Thread: Can all cheap Ebay GPS's have their software changed?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Default Can all cheap Ebay GPS's have their software changed?

Hi Guys,

Can you change the software on all these cheap ebay gps units including the 4.3" screens? How does this affect the other features like the fm transmitter, bluetooth etc?

I read the Aldi GPS thread now it looks like a have to get one to have a play!

TIA.......Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Look Here ->
    Thanks

have a read through here as its a wealth of information on hacking gps units,there are alot of ausis there and make mention of many of the units we have access to

Thanks

thanks for the link. This is what I picked out from ebay. Is there a way to find out what model or generic model name is?

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

a quick way to tell if it can be hacked and the program runs from the sd card throw the sd card in a reader and have a look and see if there is a shell.ini file .if so open it with note book and it would have the path tho the exe that runs the app eg; destinator etc .

now if it has the shell ini and has only one line pointing to the exe i bet the exe is actually on the sd card and as such you can put what ever on there edit the ini to point to the new exe and away you go

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    a quick way to tell if it can be hacked and the program runs from the sd card throw the sd card in a reader and have a look and see if there is a shell.ini file .if so open it with note book and it would have the path tho the exe that runs the app eg; destinator etc .

now if it has the shell ini and has only one line pointing to the exe i bet the exe is actually on the sd card and as such you can put what ever on there edit the ini to point to the new exe and away you go
    I haven't actually bought the unit so I can't check and I was reading about what you just mentioned in the aldi thread. So I'm trying to work out which gps I can do this to so I can run what ever I want from the SD card.

In another thread someone bought a and hacked it and this is from the same seller so I'm assuming the 4.3 screen unit is prob the same.

Leroy

Premium Member
    Thanks

I bought one of and have managed to get a few of the proggys working there; can also hack its behaviour and screen look to suit your taste. Battery life is a bit ordinary, but then you generally only use it in a car, so the car charger comes in handy.

Cheers,

Jim.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo123 View Post
    I bought one of and have managed to get a few of the proggys working there; can also hack its behaviour and screen look to suit your taste. Battery life is a bit ordinary, but then you generally only use it in a car, so the car charger comes in handy.

Cheers,

Jim.....
    the battery life looks good in the specs! Hmmm I think I may take a punt and go for a 4.3" screen job like the one above.

Leroy