Thread: Should I Buy Locally or from Overseas?

Thanks

Default Should I Buy Locally or from Overseas?

I am about to buy my first GPS and I am wondering whether to buy from a local retailer or buy directly from China using EBay.

My requirements are a GPS to use in normal suburban and inter-city driving in Australia but I'd also like to load UK maps for a visit there next year.

Whilst I am elderly I worked for 40 years in IT and am very familiar with Window Explorer, editing INI files, MS-DOS commands etc.

My investigations to-date suggest that to buy from a local retailer will cost approx 2 times as much as purchasing from overseas.

As I am relaxed about working with Windows CE what would I get for the extra money if I bought locally?

I am also a bit confused about the different software alternatives. For instance, is the TomTom software often mentioned in this forum (ver 6, ver 7 etc) the same software as installed in the GPS sold as TomTom hardware?

Also, are there any implications (in terms of software suitability) in buying a 4.3 inch against a 3.5 inch?

And where does a 7 inch GPS come into this? I haven't seen any in the shops. Are there any additional implications to consider if I buy a 7 inch?

Sorry if these questions duplicate questions already asked.

Many thanks to all those who provide great feedback on these forums.

Don

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Hello Don

I usually buy most items overseas. The problem is of course what do you do if something goes wrong ? Buying from Ebay sellers can be risky even if they have good feedback as in reality it only means they have provided a working item in a sale.

I have bought a number of items from and found them to be excellent to deal with , but havent had to return anything. I have seen generic GPS units going as cheap as around $80 on Ebay , so at that price you really just have to accept that if something goes wrong you throw it in the bin.

It sounds like you want either a PDA or a PNA. PDA's usually run Windows Mobile 5 or 6 where PNA's usually have a cheap operating systems like Windows CE 4 or 5 and custom software installed over the top. The cheaper systems appear to be good value for money as long as you can access Windows CE directly. Most require some hacking to do this.

Yes , Tomtom software is the same as what is one the stand alone units sold in Australia. There are many other software applications you can also install and use.

Screen sizes mean nothing apart from personal preference.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    It sounds like you want either a PDA or a PNA. PDA's usually run Windows Mobile 5 or 6 where PNA's usually have a cheap operating systems like Windows CE 4 or 5 and custom software installed over the top. The cheaper systems appear to be good value for money as long as you can access Windows CE directly. Most require some hacking to do this.

Screen sizes mean nothing apart from personal preference.
    So does the above basically mean you can buy whatever GPS unit you like, and as long as it runs WinCE 5 (I've read 4.2 doesn't allow ActiveSync etc.) in some way under the hood then you can modify it to run whatever you like?

i.e. screen size, system specs are just that - but as long as it's running WinCE 5, it's all good? The hacks aren't unit-specific?

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaX View Post
    So does the above basically mean you can buy whatever GPS unit you like, and as long as it runs WinCE 5 (I've read 4.2 doesn't allow ActiveSync etc.) in some way under the hood then you can modify it to run whatever you like?

i.e. screen size, system specs are just that - but as long as it's running WinCE 5, it's all good? The hacks aren't unit-specific?
    I dont actually own any of the cheaper ones and mine runs WM6 ( and all previous ones I have had have been WM ). But there have been a few posts in this section from people about particular units where they have managed to get to a Windows CE desktop and install other software , or the unit has allowed the installation of other software.

On the other hand a mate of mine bought a unit from Aldi a while ago and I gave up trying to get anything else to run on it and he returned it

Thanks

i know the unit from
    1: DealExtreme
    2: the wharehouse ( cobolt version )
    3: aldi model

can all be hacked to run other gps software from the sd card .i have dealt with DealExtreme numerous times and great prices and never had a return to date.

i personally have the cobolt one and for $190 find it a great little unit which i run MIO on as its my preferred program

this site here has a wealth of information on the subject and has mention of many different models that have and can be hacked

Administrator
    Thanks

Thanks fandtm666 , looks like the Aldi unit can be done.

Thanks

got a navman pin of ebay to play with and have found it quite good
    it will run most gps software and is portable
    might be the sort of thing you need to take overseas as uk maps can easily be loaded
    check out some pda's as they do gps and more

Thanks

KMart have one for $169 - Logic Gear 3.5 "
    Trust thyself only, and another shall not betray thee.

http://s18.postimage.org/h9xu3rrhx/fb_sevapers.jpg

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
    KMart have one for $169 - Logic Gear 3.5 "
    ask them if you can have a look at the sd card in a reader and see if it has a shell ini file and where it points , this will help in kn owing how easy to hack and if the gps programs run off the sd card itself

Thanks

can confirm the SL350F (the kmart one) works with tomtom and Igo8!!

and works well too

These progs also work well with an mate Jasjam on WM6 and the P310 from Aldi...

Thanks

Don,

I'm a sprightly 46 year old and having had a 3.5" I recently bought a 7" widescreen, see the one with buttons down the side . I find the brain finds it easier to process the info from a larger screen. It's easier to master the art of glancing at the screen and getting the required info with a larger screen for me.

I actually bought mine from here bィut they are not offering any at the moment.

It came with a Route66 map which told me to leave a freeway and re-join for whatever reason I couldn't fathom. The IGO8 map is a lot nicer, more up-to-date and has TTS (talk to speech).

Here you can find the latest IGO8 Aussie map with TTS for 7" widescreen
    Download it to your SD and it's good to go.

Ian

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    ask them if you can have a look at the sd card in a reader and see if it has a shell ini file and where it points , this will help in kn owing how easy to hack and if the gps programs run off the sd card itself
    I just bought the new GPS from ALDI, it's a Tevion 4.3inch model.

Unfortunately it doesn't load from a card, there's nothing to install, you just turn it on. It takes SD cards, just doesn't come with one, nor is the Route66 software read from one.

Is this a very bad sign, as far as it's ability to be hacked?

I don't know how to hack them, i'm hoping someone else bought one and can say whether it's possible or not.

Thanks

Many thanks for all the replies to my question.

For a variety of reasons I am going to delay my purchase till late November - however, as a result of your advice I then intend to purchase from overseas unless a local retailer becomes more competitive.

Best wishes to all

Don

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DonA View Post
    Many thanks for all the replies to my question.

For a variety of reasons I am going to delay my purchase till late November - however, as a result of your advice I then intend to purchase from overseas unless a local retailer becomes more competitive.

Best wishes to all

Don
    You should hope the AUD getting stronger by November, as opposed to weaker...