Thread: The Mummy Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

Thanks

Default The Mummy Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

Just got my R5 DVD Rip today, thought I would review it:

This is what I consider a good come back The Mummy movies.

Though the first 2 were about Imhotep, this is about the Emperor Han (Jet Li). Throughout the first part of the movie, other than the 5 minute introduction, Jet Li is a terracotta CG "Mummy", Pretty much the same as Imhotep.

This story take a change as it follows a more tradition Chinese storyline, which as of late has been doing very well in hollywood (The Forbidden Kingdom).

With this fresh take on the Mummy franchise it lead it a thrill ride of chases, gun fights and tradition "kung fu".

Even if you don't like Brendan Fraser, watch it for Jet Li, and interesting role for him as he is pure "evil".

Rachel Weisz did not come back to play Evelyn, we have Maria Bello, whom I think should of played Evelyn from the begining she adds a real charm to the character, more than Rachel did. But that's just my opinion.
    Luke Ford (All Saints, McLeod's Daughters) plays Alex O'Connell the grown up son of the O'Connell's.

Watch it, if you liked the other Mummy movies, or tradition Chinese stories.

Taken From IMDB
    Why is Rachel Weisz not returning as Evelyn?

The U.K. "ES Magazine" had an interview with Rachel Weisz in the Nov. 16 issue. Her decision not to reprise Evelyn's role also seems to be a part of being a mother and not being able to fit it into her schedule. She's quoted saying "I would have had to go to China for three months and I just can't travel like that any more." But according to sources close to the production of Mummy 3 (Which was reported by Eonline, Cinemablend and iesb.net) Rachel did not like the script and that's the main reason in why she choose not to do the film.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

im hard coding the eng subs atm
    though they wernt for the alliance r5, ill report if they're ok
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PhillTheQuad View Post
    im hard coding the eng subs atm
    though they wernt for the alliance r5, ill report if they're ok
    Yeah that was the one I grabbed, but the subs are already hard coded.
    Not the Workprint, but the DVD Screener.

The.Mummy.Tomb.of.the.Dragon.Emperor.R5.LINE.XviD-ALLiANCE

Thanks

aww serious
    i just converted to add the subs
    i didnt think to look 1st

Thanks

Yeah mate.
    see:

Thanks

atleast ive got sumthing decent to watch tonight

Thanks

Its worth the watch..

Thanks

had really bad reviews..... but I did see a trailer which made it look good.Plus i do like breden Fraser as an actor..

based on advice here will have a perusal

edit: i missed the first couple of mummy movies... hope this does edit: NOT , hinder it
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Thanks

a true word spoken in jest
    you cant judge movie 3 if you never saw 1 or 2 to start with.

Thanks

Hey I liked this... very Raiders of the lost ark-ish... few inconsistencies but enjoyable.... The leading lady is awesome (The wife), where do you find girls like this these days
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z1gg33 View Post
    Hey I liked this... very Raiders of the lost ark-ish... few inconsistencies but enjoyable.... The leading lady is awesome (The wife), where do you find girls like this these days
    Only in the movies my friend, only in the movies.

Thanks

Running afoul of a love triangle, ancient Chinese Emperor Han (Jet Li) is turned to stone by sorceress, Zi Juan (Michelle Yeoh), and his plan for world domination and immortality are thwarted. 2000 years later, bad people mean to lift the curse which would allow Emperor Han to enslave all of mankind with the help of his terracotta militia armed with ancient pre-Christian weaponry. (Good luck with that!) Enter retired adventurers and Indiana Jones wannabes, Rick and Evelyn O'Connell (Brendan Fraser and Maria Bello, respectively). The pair are enduring a loathesomely comfortable English aristocratic lifestyle when approached by the British government to undertake "just one more job" - to courier an ancient Chinese relic with the power of resurrection back to its country of origin. Naturally the artefact falls into the wrong hands and the O'Connells have another mummy to despatch.

Like the second film in this series (and to a lesser extent the first film) Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor is an exercise in what Hollywood does badly and nowhere is this more evident than in its frustrating lack of attention to detail: a sword swipe through a row of candles results in a zigzag cut; the antagonist is turned to stone only to be found a couple of millennia later in a completely different pose to that in which he was frozen. Certainly these are small details in the overall scheme of things but it is exactly this which makes it all the more annoying. It's almost harder to get these tiny details wrong than it is to just get them right and it reflects a Hollywood laziness which typifies the entire production.

Performances are solidly patchy. Maria Bello attempts to prove that a whole character can be embodied solely within an accent and fails. Putting so much effort into getting her English-toff accent right, she leaves little energy for fleshing out her character, lacking completely the earthy charm brought to the role by genuine ol' Blighty actress, Rachel Weisz (who wisely opted out of this production). Brendan Fraser remains a reasonable action hero in search of a better vehicle (perhaps he will fare better in Journey To The Centre Of The Earth 3D but initial reports are not promising). Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh provide a level of statesmanship beyond the worth of this film. And O'Connell Jnr. (Luke Ford) is so uncommitted to this project that he can't even bung on an English accent to maintain canon with the rest of the production (English accents must be so uncool with the young folk).

This is a by-the-numbers action adventure reciting a special-effects-over-substance mantra and while $145M worth of entertainment for 15 bucks can't be all bad, the money could have been better spent.

5 out of 10