Thread: ABC HD before end of year

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 886 Posts

Default ABC HD before end of year

on dtvforum pc9 posted an interesting email he received from the abc

Thank you for your email.

There are a number of technical, resourcing and audience implications to consider, however the ABC is currently working through its HD plans and hopes to be able to transition its primary channel to high definition Australia wide, before the end of the year.

Unfortunately I don't have more precise information regarding this, however we may have more information in the coming weeks.

Please don’t hesitate to contact the ABC Reception Advice Line, if you have any questions, Mon – Fri on 1300 139 994

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pheggie For This Useful Post:

hos here (31-10-16),ol' boy (30-10-16),OSIRUS (31-10-16)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I like the line that says 'There are a number of technical, resourcing and audience implications to consider' which could be read to mean, "Technical", we dont know which button to Push, "Resourcing" could mean we cant find the User Manual on 'How to Do It' and I have no idea what they mean by 'Audience implications' converting a HD signal to an SD one when its primarily a News Channel populated by a multitude of Talking Heads.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Seeing will be believing.

While on Believing, its hard to believe the taxpayer gets raped for a billion dollars a year to fund the ABC and dont even get HD for their trouble.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I like the line that says 'There are a number of technical, resourcing and audience implications to consider' which could be read to mean, "Technical", we dont know which button to Push, "Resourcing" could mean we cant find the User Manual on 'How to Do It' and I have no idea what they mean by 'Audience implications' converting a HD signal to an SD one when its primarily a News Channel populated by a multitude of Talking Heads.
    Technical issues could be as far reaching as ensuring that, or at least doing everything they can to mitigate the risk of, the introduction of a H.264 program into the mux doesn't cause crappy sets to crash when they are tuned to the ABC network. When 7 started its original H.264 broadcast of TV4ME it caused quite a few problems for people certain model sets with particular firmware versions.

They can always buy a cheap STB to avoid the problem, but that won't stop the ABC's switchboard from lighting up with complaints.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    and......................providing a wonderfully balanced, fair and objective analysis of politics and current affairs.

Premium Member

Thanks

Rarely watching ABC NEWS in HD I am not sure how pc9 means his comment but I meant 'Technically' running a News program consisting mainly of those reporting the News, commentating on the News, showing video taken in less than ideal quality situations is a bit of overkill I believe.
    As the ABC HD channels are NOT using the Mpeg4 format that caused all the problems with SEVEN and NINE, I dont understand what the problem is changing the Programs about?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

It's not a simple case of changing programs about. ABC will continue to be available in MPEG2 SD, in a similar fashion to how the prime channels on 7. 9 and 10 remain available in MPEG2 SD. This means ABC HD will have to be MPEG4 AVC (h.264) if picture quality levels are to be kept anywhere near where they are now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpankedHam View Post
    It's not a simple case of changing programs about. ABC will continue to be available in MPEG2 SD, in a similar fashion to how the prime channels on 7. 9 and 10 remain available in MPEG2 SD. This means ABC HD will have to be MPEG4 AVC (h.264) if picture quality levels are to be kept anywhere near where they are now.

Todays news.

Premium Member

Thanks

All this means to me is that I will have to use the STB for the main ABC channel on the 3 TV's I have that are not compatible.
    once it becomes an MPEG4 channel.
    Would somoene please tell the ABC spokesman that you can do all the 'adjustments' to a TV you like but if the tuner isnt made to receive the format (MPEG4) then it isnt going to work.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

ABC won't become an MPEG-4 service. It will be launching a separate MPEG-4 channel which will simulcast programs on the existing MPEG-2 channel. You won't need a set-top box on the 3 TV's you have as the existing ABC you watch right now is not going anywhere. Nothing changes for you. Simple.

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

Premium Member

Thanks

I need the STB's for the MPEG4 channels on SEVEN and NINE so using it for the ABC is no big deal but this 'doubling up' seems to me to be a total waste of bandspace as I thought going Digital was to use less and provide more which this certainly doesnt.

Banned

Thanks

ABC HD with 100 per cent certainty will be MPEG-4 confirmed by the ABC officially

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Can also confirm a 6th December launch date and it will indeed be on VAST.

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smacca For This Useful Post:

pheggie (17-11-16),Tiny (06-12-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smacca View Post
    Can also confirm a 6th December launch date and it will indeed be on VAST.
    thanks Smacca, news about ABC HD on VAST is certainly good news, now if only Imparja and Southern Cross would follow suit - I think not.

Banned

Thanks

ABC HD Official Logo as used by Fetch TV

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,512 Times in 1,803 Posts

Six new ABCHD channels on D1 now.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hazman For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (08-12-16),pheggie (06-12-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hazman View Post
    Six new ABCHD channels on D1 now.
    From what I saw last night on VAST and terrestrial FTA - waste of bandwidth. Looks like upscaled standard def going out on the HD channels. Would be interested to know what the D1 quality is like.