Thread: Android - Goggle Play Services not compatable with my device

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default Android - Goggle Play Services not compatable with my device

I have seen this popping up lately when using my older Android devices
    The M8 Android Box for example.

I sued to think it was just a Google Account sync issue or sign in issue, but it seems to be more than that.
    What used to work fine on my M8 Android Box, now gives me grief, EG: YouTube app i get the "Not Supported" message.

I've tried some methods mentioned here:

All apart from the last Method (Factory Reset), as i'm not prepared to load everything back on just yet.

Anyone else been stuck with this problem?
    Found a way around it?

Thanks
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Maybe updating the firmware might help, check the link below.

Note I don't own a M8 so can't confirm if this works but something to think about if you want to go down this track.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Yeah, trying to get around this without a full rebuild.
    Too much hassle.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

william10 (02-11-16)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Found a way around it?

Thanks
    Never had a Google account, never needed one.

Find the apps you want here :
    Right click on the 'Install' button and click 'Copy Page Link'

Goto this site :
    and paste in the search box, enter and click "Download APK" on the next page.

Copy the .apk file to your Android SD card. I create a folder called "setup files" for all my downloads.

Install the .apk files from a filemanager on your Android.

Allow third party installation (other sources) in your >settings >security if you have not done before.

My collection of trialed and tested setup files is shared with other Android devices and all the software is very quickly installed when I change something on my Android gadgets.
    No messing aroud with accounts and downloading everything over and over again.

It might be a good idea to disable Google Play Services and Play store in the >Settings >Application Manager to avoid Google disabling your apps.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 02-11-16 at 07:03 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member
    Thanks

I tried disabling it, but that did not really help....
    Strange, as the all used to work fine for 2 years or more.

On your side loading method, you can actually download straight from the Play Store without an account and onto a Mac or Windows machine
    Or are you saying, the Apps found on the third party site have been modified to remove any Google Dependencies?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 02-11-16 at 07:47 PM.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

AFAIK apkpure just downloads your selected app from the google store (technically like they have an account) and presents you the .apk file to download.
    I hardly believe they would have time to actually modify the app in the 30 seconds or so it needs, depends on the size of course and I think they would need also the source code to modify it (and recompile it) anyhow. I don't know if there is a certificate that could be quickly modified though.

Apkpure have a new system for asset files apkx that requires an install on your device or PC but I have not looked into that yet.
    This would bypass the need to download the additional files some apps need after they have been installed which would break when the app wants to get them from Google Play.
    It seems some apps have them on their own servers though, at least the ones I have used in the past. Therefore I haven't used their apkx installer yet and I am also not so hot on installing this additional software on my PC.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member
    Thanks

Well, in any case, the YouTube app does need a user account, in my case its a gmail account, so you can sync your watch history and subscriptions.

So perhaps it requires Goggle Play Services for this function to work?

Thanks

I have the youtube app working on all my devices and my wife's and kid's too and no one here has a Google account.
    In my case EVERYTHING with Google is disabled in the application manager.

Did you try to get it through apkpure?

Thanks

Youtube seems to update every two weeks and 'update' often means not being able to do what you always did (and liked) before, which is why I avoid app updates (unless I am after a specific feature) and not having a Google account makes that possible to stay with the version that always worked. As said I don't have an account so I don't know if Google intensive apps like Youtube are automatically updated.

This is a history of direct downloads but it only goes back to May :

Note since October 5 :

The redesigned YouTube app makes it easier to find what you love. Now your recommended videos, favorite channels, and subscriptions are all just a few taps away. You can also create fun videos with new in-app editing tools.
    This might be exactly your problem as that feature would require some kind of account to work. Nasty is that it seems to be enforced.
    So try a version from that website well before that date.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 02-11-16 at 09:54 PM.

Thanks

My phone says Chrome is outdated. "Do you want to update?" Click yes only to find I have to have a bloody Google account. Well f you.

I would go nomeat's route except I have no idea what Chrome to download - it still works at this stage so until it stops ...

Google, in my view, is now becoming a latter day Micro$oft only far more insidious.
    If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

Premium Member
    Thanks

Oh yeah.... Google is worse the AU Government.
    They just don't your money yet... but give it time.

Thanks

They don't need your money.
    By using Google Chrome for example you are giving them something more valuable than your money and that is your data/behaviour/profile. This asset is what makes Google so powerful and wealthy.
    I can't understand why Chrome is the most popular browser. IMO it is the worst.
    For me Opera and Qupzilla are the best by far. Qupzilla (PC) is lightning fast because from default it elimiates every ad and banner. Lovely clean web pages. Google must hate it.
    Opera on Android is so speedy because they compress the data and the user friendly features are unmatched.

I don't use Google's services and don't support it overpowering the whole internet with spam and junk and controlling my behaviour.
    I support Wikipedia with the occasional small donation.

So I use Android ...big deal. It is a unixlike OS and Google stole it. They can put thier updates/upgrades where the sun doesn't shine. The older versions were better and gave me more power and control. If they now want to enforce accounts and stop me from disabeling their services then I will just move on to a Ubuntu phone or something when my old Samsung Note breaks beyond repair or goes up in flames.
    /rant off