Thread: Something to think about

Thanks

Default Something to think about

I thought this was of interest,interested in what others think. On another thing when I'm by myself I get one opinion,enter the wife and we have two opinions,and enter own high school niece (the next Julie Gillard), we have many more multiple opinions..just like here on the forum.

Look Here ->
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,104 Times in 9,100 Posts

I detest Trump....he's a shallow thug. He's not even really in charge. Take a gander at strategist Steve Bannon if you want to get really worried. He's been given unprecedented power in both the White House and the Pentagon. I hope the republicans are supping from a long spoon.

Having said that the US has Trump largely because the majority didn't vote. We have enough whiners here when they lose, but to not vote and whine just makes the protesters look dumber than the average septic looks already IMO.

In Australia the best we can do is vote for the independents and while some occasionally have really good ideas they are, for the most part, economically clueless. The major parties are just plain clueless period.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

allover (04-02-17),eaglem (04-02-17),exited (03-02-17),mtv (03-02-17)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

We would have to wait and see what happens if a real 'Knight in shining Armour' would emerge out of nowhere!
    I say that is very unlikely.
    The conservative bit about Australians in that article is fully the way I see it too.
    I am not aware of any country where the people are more conservative.
    I think that is why the current politicians here don't have to do anything.
    They just have to say that no more refugees will come in and all those nasty welfare recipients will be tracked down and the majority are happy with that effort and it can all stay 'business as usual'.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Something ELSE to ponder..................

The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (04-02-17)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Because we dont directly vote for the Government Leader as the US does (Electoral College selection) its more difficult for someone like Trump to be elected here but its not impossible.
    Trump won on two fronts, one was being selected to be President and the other is his party is in power so there is no current opposition for any of his proposals, no matter how far out they are.
    This may change in a year or so as the next US Presidential elections draw near and if Trump still has both the Public support as well as his Party.
    This is something Malcolm Turnbull tried to achieve when he called for the 'Double Dissolution' but it didnt quite work out that way as there is no way anyone can guarantee how people will vote come election time despite what any polls or the Voters themselves may say before voting.

Obama ran against a 'hostile' Parliament for the whole eight years of his presidency, never more so than during the last 12 to 18 months before the elections as everything possible was done to make him look ineffectual and promote the Republicans choice no matter who it was.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    as everything possible was done to make him look ineffectual
    They didnt have to do much. He accomplished almost nothing in 8 years and you have to go back a long way to find a worse President.

Its interesting Trump gets bagged for being a business man. Obama was a "community organizer'. I know which type of person I would rather have running a country.

enf is correct though, from a personal or "personality" point of view its pretty hard to like Trump. But people are stupid, they would rather vote someone in that they personally like, rather than someone that will actually do the job well. Obama being a classic example.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    They didnt have to do much. He accomplished almost nothing in 8 years and you have to go back a long way to find a worse President.

Its interesting Trump gets bagged for being a business man. Obama was a "community organizer'. I know which type of person I would rather have running a country.

enf is correct though, from a personal or "personality" point of view its pretty hard to like Trump. But people are stupid, they would rather vote someone in that they personally like, rather than someone that will actually do the job well. Obama being a classic example.
    Obama was in exactly the same boat as Abbott/Turnbull....a hostile republican congress that knocked everything back, so it was no surprise that he achieved very little. Something I fear we are stuck with for the foreseeable future as far as the senate goes.

What is special about Trumps business skills? The fact that he was born wealthy? Or that he cheated his employees and contractors by going bankrupt on at least 3 occasions so he could avoid responsibility for poor business decisions and retain his wealth? I know who I would rather be in charge of the country....someone who is level headed and has little or no vested interests (other than political which they all have), or a narcissistic, conflicted rude clown who, at the behest of advisors like Steve Bannon, voids previous American commitments, and initiates bans on muslim countries EXCEPT Saudi Arabia (the biggest supporter of terrorism in the world) where he has extensive business interests.

Anyway, He's there and we have to deal with him. I still maintain that the protesters who didn't vote deserve what they get. Tinys pie chart in the joke thread says it all...

....it's just a shame that we have to go along on the ride IMO.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

mtv (05-02-17),Uncle Fester (06-02-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

I dont see why everyone hates Trump so much.

Hes a mover and shaker and seems to be doing a good job at it so far.

Lets hope he does not move and shake too much though.....there is a limit to how far you can push boundaries, last thing we want is to see the start of a world war....

Banned
    Thanks

I'm not the only one who is thinking that both of these two president candidates are not good. It was upto the voter to choose from worse and worst.
    One of them was the most obscenely establish politician where the other one was not a politician at all.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 777 Posts

The phrase here in the US is . . . "It was up to the voter to choose from the lesser of two evils!"

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmangle View Post
    The phrase here in the US is . . . "It was up to the voter to choose from the lesser of two evils!"
    And therein lies part of the problem...there needs to be a "we reject both choices" option of some kind....

We could sure use one here...the bullsh*t choices we have are a disgrace...

The point to me is the US has what? 300 million citizens? And thats the best that the system can come up with? I have no problem with a businessman getting a chance to run things, but a REAL one would be nice. One with some class and intelligence who doesn't need the rabid lot that Trump has selected to his cabinet. I have rarely in my life seen anyone in power who scares me more than Steve Bannon....

We have 30 odd million, and our politicians are a dumb bunch too. And we are just as dumb because we argue over two interchangeable glove puppets. The ONLY thing that ever changes is the identity of dumb and the identity of dumber.....

Thanks

I have always felt we should have an extra option on every ballot paper - None of the above.
    If None of the above gets more than it's share of votes (eg >25% of the vote if 3 candidates + None of the above) then the seat should be recalled & none of the original candidates be allowed to re contest.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madtech For This Useful Post:

enf (06-02-17),lsemmens (07-02-17)