Thread: TV censorship by blacking out the 'naughty bits'.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default TV censorship by blacking out the 'naughty bits'.

I was watching EP 2 of the new series Westworld last night and there have been scenes of nudity which I thought were done in the context of the show and not excessive but during last nights show towards the end was a scene where the 'Android' who is supposed to be the Brothel Madame was taken to the repair centre due to some glitches occurring.
    'She' appears to be naked with the camera only showing head and shoulders to begin with and later when 'she' is being examined, the camera flashes over the torso but when 'she' awakes and tries to run away, a clear shot of 'her' full body from behind occurs and it was then I am sure a black square appeared over 'Her' buttocks until the angle of the shot changed.
    I first thought it was just a well placed piece of the set but when the angle of 'her' torso changed, it disappeared.

Being an American production I was surprised to see as much nudity as has been show so far unless of course they shoot one version for the US and one for the rest of the world but I find those censorship banners actually draws your attention to the nudity and makes it look sleezy.

If they dont want the 'Naughty bits' shown, then dont shoot the scene that way in the first place.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

eaglem (12-10-16),OSIRUS (11-10-16)

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

I was going to use one of Penn & Teller's many nudity scenes. There's a good one where Teller is trying not to laugh his arse off.
    But this one came up too, so I thought I'd use it instead.

If you haven't seen the the series, it's a crack up.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (13-10-16)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

You'll just have to find another source to get your fix of nudity, Gordon.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

eaglem (12-10-16),Godzilla (11-10-16),irritant (12-10-16),OSIRUS (11-10-16)

Thanks

I watched Adam Looking for Eve on SBS, sometimes they blur the naughty bits,sometimes not..all good for FTA ..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    If they dont want the 'Naughty bits' shown, then dont shoot the scene that way in the first place.
    Now that you've mentioned shooting things here's the obligatory post ...

Yeah, those Americans. They'll show graphic gun violence with people being shot left right and centre (sorry center for the yanks here) but show someone's bare arse?! OMGZZZZZ!!!!! Ring up and complain!!!!!!!!!!

There. Done.

The laugh of it all is Murdoch's Fox. On one channel they'll be bleating away about morality and how these scenes are polluting the minds of the young... and then on another channel they not only screen said scene they were the actual production company that shot it.

Thanks

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpankedHam View Post
    Now that you've mentioned shooting things here's the obligatory post ...

Yeah, those Americans. They'll show graphic gun violence with people being shot left right and centre (sorry center for the yanks here) but show someone's bare arse?! OMGZZZZZ!!!!! Ring up and complain!!!!!!!!!!

There. Done.

The laugh of it all is Murdoch's Fox. On one channel they'll be bleating away about morality and how these scenes are polluting the minds of the young... and then on another channel they not only screen said scene they were the actual production company that shot it.
    Thats it in a nutshell alright but then they run those moronic cartoon shows like that Bevis and Butthead one Trash has posted with all the cheap smut and 'In Your Face' innuendos they can muster up but show a BARE BUTT and its 'Black Banner Time'.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Time was when all the norty bits were blacked out. I agree, that good camera angles and editing should convey the effect without the need to show "those" bits without the need for drawing attention to it. I find it bloody ridiculous when the news shows a scene about. say, an accused rapist, with head blocked out and all it is is the bloke walking down the street. For all that it adds to the story, they'd be better off just showing a picture of grass growing.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

That's the point Gordon. If you've been to USA, you'll know it's even funnier in real life.
    You can show somebody being graphically murdered on TV, but the word "toilet" will cause outrage

Even more amusing is how they will not just pixelate the bits, but they'll often pixelate a brand name.
    Like somebody holding a can of coke and they will pixelate the logo.

I don't worry about it too much

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I was watching EP 2 of the new series Westworld last night and there have been scenes of nudity which I thought were done in the context of the show and not excessive but during last nights show towards the end was a scene where the 'Android' who is supposed to be the Brothel Madame was taken to the repair centre due to some glitches occurring.
    'She' appears to be naked with the camera only showing head and shoulders to begin with and later when 'she' is being examined, the camera flashes over the torso but when 'she' awakes and tries to run away, a clear shot of 'her' full body from behind occurs and it was then I am sure a black square appeared over 'Her' buttocks until the angle of the shot changed.
    I first thought it was just a well placed piece of the set but when the angle of 'her' torso changed, it disappeared.

Being an American production I was surprised to see as much nudity as has been show so far unless of course they shoot one version for the US and one for the rest of the world but I find those censorship banners actually draws your attention to the nudity and makes it look sleezy.

I watched that episode today in 1080p and you are clearly wrong.
    I even paused at that scene. It is a shadow caused by light shining through glass with rectangular bar or hole in a wall or something and the shadow is actually slightly above the buttocks.
    The whole time breasts, buttocks and bear are still clear enough visible in more or less obscured light.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 14-10-16 at 10:14 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (15-10-16)

Premium Member

Thanks

Looks like I need to de steam the glasses nomeat, now I can go back to just perving without the fear of those dastardly blackout banners intruding into my pleasure.....

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (15-10-16)