Thread: My DVD burner is eating discs

Thanks

Default My DVD burner is eating discs

Trying to burn a 6GB file to DL DVD but it stop 3/4 of the way through with an error.
    So what's all this crap mean ?

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

I have also occasionally had a similar error, although I burn dual layer disks very infrequently.

In a similar situation, I would simply start again with a fresh DVD (although the thread title suggests it is not an isolated problem?).

Errors in burning Cd's and DVD's can be caused by a few different factors, e.g. the burner was bumped during burning, lens became dirty, bad media (scratched, dirty etc), power supply glitch and the list goes on.

Also, I always ensure that there are no other tasks running on the computer when attempting to burn such media.

Nero has been my software of choice for the last twenty or so years.

Edit:

You might find a precise explanation for the error cited by going to the StarBurn website (starburnsoftware.com/products/starburn-sdk/overview) and submitting a log file of the session involved.
    Last edited by tristen; 06-01-17 at 05:52 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,043 Times in 6,759 Posts

This may be completely unrelated to your problem, but often it's another program running, either open, or in the background that causes a little glitch, so it's best to have no other programs running whilst burning, regardless of the processor and RAM.

Another thing I learnt many years ago, was that even Windows 'sounds' such as startup, email notifications, etc, can cause glitches, as often the sampled sounds are a very low sample/bitrate which causes the processor to slow down or reconfigure somehow ever so briefly to play them.

I had issues like what you are experiencing, but just with single layer CD burning and turning off Windows sounds (and not running other programs during burning) solved it.

Worth a try.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,858 Times in 9,044 Posts

What mtv said...

Also it's often the burn speed that causes errors. Try setting the speed as low as you can. Your drive will have a minimum, but if you don't know what it is, then set the software as low as you can as the burner will use whatever speed IT is lowest at.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Although this is different, I ran into a problem trying to record a program from a Hard drive.
    I had copied a Video Tape with a program longer than an hour but I didnt set the recorded time correctly on the HDD so when I went to copy it to a DVD, it wont accept the program and it wont allow me to re adjust the time.
    Not understanding how a DL disk works, I wonder if it does one layer at a time and its when it reaches the point where it goes from one layer to the other is where the failure occurs?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,043 Times in 6,759 Posts

+1 for Nero

Also, check with the burner manufacturer website for driver updates.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Also try a different brand of DL disc, I get the occasional bad one. If it's still a regular thing I'd be replacing the drive itself.

Thanks

perhaps it needs a new disc. try closing other app that is causing the issue. if possible, avoid using the file and other apps that might affect the transfer of data

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,053 Times in 3,334 Posts

Could be any number of issues as discussed above. Is it always the same brand of disk that fails. Some drives do not play well with some brands of Disk, don't ask my why.....don't know.......(cue: theme from HAIR).
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

Check if there is an updated firmware for your dvd burner. A new firmware sometimes supports more brands of blank dvd's and other fixes.

Thanks

Although i don't burn many discs these days i also use to run into that problem on Asus & Pioneer burners.My workaround at the time was to Burn to rewritable BD or DVD Discs and then copy to a normal Disc.I think it must have something to do with write speed as rewritable Discs burn much slower.