Thread: Had to use DOS for backup!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Default Had to use DOS for backup!

Friend had a Windoze lappie that would not re-boot after an update - permanent "hurry up and wait" going round and round. Easy, so I thought. Re-boot into safe mode, nup, won't let me near it. Eventually I was able to convince windoze to enter repair mode, OK let it do its stuff. Re-installed windoze keeping the user files. HOORAY it works. Yeah! Right! Stupid me, should have backed up everything at that point. Re-started and back to the bloody hurry up and wait again! Stuff it! Should have backed up the data. OK, I thought, boot from Hiren and use that to create a backup. Bloody thing throws up a BSOD trying to load EXPEE. Ok try UBCD, same same. Allright, break out a Linux live CD, Even the one I had on hand did not want to mount the drive because it says Windoze did not shut it down properly. Duh! Ya Think?????? OK try doing another windoze repair, which did not work last time. This time it tells me it can't repair, but, at least it sees the drive. Hah! Load a DOS box! I'm in!!! now to remember all of my old DOS commands, copy /s would not work, ah! xcopy /s . 30Gb of data later I have a backup! Perform a cold boot and repartition and re-load. Copy all the data back to the machine and all is happy. Happy friend, at least she did have a backup of which I was unaware. So, don't forget those old DOS commands just yet. I'm just glad that the drive wasn't full, I don't have enough spare capacity to back up a 1TB drive.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

dashinson (23-07-17),jimbo123 (24-07-17),mtv (23-07-17),tristen (23-07-17),william10 (24-07-17)

Look Here ->