Thread: Panasonic TH42PZ800A?

Thanks

Default Panasonic TH42PZ800A?

Been doing some research and thinking about finally upgrading to a plasma.

Basically, i'm after something HD, 2k or thereabouts, and that will show upscaled stuff from the dreambox so it looks passable from about 2.5-3metres away.

I am leaning towards the Panasonic 42" TH42PZ800A. Anyone got one, got thoughts, got an alternate recommendation?

p.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

I installed one the other day and it had a great picture
    The only thing I ever recommend to people updating is to pay the extra for extended warranty just in case
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

I think that's the better option. I'm just waiting for the post olympic stock/ sales to arrive and then i think i'll try and snap one up.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

The Panasonic 42" TH42PZ800A would be my choice if I was after a new plasma. They are going for a little over $2000. Bloody Hell...I paid $5000 for a 42" Fujitsu sd plasma with no tuner just a few years back!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You're right Mandc as I believe that is the Full HD 1920 x 1080 which has an excellent picture, I got the model before which is the TH42PZ700A only because that model is made in Japan where now China makes them all.
    The Eagle Flies High!

Thanks

Try Retravision.
    The 46" option now at 42" price till sunday

Thanks

I can't stand the reflections from sunlight and windows with plasma anymore.
    And having the curtains closed to watch tv irks me no end.

I have deserted plasma for LCd for this very reason, in spite of inferior picture.

Banned
    Thanks

Smile in my opinion lcd hd is the go

hi in my opinion lcd hd plus is the go. there not $5000 orso either ,i have a tcl 81cm or 32 inch here i paid $700 for thanks hamguy2 nsw

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z80 View Post
    I can't stand the reflections from sunlight and windows with plasma anymore.
    And having the curtains closed to watch tv irks me no end.
    Current Pana PZ range have added a non-reflective/anti-glare coating and it makes a world of difference.

I had one from the PX range and it annoyed me also,.. but the replacement from the PZ range copes much better.

Thanks

i have one and would reccommend it

Thanks

I have the 700 version and love it..still clearer than 99% of plasma out there

Thanks

I have the 50 800a and I bloody love it.

I could actually live on my couch.
    What happens if I press alt + F4?

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poiuytrewq View Post
    Been doing some research and thinking about finally upgrading to a plasma.

Basically, i'm after something HD, 2k or thereabouts, and that will show upscaled stuff from the dreambox so it looks passable from about 2.5-3metres away.

I am leaning towards the Panasonic 42" TH42PZ800A. Anyone got one, got thoughts, got an alternate recommendation?

p.

If you just want it for the dreambox and terrestrial then why don't you consider the TH42PX8A. Unless you're watching blueray then you may as well save the bucks and go 1080i instead of 1080p.

The TH42PX8A was recently selling at goodguys for $999 during the boxing day sales. I don't see the value in paying a few hundred extra dollars for extended warranty when in 12 months time the price will probably be around the $700 mark for a new one.

Thanks

We bought a 46" 800A several months ago and absolutely love it. The 50" is sometimes found at bargain prices so if your room is big enough that's well worth a look too. But we wanted something with a swivel base which, at that time at least, the 50" didn't have but the 46" did.

Z80's point about glare has some merit. If your room has lots of afternoon sun and you watch a lot of daytime TV then plasma probably isn't the best choice. But I spent a week recently with a top quality X series Bravia LCD and compared to that our Panasonic plasma is eye popping, I'm really pleased with our purchase.

I agree with best4less that extended warranty purchase is very, very wise for a large LCD or Plasma. Many of them die early in life, mainly because of all the internal heat I think.

PS. if you're a sports fan you'll probably want to turn off the video interpolation/enhancement feature, whatever it's called. it can't keep up with fast moving balls etc and has problems with certain high contrast graphics. it works well for most programs and movies though.
    Last edited by gw1; 04-10-09 at 11:34 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gw1 View Post

PS. if you're a sports fan you'll probably want to turn off the video interpolation/enhancement feature, whatever it's called. it can't keep up with fast moving balls etc and has problems with certain high contrast graphics. it works well for most programs and movies though.
    You don't need to turn off any special feature to get rid of this problem, you need to buy a plasma.
    iam a bogan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mate
    You don't need to turn off any special feature to get rid of this problem, you need to buy a plasma.
    Plasmas certainly have much faster response time than LCD, which may be what you're referring to.

But the special feature I meant was Panasonic's 'Intelligent Frame Creation' which applies to Viera plasmas. It's discussed in a review .

Panasonic's latest model, TX-P42G10, has the IFC feature disabled by default. A reviewer suggests turning it on for sport, which was opposite to my experience. The new models resample at 600Hz so it's probably improved. I do leave it turned on, but wanted to mention it because IFC-related artifacts are a common concern for new Panasonic plasma owners. Perhaps that's why Panasonic now leave IFC disabled by default, to reduce support calls.