Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Four people die in Dreamworld accident

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

Opening Friday for a 'benefit day ' for charity.
    Apparently recently passed a safety audit.

Dreamworld says deadly ride passed safety check - via @abcnews

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (26-10-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

To be honest, the reporting of the share price meant nothing to me...
    Just something the reporter added, not from anyone who was actually at the scene or an announcement from Dreamworld.

However, what did concern me, was the terminology used by leading Paramedic at the scene to the media.
    "They suffered injuries incompatible with life"

WTF is that all about?
    Is that like a "Social Uncoupling" for a Marriage breakdown.

Stuff the share price, how bloody insensitive or should i say, impersonal was that!

What has happened in Australia, can we no longer just speak normally anymore?
    Looks like they can make that 5 deaths at Dreamworld now, the English Language being the 5th fatality.

Obviously the old "Fatal Injuries" or Fatal Injuries causing death" has been put on the bench.

The whole thing is being over reported for the sake of news and ratings, people lose families, parents and children in accidents weekly.
    It is just this time, they have a Brandname to be thrusting on every headline.
    Wonder how many people have been killed on the way to Dreamland or just using the motorway.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 27-10-16 at 10:32 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    However, what did concern me, was the terminology used by leading Paramedic at the scene to the media.
    "They suffered injuries incompatible with life"

WTF is that all about?
    Is that like a "Social Uncoupling" for a Marriage breakdown.
    It's actually an official term that's been used for as long as I can remember and recall its use on a number of occasions.

Legally, only a medical doctor can pronounce death.

Yes, perhaps it may have been more acceptable to most people to have simply stated that four people have died or that paramedics were unable to save them, but consider too that it would have been a very confronting scene for emergency services personnel and anybody else who witnessed it (including those poor kids involved) so I suspect the paramedic's training kicked in automatically and he used the official terminology. He was likely traumatised by the scene as much as anyone.

The terminology is generally used more with internal communications, coroner's reports, etc, rather than media statements.

In simple terms what the phase means is that there is no attempt made to resuscitate a person due to the severity of their injuries being visually obviously so great, that it is impossible for them to still be alive.

A more thorough explanation is:

Such injuries include: decapitation, cranial and cerebral destruction, hemicorporectomy (where body below the waist has separated, transecting the lumbar spine), incineration, or foetal maceration (one of the 12 signs of foetal death).

If you really must know the gory details, consider a conveyor belt has both moving parts and stationary parts and if a human body gets caught between those parts... I'm sure you can figure the rest.

Emergency services personnel do become hardened to such things to a degree, but they are people too and some scenes are extremely distressing to them.

I do agree, the descriptive term used was probably not the best choice for a media statement.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

wal1 (27-10-16)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Thanks for that reasoned explanation, MTV. We were discussing jargon elsewhere only last night, and this would be an example of such. It's not meant to sound cruel, just, an easier way of describing the event. A bit like "He hit the skids". (please: this is an example only and let's not turn this into a topic about jargon) I would hope that lessons are learnt from this incident, and that things will be made safer as a result. I do agree with OB, that these four deaths should not be regarded as any more tragic than the deaths on our roads, or elsewhere, many of which could easily have been avoided.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    Opening Friday for a 'benefit day ' for charity.
    No longer happening... still a crime scene.

Administrator
    Thanks

If you thought the ambo's statement to media of "They suffered injuries incompatible with life" was concerning... how about this?

Pretty sick eh!

A Hobart commercial radio station has apologised after one of its breakfast presenters made a joke in reference to the deaths at the Dreamworld theme park.

The comments came during the 7HO FM breakfast program's secret sound segment.

When the crunching sound was played on air, presenter Anna Dare asked: "It's not getting stuck in a conveyer belt at a theme park is it … too soon?"

Premium Member
    Thanks

Go Tassie
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

I'd been on that ride numerous times with my family over the years. In my opinion the ride is safe providing all safety interlocks , sensors , etc are working ok but in this case something definitly wasnt working as intended.
    a few of my observations -
    -some bodgy repairs may have been conducted just to "keep the show on the road" . who knows what maintenance budget cutbacks the company had forced on engineering staff
    -the ride operators are all young newbies drawn from a pool of casuals , with no technical understanding of how things actually work
    - even if the E Stop button had been pushed , was the location on the incident in clear view of the operator? or via some non working camera system?
    - the rides are so old and made in Europe , who knows if parts / PLC controllers etc are even available? maybe there were changes made to the system over the years ?.

my condolences to the families involved , and brickbats to the CEO - who only offered a tax deductible donation to Red Cross .
    her bonus money should have been spent at the park in the first place to offset maintenance cutbacks.

• The Following User Says Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (28-10-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I was last at that Theme Park 20 years ago i guess, it was dated and needing of much maintenance then, it literally looked like they had given up and just could not compete with Movie World and Wet n Wild.
    I have no idea what has happened since, whether they got bought out and refurbished...
    But my last memory of that park was one of a park that was running on a shoe string budget.

After reading what the CEO earns, let alone her bonus, there is obviously plenty of money going around.

It will be up the Lawyers now to decide if it was too little too late.
    Industry Shake up on the way
    Just like the Back Packers hostels after that one burnt down in Queensland.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Whilst an inquest will hopefully determine what, and who, is to blame for this. The CEO is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't, do anything. Had she NOT donated to the Red Cross then she's be in the poo for taking the bonus. At this stage, everyone is running on "automatic" and the fact that she said she had attempted to reach out to the families when in fact no direct contact had been made makes her sound bad.....until.....it turns out that she spoke to the police liaison asking them if they could make contact, which, owing to the police investigation, sounds quite appropriate. Nothing, at this early stage, is cut and dried.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

enf (28-10-16)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,062 Times in 9,090 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Whilst an inquest will hopefully determine what, and who, is to blame for this. The CEO is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't, do anything. Had she NOT donated to the Red Cross then she's be in the poo for taking the bonus. At this stage, everyone is running on "automatic" and the fact that she said she had attempted to reach out to the families when in fact no direct contact had been made makes her sound bad.....until.....it turns out that she spoke to the police liaison asking them if they could make contact, which, owing to the police investigation, sounds quite appropriate. Nothing, at this early stage, is cut and dried.
    Exactaymondo...like most situations, wait until there is more information...

And lawyers? They won't sort out who is to blame (if anyone), merely who is to pay.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (02-11-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    The AU snow fields have some dubious chair lifts, but nothing like some of the those in NZ on club fields.
    Arthurs seat jumps to mind.
    I do remember a couple of other chairlift accidents over the years but I'm not sure where.

But this web page will keep you reading for an hour or so while it brings back some memories.
    There's also plenty of interesting history in the reading.

Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Administrator
    Thanks

Anna Dare, the female announcer who made the insensitive comment has quit.

The Tasmanian radio host who was suspended after making an inappropriate ‘joke’ about the accident at Dreamworld that killed four adults has resigned.

The presenter was attempting to guess the sound she heard when she said, “It’s not getting stuck in a conveyor belt at a theme park is it? … Too soon?”

Thanks

I'm surprised they didn't sack her that day.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,474 Times in 1,534 Posts

I really cant see what the big deal was, anyone guess today's secret sound?

• The Following User Says Thank You to Rick For This Useful Post:

enf (08-11-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    anyone guess today's secret sound?
    Anna Dares arse hitting the pavement?

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

enf (08-11-16),mtv (08-11-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I really cant see what the big deal was, anyone guess today's secret sound?
    'Basic decency'.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I see the Water Raft ride is now to be permanently closed

Seems like a logical step forward.
    What is more scary, is how many thousands of people rode that ride with the potential of harm or death prior the horrific event taking place.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 09-11-16 at 07:55 AM.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,062 Times in 9,090 Posts

I dunno....thats right, thousands rode the thing and were fine. Seems like a lame reaction to a confluence of events to me.

The whole situation is sad, but without SOME hint of danger why would anyone go on ANY ride.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    I dunno....thats right, thousands rode the thing and were fine. Seems like a lame reaction to a confluence of events to me.

The whole situation is sad, but without SOME hint of danger why would anyone go on ANY ride.
    That is right enf
    If nothing was found to be out of Spec, then what apparent risk was there?
    I say it with a bit of "tongue in cheek", is even in my game, all of a sudden there is a rule change in AS3000.
    It can be looked at 2 ways; 1. It is progression to making a safer installation, 2. You mean i've been doing wrong all this time

Looks like ever since Ardent Leisure has employed the services of an external person to manage the fall out, 2 things have happened.
    Some better public decisions have been made
    It's taken the spotlight away from Ardent Leisure some what.

With Christmas School Holidays only weeks away, they need to start putting forward some sympathetic and digestible concepts.

Looks like they trying hard to achieve that now.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 09-11-16 at 09:14 AM.

• Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast