right?

Just ask .