Thread: Wireless DSL Modem/Router advice

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Default Wireless DSL Modem/Router advice

Hi guys,

Wondering if you could help me out with experience here, I need to purchase a modem as mentioned in the title for a large house. The house currently has a Netgear DG834GV installed but the range is poor and the customer experiences drop outs frequently.

The modem I am currently looking at is a Netgear RANGEMAX DUAL BAND WIRELESS-N ROUTER WNDR3300 but before I make the purchase I would like input from anyone who has used this product or anyone who can suggest something better. Money is not an issue, but cabling is hence the reason I need wireless. I may even be interested in PoE.

Thanks in advance.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Even though I cannot comment on the exact model I can only say I am very happy with Netgear Rangemax AP (108Mb). The coverage comparing to previous DLink and Belkin AP nearly doubled. Very good and strong connection also video streaming seems to be smooth without buffering.

Thanks

im running a dynalink RTA1025W and is a fantastic unit luvs BT and Cs and anything else you throw at it , the wireless has a great range and strength

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by intelliGEORGE View Post
    Hi guys,

Wondering if you could help me out with experience here, I need to purchase a modem as mentioned in the title for a large house. The house currently has a Netgear DG834GV installed but the range is poor and the customer experiences drop outs frequently.

The modem I am currently looking at is a Netgear RANGEMAX DUAL BAND WIRELESS-N ROUTER WNDR3300 but before I make the purchase I would like input from anyone who has used this product or anyone who can suggest something better. Money is not an issue, but cabling is hence the reason I need wireless. I may even be interested in PoE.

Thanks in advance.
    I haven't used the WNDR3300 but have a DG834G, have you tried using all the other channels on the DG834G and client to see if that stops the drop outs? I had a similar problem when I got the DG834G and when I changed the channel I got much better reception.

Thanks

What do you define as large?

I have two stories & just on 40sq and my elcheapo TP-Link WR541G fires up the laptop in every room of the house.
    I even get a fairy good internet connection in my car at the end of the drive.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Captain.Vain View Post
    What do you define as large?

I have two stories & just on 40sq and my elcheapo TP-Link WR541G fires up the laptop in every room of the house.
    I even get a fairy good internet connection in my car at the end of the drive.
    3 storey, steel frame construction, router is on the top floor. PC is on the bottom floor, 12m direct line.

Thanks

3 storey, steel frame construction, router is on the top floor. PC is on the bottom floor, 12m direct line.
    Go for Rangemax, just check people's reviews re. reliability.

Thanks

You could always but the ASUS WL520GC flash them with dd-wrt firmware.
    run one as the server and the rests as client mode turn on virtual ssid and put them all over your house they are only about $39 buck each. Only big daisy chain. Then you will have full signal anywhere.

In the back of a 50 kW AM broadcast transmitter
    Thanks

Get a unit that has a proper SMA connector on it and attach some decent antennas to it.

Part of the problem with the store-bought wireless gear is it's designed for the "average home user" and won't do multi-level particularly well due to the small antenna that comes with it.

There are a number of WiFi suppliers around Oz that offer a good range of high gain antennnas.

I have a wireless link running using two TP-Link TL-WA501G over a distance of approx 2 km and it's never missed a beat. These units will certainly do the range, but they won't do it on the stock antenna.

Thanks

You got in before me Studio1
    These are the I use

In the back of a 50 kW AM broadcast transmitter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Captain.Vain View Post
    You got in before me Studio1
    These are the I use
    Thanks for the link Captain.. might get some gear off them myself.

Thanks

Thanks for all the info guys, I'll try using a high gain antenna before I purchase a new router.

Thanks

Never ever buy a netgear product that has wireless. Do some research. Netgear have the highest number of faulty wireless products. I've never seen a good wireless netgear product (card or router). Steer well clear of them.

My recommendation is a Linksys WAG200G or WAG325N. They are reliable, have great range (especially the WAG325N with draft-N capability) and are built by Cisco. You can't really go wrong. ASUS have some great products too.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Thanks for all the info guys, I'll try using a high gain antenna before I purchase a new router.
    I can make a first hand comment on the DG834GV. In the last 12 months I have returned 3 of them as faulty , the last being 2 weeks ago. Netgear replaced one , Engin replaced 2. Engin have had that many comebacks that they no longer sell them...thats from a phone conversation with an Engin tech. They are a very disappointing product as I had an original DG834 that I gave to a mate that still runs perfect after years of 24/7.

Apart from numerous other faults , range is shithouse. It has been replaced with a Dynalink RTA1025W , which works great but is ugly as a hat full of shit. Basic web browsing is noticably faster on the Dynalink RTA1025W compared to the DG834GV and range is noticeably better ( I can use my internet connection via wireless in my neighbours house on a laptop , I couldnt do that with the DG834GV. )