Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Four people die in Dreamworld accident

Thanks
    Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,531 Posts

Unhappy Four people die in Dreamworld accident

Absolutely devastating news, thoughts to all involved at this tragic time
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Four people have died after becoming trapped when a raft flipped on a family ride at Dreamworld on the Gold Coast.
    The victims, two men and two women, became trapped on a conveyor belt at the theme park after their raft flipped on the Thunder River Rapids ride on Tuesday afternoon.
    Two of the victims were thrown clear of the ride while the other two were stuck in the ride itself.
    Queensland Ambulance senior operating officer Gavin Fuller said all four suffered fatal injuries and couldn't be revived despite several crews attending the scene.

Mr Fuller said the ride suffered a malfunction which caused the accident.
    It's unconfirmed whether the four victims are related with police refusing to reveal their identities until next of kin have been contacted.
    Their ages range from 32 to early 40s, Mr Fuller told reporters.
    Dreamworld chief executive Craig Davidson said the thoughts of the park were with the families and loved ones of those killed.
    'We're all deeply shocked and saddened by this,' Mr Davidson said.
    'We will work closely with police and emergency authorities in this matter.'
    Owners Ardent Leisure announced the park would be closed on Wednesday, while their shares fell 7.8 per cent on news of the tragedy.
    Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate issued a statement expressing the community's shock at the incident.
    'This is a very sad day for our city,' Cr Tate said.
    'Our thoughts are with the families of those affected - and the emergency staff in attendance.'
    Thousands of shocked patrons flooded from the park after it was closed in the aftermath of the accident.
    A coronial investigation into the cause of the accident and the deaths is underway, with workplace health and safety officers and police forensic crash investigators at the scene.
    Mr Fuller said first-response paramedics were deeply affected by the scene and were being counselled.
    The Thunder River Rapids Ride is currently Australia's only river rapids ride and opened in December 1986.
    Dreamworld's Rocky Hollow Log Ride was shut down in April this year when a man fell from the ride and nearly drowned.
    Witness Lia Capes told the ABC she was just about to go on the ride when she saw people running out, crying.
    'I was speaking to one of the guys and he said it was the raft or the boat thing in front of him, the whole thing flipped and everyone was screaming,' Ms Capes said.
    SYDNEY, Oct 25 AAP - MAJOR AMUSEMENT PARK ACCIDENTS IN AUSTRALIA SINCE 1968:
    October 25, 2016 - Four adults die on the Thunder River Rapids ride after becoming trapped on a conveyor belt when their raft flipped at Dreamworld, Queensland.
    September 12, 2014 - Eight-year-old Adelene Leong dies after being thrown from a high-speed ride at the Royal Adelaide Show.
    May 18, 2013 - Five-year-old boy seriously injured after being flung from the Frizbee ride at a school fete in Highfields, Queensland.
    March 11, 2001 - Eight-year-old girl dies and 11 people injured when an inflatable carriage breaks free from a ride at a carnival in Kapunda, South Australia.
    Sept 2, 2000 - Thirty-seven people hurt when the Spin Dragon ride collapses and drops a 4.3 tonne gondola onto queuing riders at the Royal Adelaide Show.
    Feb 22, 1997 - 11-year-old girl dies and two boys injured when a carriage on the Octopus ride breaks free and falls to the ground at the Rylstone Show near Mudgee, NSW.
    June 9, 1979 - Six children and one adult die when Sydney's Luna Park's Ghost Train catches fire. This occurred two months after 13 people were injured on the Big Dipper when a steel runner came loose on a rollercoaster train on April 16.
    October 24 1968 - High-wire stuntsman Adrian Labans, 44, falls to his death during a high wire act at the Royal Hobart Show.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Just reading that the ride had malfunction earlier today and the ride was shut for a period of time before re opening. Makes you wonder if it was a rushed repair just to push the numbers through, I think someones going to be in a lot of trouble and has a lot to answer for

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

I think all of us have "Wondered" when being on an amusement ride
    Whether that be a pop up Summer Circus Ride or the something more Serious like those on the Gold Coast!

The AU snow fields have some dubious chair lifts, but nothing like some of the those in NZ on club fields.

We all hope someone has done or is doing their job when we get on one

It is very sad these people have lost their lives, i wonder how many get injured or perhaps have a disability for life due to a ride gone wrong?

A school friend of mine, with 3 kids, died when a Cherry Picker he owned malfunctioned.
    Much like this story Rick, it failed earlier in the day when his kids were using it to cut trees down.
    So the boys lowered it to the ground and got out (As those were the instructions their father instilled in them)
    When the father arrived back on site, he saw there was only 1 tree to go, and got in it himself, knowing it had been playing up.....

Outcome, father ejected from Cherry picker and landed dead in front of his 3 children.

Makes you wonder what checks and balances are done with these rides?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 25-10-16 at 08:47 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (26-10-16)

Thanks

Default Four people die in Dreamworld accident

Very sad . I've seen a pic showing the aerial view of the scene , ( did not want to but there was a thumbnail on Apple news) very haunting
    Last edited by Au_radio; 25-10-16 at 10:05 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Last time i was at dreamworld i remember thinking that some of the rides looked a bit mechanically dubious.

Remember these machines are being run all year round and when a machine breaks down the repair person is under the pump to get it going again.

Having worked all my life in a position being responsible for machinery to run i can tell you that the pressure to improvise repairs to keep things moving is something owners of company's don't hesitate to put on you.

And to add to that, i was given a ever shrinking budget on parts to make safe repairs with. Many times i was forced to hobble unsafe repairs to keep the ball rolling.

No doubt ill bet it was one of those situations.......i dont care, just fix it, its costing us money being off.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

irritant (26-10-16),VroomVroom (28-10-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,927 Times in 1,283 Posts

It's really bad incident.

While playing taxi for my friends 11 year old she saw it on the news and was visibly upset as she had been on that ride earlier this year.

She also said that on one of the rides the safety restraint had issues latching as it took several tries to get it locked and she had to call the attended back to redo it..

I think it's time for better safety checks.
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SS Dave For This Useful Post:

Rick (26-10-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Geez, its just gets worse..... Those poor kids and their Grandmother!

THE mother of two of the victims of the horrific Dreamworld accident says her world has been destroyed as her “whole family has been wiped out.”
    The victims have been named as Kate Goodchild, 32, her brother Luke Dorsett, his partner Roozi Araghi and a 42-year-old woman who remains unknown.
    Kate and Luke’s mother Kim Dorsett, told The Courier Mail she is “absolutely devastated” following the accident that saw four people killed and left her grandchildren without their mother.
    “We are just devastated, absolutely devastated,” she said.
    “I have three children and have lost two of them today – my whole family has been wiped out.
    “I have two granddaughters – an eight-month-old and a 12-year-old – and it truly breaks my heart to know that my eight-month-old is never going to get to know her mum.”

Witnesses have told how they tried to comfort a young girl who was left screaming as disaster shattered the funpark atmosphere.
    “She just kept screaming ‘Where’s Mummy? Where’s Mummy?” witness Claire Wooley said.
    “We tried to comfort her, but she was so emotional it was hard.”
    “We were in tears ourselves and she was just hysterical.”
    Last edited by ol' boy; 26-10-16 at 02:19 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

they had issues a few months back with some one getting injured aswell

dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

Thanks

The deaths had an immediate financial impact on the park's owners Ardent Leisure, as it shares fell 7.8 per cent on news of the tragedy.
    Unfarkinbelievable all their worried about is the financial impact, And this is the reason why 4 people died, they rushed to fix this thing, and it failed, from reports it actually broke down twice in the same day.Goodbye Dreamworld your nightmare has just begun.
    Last edited by Rick; 26-10-16 at 10:47 AM.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I would suggest, Rick, that that line is a reporter's attempt at sensationalism, at this stage, I'd be thinking that Ardent Leisure would not be making such claims. They'd be more about damage control, and ensuring that they are not culpable. Of course, over the next few weeks, hell yeah! You and I both know that the share market is volatile and that any adverse news can, and does, cause the share price of affected parties to take a hit.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

mandc (26-10-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Unfarkinbelievable all their worried about is the financial impact,
    I didn't read it like that at all.
    Where did it say they are worried about a share price drop?

I think what the reporter has rightly expressed, is the lack of confidence in the Parent Company, with shareholders selling out fast!
    Remember, only 1 Miner died at Beaconsfield and 2 got stuck, it closed that business for good.

I'd say there is an element of uncertainty regarding the park.
    Shareholders may know more than you think regarding pending maintenance works, law suites, or the current financial state of the business.

It ain't no Movie World, its a second tier shit hole.
    And has been for a long time now.

I'd say this will get the Microscope on them hard now and some people in the know (Shareholders) have just bailed out fast before it implodes.

It will prompt for more serious safety checks at the other parks now too.

This will not stop here.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 26-10-16 at 11:26 AM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I dont think theres a ride in the World that doesnt have an element of risk and it only takes one simple flaw for it to go from daring to Dangerous.
    By Rides I include everything available at home or away as in a theme park.
    All we can do is learn from the situation and do everything possible to eliminate it occurring again and never forgetting that the learning curve to making it safer was brought about by the loss of peoples lives.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

This tragedy has the potential to affect so many people who would be traumatised by witnessing the incident and the horrific nature of the injuries sustained, none more so than the young girls who survived.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Yep, the Lawyers will be lining up
    Which is of no help to those families who have lost loved ones

Will be a lot of deals done super fast to try and keep this out of the media
    If a lawyer is involved, he will seek hush money from Dreamworld for his Client, so they don't take interviews from the media.
    And with what is at stake and the amount of decreased sales it would mean, the sum would be very substantial.

Once again, of no help to loved ones, but i'm sure its been offered to minimise the bad PR.

Then they can deal with WorkSafe and all the others in private they will be hoping.

I was impressed with the Dreamworld CEO when he spoke to the media
    He seemed to be saying all the right things.
    (Which may have been an obvious or tactical move, but he seemed genuine to me)
    Looks like he is offering all the support he can to those affected.

Its just a tragic situation, no one wants.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 26-10-16 at 02:28 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (26-10-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    I didn't read it like that at all.
    Where did it say they are worried about a share price drop?
    I'm glad we're not the same, and dont read the same as you! My point is 4 people died tragically, WTF has falling shares got to do with 4 people dying? NOT a fkn thing

Premium Member
    Thanks

Cause and Effect mate

Same as Malaysian Airlines...
    The 2 things are related, but if you think it detracts any from the genuine grief, thats your call.

So whom do you blame here? The Reporter or the Company?
    Maybe you would be happier if their share price went up?
    Im sure it was not Dreamworld that publicly went out and published its share price.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 26-10-16 at 07:14 PM.

Thanks

Maybe you would be happier if their share price went up?
    What utter crap! Its poor reporting, its pretty fkn pathetic bringing up $$ and numbers in light of what just happened, but thats the sad thing about this world an people, its all about the figures and whats in it for them, just no compassion anymore anywhere in this world

Premium Member
    Thanks

So, whom do you blame?

Thanks

So, whom do you blame?
    You really like to push buttons dont you? ok so its the blame game eh, the time will come once the investigation has been done to establish what and how and who is responsible, until then I reserve my thoughts!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

OK fellas, settle... yes, it's an emotional subject but let's not turn it into personal attacks please.

I think it's pretty tacky reporting as well... It sounds to me like it's a journalistic observation in relation to share prices and not a statement from the park operators.

Apart from the deaths and the ongoing trauma to those families and friends, is the possibility this incident may have been avoidable, if the reports of poor maintenance and ignored safety issues are correct.

There will also be hundreds of workers at the park that will likely become unemployed as a result of the park's closure and the knock-on effect that will have on those families and the community.

I expect it will be quite some time before Dreamworld will re-open, if it does re-open that is.

I think it's quite possible it will not open again under the current ownership/management and if if does eventually open again, it will likely be totally re-vamped.

Only time will tell.

Nothing however will bring back those lives lost in this tragic incident. I call it an incident as an accident is something that is totally unavoidable and I'm not sure that's the case at this point in time.

If negligence is in fact involved, one hopes justice will prevail.

My heart goes out to those poor children who were involved.

• Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast