Thread: Flat top dish - any good?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Default Flat top dish - any good?

Anybody had experience with these flat-top Ku dishes?

The specs look OK (gain 39.5dB).........and the reduced size is appealing for caravan and camping use.

Just wondering if there are any downsides.

TIA.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Showed a neighbour how to set one up on a portable VAST setup before he headed north for winter. Spoke to him when he got back, said it worked all the places he went on the big island.

I used one of for many years for VAST when I travelled around & never had issues.
    Never stand under a shadow that's getting bigger

• The Following User Says Thank You to Antennaman For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (06-11-16)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

I've installed several of those dishes TD.

They work fine and very well built, as are all Azure Shine dishes.

There are no downsides/negatives that I'm aware of.

Nice seller to deal with BTW... had several dealing with them over the years.

The big advantage with them is the lower edge fits mounts on roofs with a steep pitch much better than a 'standard' shape offset dish.

The Fracarro dish in Antennaman's post is also a good performer, but comparably quite expensive.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (06-11-16)

Thanks

Thanks for the responses.

Bought a box of four cheap 90cm dishes from a crowd in Melbourne some time back…been using them for D2, IS19, and C1.

Other day I fired up an old Strong 80cm (the model with the folding arm) on the caravan and after a bit of testing discovered that the 80cm Strong was performing every bit as good as the cheap 90cm jobs.

So, whilst it’s true that size matters, it‘s apparent that there’s more at play than just “bigger is better”.

Have always fancied the Azure Shine….drooled for years over their 1.2m offset, but could never justify it.

But since I’ll be in Perth early next year and within striking distance of Access Antennas, thought I might give one of these flat-tops a whirl.

If it works out, the cheap 90’s might end up as bird baths.

MTV…… used to deal with John at Satplus when he was at Caboolture.
    He was the most helpful bloke I’ve had the good fortune to deal with…helped me a great deal during my satellite formative years (still a work in progress )
    Every time I bought something from him I always came away with a handful of free useful little goodies.
    Have bought a few things from Satplus, Victoria since moving down here, and they have always been helpful and good to deal with.
    It’s a pity that more Australian businesses don’t realise that this is what keeps customers coming back.
    Last edited by Thala Dan; 06-11-16 at 08:35 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

mtv (06-11-16)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thala Dan View Post
    MTV…… used to deal with John at Satplus when he was at Caboolture.
    He was the most helpful bloke I’ve had the good fortune to deal with…helped me a great deal during my satellite formative years (still a work in progress )
    Every time I bought something from him I always came away with a handful of free useful little goodies.
    Have bought a few things from Satplus, Victoria since moving down here, and they have always been helpful and good to deal with.
    It’s a pity that more Australian businesses don’t realise that this is what keeps customers coming back.
    You would have dealt with Phillip at their Edithvale store in Vic.

Have to agree, they go the extra distance to help their customers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thala Dan View Post
    But since I’ll be in Perth early next year and within striking distance of Access Antennas
    An installer associate & I use Access to purchase specific items as they are cheaper, even when freight to Tasmania is factored in, on some bulk items we use (but not satellite dishes.) Based on my dealings with them, they have a good custmer service attitude, & in a couple of cases have gone the extra mile for me.

The neighbor's dish I set up also came from them.
    Never stand under a shadow that's getting bigger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Antennaman View Post
    An installer associate & I use Access to purchase specific items as they are cheaper, even when freight to Tasmania is factored in, on some bulk items we use (but not satellite dishes.) Based on my dealings with them, they have a good custmer service attitude, & in a couple of cases have gone the extra mile for me.

The neighbor's dish I set up also came from them.
    Have bought quite a bit of stuff from them over the last 3 years or so.........generally arrives by mail from W.A. to N.E. Vic in under a week.

Price-wise, they seem to have the game sewn up.

Whilst in Perth a few years back, I helped a fellow caravanner buy a VAST system from them......the staff were extremely helpful.

Had occasion to send a moderately expensive bit of kit back to them when its performance was less than impressive.........refund forthcoming no problems.

I know there're a few on this forum who had what they consider to be a bad experience with them about six years ago, but I have never found them wanting.

Every time I go to Perth to see family, they are the lolly shop I just have to visit

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Antennaman View Post
    I used one of for many years for VAST when I travelled around & never had issues.
    I've always been intrigued by those. Seen a couple of big ones (approx. 2 m) atop buildings in city centres. What is the reason behind the shape?

If I look at gain figures, etc., looks like they get the same as the equivalent normal dish, so possibly just for material saving?
    Last edited by irritant; 07-11-16 at 10:52 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianR View Post
    I've always been intrigued by those. Seen a couple of big ones (approx. 2 m) atop buildings in city centres. What is the reason behind the shape?

Different again.

The large commercial variant is typically used for multi LNB/multi satellite use.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

irritant (08-11-16)