Thread: Foxtel - New Activation Help

Thanks

Default Foxtel - New Activation Help

Hello!
    I've recently moved to a new rental which is "foxtel ready" (it was built in about 2011/2012 and is a large unit block - 13 levels) and so decided to get foxtel iQ2. As I was told the building was foxtel ready I got the self install kit which seemed easy enough. I connected everything and then called foxtel to activate and they said it would take a few minutes to then work. Unfortunately it did not, the TV would connect to the box (so I knew it wasn't an issue with the HDMI connection etc) but it just says no signal being received. I called back and they said everything was connected and should be working so it must be a problem at my place/the connection and the only way to fix it would be to send a technician out.
    Apologies for any incorrect technical terms I use here but I'm assuming this is due to the aerial connection. In my wall I have two aerial output connections next to each other in the same wall thing and they both are the ones where you have to screw the aerial cable into it (thin pin, screws into it).
    I tried both of them on the TV to see if i could at least get FTA, the aerial connection in the wall on the left didnt work, but the right one did - so I at least know that one works.
    My foxtel box only has one aerial input on the back - but would it by any chance be that I need to have the two aerial connections in the wall connect to the one at the back of the foxtel box?
    Has anyone had the same issue? Would prefer if I could fix it rather than try organise time off work to have them come out!
    Thanks!

Look Here ->
    Thanks

The iq2 has 4 connections on the back for the satellite and requires 2 cables
    connected to input 1 & 2 because one is 13v the other 18v ( vertical - horizontal )

dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

Thanks

Hi diavalo,

My box must be the cable one - it was the following box with the following instructions;

Could maybe we have been sent the cable box rather than the satellite box? Long shot but I assume you can't get a adapter for this?

Thanks!

Thanks

is the building CABLE or SATELLITE ready, you say the wall plate has 2
    connections take a picture and post it here so we can see if one is fox and the
    other terrestrial or if both are fox because if they are both fox then id say the building is
    sat and not cable.
    Last edited by fandtm666; 02-04-17 at 04:57 PM.
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

Thanks

Unsure if satellite or cable - was never asked the question so assumed foxtel knew and sent out the correct one for our address

Photo below;

Appreciate your help with this!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Compare the back of your STB with the diagram supplied by Diavalo 1366 and that will tell you clearly what you have.
    You CANNOT connect a Cable STB to a Satellite STB, they are TOTALY different systems like AM and FM.
    The wall plate with that twin Type F connectors looks like your on Satellite, not Cable.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,043 Times in 6,759 Posts

That wallplate is not a standard Foxtel outlet.

As you say, the building was 'Foxtel ready' so it appears the building has been pre-cabled by an installer other than Foxtel (probably a sparky).

The connector on the left is for the phone line.

Usually, two F connectors on a Foxtel outlet are for satellite, but not being a Foxtel-installed outlet plate, they could be anything.

You said you get FTA (terrestrial) signal from the connector on the right.... if that's the case, then the other F connector is likely to be Foxtel cable.

This, together with the Foxtel cable decoder you were sent certainly suggests you have Foxtel via cable.

Your building's Foxtel records should indicate which delivery method your building has.... which is what they would have looked up and sent you a cable box.

If your Foxtel box doesn't work when connected to that outlet, it may not be connected somewhere else in the building and you will need to arrange a Foxtel tech to sort it out.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (03-04-17),OSIRUS (03-04-17),Tiny (03-04-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

Having back boned plenty of MDUs for Foxtel Sat and FTA; the standard procedure is to diplex the two signals.
    FTA is available on both sockets, as is Foxtel. For IQ use, the Hills BC44021 separates the FTA and allows both systems to work concurrently.
    Caveat: under four storeys is contracted to Foxtel certified installers. As Built Scope of Works must be supplied before Foxtel will enable services.
    No strata agent, or body corporate can claim Foxtel availability unless it is factual.

Last edited by TVguy; 10-04-17 at 11:16 PM.
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov