Thread: mobile broadband

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default mobile broadband

Hi I have a telstra netgear air card 810s , can I put other sims in it or is it locked to telstra . thanks

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

My guess it will be and not only that, it may only accept a specific Telstra card like the Sierra Air card 320u I used for their Mobile Broadband.

The SIM card is Blue in colour and it will not work in any other Telstra devise, nor will any other Telstra card work in it.
    You will have to ring Telstra 'Big Pond' to find out. Try 137663
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

xapi (09-03-17)

Thanks

It looks like you can unlock them but can it be used with other ISP, I don't know. Here are the instructions but Telstra might charge for the unlock pin.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Thanks for replies guys , I wanted to give to a friend , I think he is with optus so probably no go for now

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    nor will any other Telstra card work in it.
    Bit late in time, any Telstra SIM Card from AldiMobile, Boost or Belong mobile will work

Premium Member

Thanks

You have taken that quote out of context as the Sierra Air Card 4G device I was referring to when I made that comment also it not work on the 'new' 700 Mhz ? Band nor will any other SIM card function in it.
    Apart from trying other Telstra SIM cards in it (which didnt work) I rang Telstra and they confirmed it would only function on that specific card.

The 4G card from the Sierra Air card would NOT work in either an Elite Telstra Modem nor a Mobile phone.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 19-01-18 at 03:00 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Well Telstra gave you bum advice. Any current SIM card will work in the Sierra Air Card or any other Telstra device. Telstra haven't had locked to device SIM cards for longer than I can remember. The CMotech modems were the last locked to SIM Telstra devices. Thinking back must be 10+ years past.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Not sure if this helps, but every Telstra branded Android phone i've had works perfectly with an Optus SIM in it.
    I do remember the Telstra Netgear stuff being firmware stuck to the Telstra Network (which i would think covered Boost, Aldi, Woolworths)
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lineland View Post
    Well Telstra gave you bum advice. Any current SIM card will work in the Sierra Air Card or any other Telstra device. Telstra haven't had locked to device SIM cards for longer than I can remember. The CMotech modems were the last locked to SIM Telstra devices. Thinking back must be 10+ years past.
    It is possible for a card to be devise specific like the SMART card used by Foxtel.

Now as for Telstra giving me 'Bum advise' I had already tried another Telstra SIM card (with credit) in the Sierra Air card modem (BEFORE ringing them ) and it would NOT, NOT work.
    I tried the SIM from the Air car in the Telstra elite modem and it would NOT, NOT work in it either.
    Now I know the Elite Modem will work on another Telstra SIM card because I took the one out of our Mobile and went On Line.
    Optus isnt a strong signal here without an external antenna so I dont have easy access to one.

I think I purchased the Siera Air Card 4G modem at least 4 or more years ago.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 31-01-18 at 11:33 AM.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 886 Posts

Aldi Data only plans

Premium Member

Thanks

I am into my 5th Month using the $15 Aldi SIM and now because of the changes made, I am now able to continuously 'Roll Over' any Data left at the end of the Billing Month.
    I have run out of data once and all it does is stop you downloading things the Emails, BOM and Facebook but you can still make and receive calls.
    There are other similar SIM plans (cheaper too) now on the Market but most of the SIM's can only be bought Online and due to my location, Telstra covers my area where the others are unreliable.

Also I have it set on 'Auto Recharge' so I dont have to worry about forgetting when the 'end of the Month' is.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 27-10-18 at 01:19 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

pheggie (28-10-18)

Thanks

Default It's not the sim, its the aircard

The Aircard has some settings in it that simply need additional data to accommodate an Optus sim or any other sim for that matter if you have the right info.

I have two of these Aircards aka Netgear aka Sierra. The one I am currently using is branded by Telstra and boots up with the logo.
    I use an Optus sim in it with absolutely no issues. The other one is non branded actually but the Telstra one is the first one I bought so . . . it gets used.
    Netgear bought out Sierra around 2013 thus the Sierra Aircard became the Netgear Aircard.
    This additional input needs doing just the once. I changed mine so long a go it took me some time to remember what I had to do.
    I remember you will need to connect the Aircard to a PC and get into the modem settings via your browser to change the APN details that mobile phone operators use in devices such as these. Sorry I can't be more help but I can say that the Aircard requires 4 or 5 letters or numbers only to be added to make it available for a different providers network.
    You need only add a couple of APNs and one other number from memory and that it, done! Don't even need to remove the other APNs already there.

Quote: The Access Point Name (APN) is the name for the settings your phone reads to set up a connection to the gateway between your carrier's cellular network and the public Internet.

Check it out for Optus here:

Mobile Phone APN
    Name: Optus Yes Internet
    APN: yesinternet
    ----------------------------
    Mobile Broadband APN
    Name: Connect
    APN: connect

----------------------------
    Wireless Broadband APN
    Name: Optus Internet
    APN: LTEBROADBAND