Thread: no name Chinese HU not reading SD card

Thanks

Default no name Chinese HU not reading SD card

I have a no name Chinese 7” head unit, well its got a name on the front not sure it it means anything, Erisin ES842D

I’ve had it for a number of years now with no issues, well apart from the occasional freeze of the GPS sat nav, but a switch off and on get’s it going again

as my car had been put away for the winter, the batter has been on a trickle charge to keep it healthy and its been doing fine, then last week a combination of two things (somehow sidelights were on and the charger wasn’t connected properly) the battery went flat, and following this the battery wouldn’t hold its charge, so replaced the battery, and her is my issue

the head unit works just fine with the exception of being able to read my SD card with my mp3 music on it,

the head unit works just fine reading the GPS navigation app off the other SD card, plays the radio both FM/AM, shows the reversion camera, shows DVB-T TV just fine, Bluetooth connects with my mobile phone and can also stream music to the head unit by bluetooth, I can connect my iPad to the unit and it will play music of the iPad

The only thing it will not do is read my SD card, when I select it to play from the SD card the screen goes grey, if I take out the SD card then when I select play from the SD card the unit informs me to insert a SD card as one is not inserted, and also if I connect a USB stick with MP3’s or films on it the screen goes grey

so everything on it works with the exception of playing whats on the SD card, I’ve reformatted two cards and tried them and same thing, the only think I haven’t done yet is go out and buy a new card and try that, I remember two years back the unit wouldn’t read the GPS navigation software as a last resort I bought a new card and it worked just fine, could this be the same issue now?

any help would be most welcome

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

What is the format on the cards that won't read? Try formatting to FAT32 and see if they read.

Thanks

the original SD card that was in the unit was FAT32formatted and has been used in the head unit for around 2 years and every now and then I've added or deleted some MP3 files and everything was OK till that issue with the car battery,

in all I've tried a further 4 SD cards (8 gig or less in size as 8 is the max it will recognize) yes all formatted to FAT32 one was formatted on a PC running XP and three were formatted using SDFormatter. the only thing I can think of now is to buy a new SD card and see if that helps,

its just funny everything on the head unit works but reading the SD card, as I mentioned, if I take out the card and then select to play the music from the card reader it informs me that there is no SD card inserted, so it knows there's no card, but once a card is inserted and play from the SD card is selected, the screen goes completely grey and the touch screen is non responsive

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,917 Times in 1,280 Posts

Hi mollydog

Have you tried resetting the unit by disconnecting the power for 60 seconds or more.

I have had units do strange things after a flat battery and a full power cycle after replacing the battery seems to fix strange problems.

You have nothing to lose by tiring that.

Cheers

SS Dave
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

Thanks

I haven't tried that Dave, I'll go out now and disconnect it completely from the power, here's an update

I've took this video clip in case it might help, like I said everything works on it with the exception of reading my SD card with music on it or anything connected the the mini USB at the front but it will let me connect my iPad to the jack plug and play the music off my iPad, before, anything connected to the mini USB movie clips or music it would play but not now (it still reads the GPS on the micro SD card though)

hope this might explain better
    [MEDIA=youtube]X-HgmEXrEig[/MEDIA]

I hate to bin this head unit as I'm happy with it, of all the things it can do the two I use the most GPS and music on the SD card, why didn't any of the other things I don't use on it packed up?

I ordered a new SD card and it came today, but still nothing, after it didn't work the first time I inserted the SD card in, I went back and formatted the card with SDFormater but nothing, the very funny thing is, it knows if I take out the card and then select to play from the SD card, and come to that, if I select to read from the memory stick and I haven't connected a memory stick to the unit it tells me I don't have a memory stick connected, am I scratching my head or what, I'm off to do what you said Dave, fingers crossed

Thanks

just got back from cutting the power from to the head unit for around 2 minutes, sadly still the same, the sad part is it might cost more to repair this head unit than to buy a new one

Thanks

well sent an email to erisin.com and go back a request for an invoice number, I had explained in my first email to them where I got it from and that it was 4 or 5 years ago and only asked if there was something I could do to get the unit back to factory settings as the soft reset wasn't getting it to read the SD card, over a week not a word, so sent another email yesterday but won't be holding my breath they will respond let alone help

Thanks

You might want to do a OS factory reset. It sounds something went corrupt when battery got disconnected.
    Those HUs are never off, they go to sleep mode so having battery disconnected without properly shutting down the unit could corrupt the system.

Thanks

I got an email back from Erisin, I can't say I was expecting anything more, basically washing their hands of it

++
    hello,

if you buy via ebay, please contact with the ebay seller easyrising88service@erisin.com for help.

and we are afraid there is no software update for this unit, it is such old unit.

jane
    ++

yes I've emailed the guy I bought it from off ebay, but heard nothing back yet

such a shame as it woks just fine bar for the SD card

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mollydog View Post
    just got back from cutting the power from to the head unit for around 2 minutes, sadly still the same, the sad part is it might cost more to repair this head unit than to buy a new one
    Yeah I'd just buy a new one.

Thanks

I ended up getting an Android head unit this time round, I'm getting us to it's features, as there's no way of knowing how things work before you buy these Ghinese head units, what I've found out is that it will play music in the back ground as you have the sat nav on the screen but would you believe it, there is no way to skip to the next song on the SD card unless you come out of the sat nav and go in to the SD card music player

what they have done is have a button to be able to move up one station on the radio, if you have the sat nav on, one would of thought if you had the radio on in the background you wouldn't know what the next station on the radio was , so wouldn't need that button for moving up the next station on the radio but would of been very handy for moving up to the next song on the SD card.

I would like to ask 3 questions, yes, I've emailed to ebay seller with these questions but haven't got back a reply that answers my question and I'm still writing to him. with questions but its taking ages for each answer and not that it's a full explanation, the manual that came with it is so vague it hasn't even an image of the head unit to explain what the buttons do, not that there are that many on it

I was told by the seller, after he contacted the factory that I have to come out of the sat nav and in to the SD car player to skip a song, so I was wondering, could this button made to move up the radio station, with software be made to go to next song on the SD card as opposed to the radio?

the other question is I've tried to put a custom start up screen for the igo that came pre installed on the head unit (not on an SD card), I've found the folder they are in and I've mad a custom one with the right res and saved as a BMP file, but unlike when I had IGO primo on the old WINCE head unit, this version has the loading screen files in folder thats then saved as a zip file, any tips on what I might be doing wrong here? as I'm using a Mac I went on an online site to zip my folder with the files files

I'd like to have a custom bootanimation, I've read up lots on it in the past week or so from the net but still can not get it to work,, yes I've had the movie cut up in to images (70) numbered 00001.jpg to 00070.jpg (then saved using the PNG) the desc.text file contains this script

1024 600 10

p 1 0 part0
    p 0 0 part1

with a carriage return after the second folder (p 0 0 part1 )

also any help with this will be most welcome

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mollydog View Post
    I ended up getting an Android head unit this time round, I'm getting us to it's features, as there's no way of knowing how things work before you buy these Ghinese head units, what I've found out is that it will play music in the back ground as you have the sat nav on the screen but would you believe it, there is no way to skip to the next song on the SD card unless you come out of the sat nav and go in to the SD card music player

what they have done is have a button to be able to move up one station on the radio, if you have the sat nav on, one would of thought if you had the radio on in the background you wouldn't know what the next station on the radio was , so wouldn't need that button for moving up the next station on the radio but would of been very handy for moving up to the next song on the SD card.

I would like to ask 3 questions, yes, I've emailed to ebay seller with these questions but haven't got back a reply that answers my question and I'm still writing to him. with questions but its taking ages for each answer and not that it's a full explanation, the manual that came with it is so vague it hasn't even an image of the head unit to explain what the buttons do, not that there are that many on it

I was told by the seller, after he contacted the factory that I have to come out of the sat nav and in to the SD car player to skip a song, so I was wondering, could this button made to move up the radio station, with software be made to go to next song on the SD card as opposed to the radio?

the other question is I've tried to put a custom start up screen for the igo that came pre installed on the head unit (not on an SD card), I've found the folder they are in and I've mad a custom one with the right res and saved as a BMP file, but unlike when I had IGO primo on the old WINCE head unit, this version has the loading screen files in folder thats then saved as a zip file, any tips on what I might be doing wrong here? as I'm using a Mac I went on an online site to zip my folder with the files files

I'd like to have a custom bootanimation, I've read up lots on it in the past week or so from the net but still can not get it to work,, yes I've had the movie cut up in to images (70) numbered 00001.jpg to 00070.jpg (then saved using the PNG) the desc.text file contains this script

1024 600 10

p 1 0 part0
    p 0 0 part1

with a carriage return after the second folder (p 0 0 part1 )

also any help with this will be most welcome
    I have learned from my experience that in most of the cases, the seller is as cluless as the users. He just sells the products.

• 25-11-22, 01:47 AM