Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Xiaomi Mi Box Amlogic S905X 2GB RAM 8GB ROM TV Box - International Version

Thanks

This box has to be the most over rated Android TV Box.
    Streaming restricted to WiFi only is always buffering.
    My SCISHION V88 Android TV Box streams better.
    As for Apps, being a "true" android tv and not a mobile phone clone android system,
    many apps dont work.
    I have found the best way to install apps (not on playstore) is to have ES explorer on
    all your devices (including Xiaomi Mi TV Box)
    Via ES explorer on another device (phone), choose app you wish to install to Xiaomi
    then choose send. You sync Xiaomi via ES explorer and the app will appear in downloads.
    Simply install and then test to see if it works.
    Some apps are okay but many are buggy or wont work at all.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty2 View Post
    Shame that they don't have Ethernet connections, only one usb and a limited "playstore". Seem to be a bit "locked down", refusing to install mobdro and some other apps. Side-loading seems problematic.
    I cant say I have had any real dramas. I consider it a bargain.

Wifi has been great. Yes, there are things missing from the playstore but I have managed to find hacked .apks for everything I want such as Foxtel Go. Just put them on a usb stick and install them.
    Streaming has been great with Foxtel Go, picture quality watching AFL has been excellent.

Thanks

Hi admin
    Any hints where I can find F***Go app to work on TV Box.
    I have official on phone with my own subscription account.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Is this box capable of running Kodi 17.6+?
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Thanks

Kodi is available from playstore. Yes it runs.

Premium Member

Thanks

I should have added is this box still relevant or has it been surpassed by others. Running an older Minix box which is showing signs of its age!

Thanks

Here is a quick summary from
    It is one of the recommended boxes.
    XIAOMI MI TV
    Fantastic Android TV despite the average specs, has a brilliant performance and does exactly what it promises and more! Supports 4K HDR @ 60 FPS and has great audio quality as well. If you are looking for an Android TV device and spending for an NVIDIA Shield is simply too much, this is the best alternative! Now it also supports voice commands from the remote control and comes with the default Google TV launcher as any Android TV device. Powered by an Amlogic S905X and 2GB of RAM it only has 8GB of local storage but you can always use external hard drive. Great value for money!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    I should have added is this box still relevant or has it been surpassed by others.
    I don’t think Xiaomi is updating this box anymore. It still runs on Android TV 6, and there doesn’t seem to be any desire by them to upgrade it to 7 (beta aside).

There are rumours around they will skip Nougat and will be upgraded straight to Oreo - but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Thanks

Oreo is out guys

Also there was a Nougat build out for ages

I have 4 given some as gifts love these things to bits, cheap and powerful, there's even ways to turn the Chinese one into the American one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nullb View Post
    Oreo is out guys

Also there was a Nougat build out for ages
    Nougat was and remains beta only - there was never a production release

Appears the same with Oreo, although that isn’t even at the beta stage, and is only available to test users.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed, but still won’t hold my breath

Thanks

The Nougat one was perfectly fine I run it all all of my stuff without issue.

I'll see if I'm allowed to share Oreo, I'm still running Nougat on most of mine.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shlocker View Post
    Hi admin
    Any hints where I can find F***Go app to work on TV Box.
    I have official on phone with my own subscription account.
    I am pretty sure these are the ones I used, I only used Foxtel cant guarantee the rest. Post back when you have got it so I can turn the sharing link off (I dont care if anyone else wants to help themselves but it wont be there for long)

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (02-05-18),OSIRUS (02-05-18)

Thanks

Those look like they came from the WP thread where somebody extracted them off the Puck, those do indeed work.
    For Foxtel Now but not Foxtel Go you can make Go work if you root the mi and mess around a ton, it's hardly worth the effort.

Thanks

The Nougat one was perfectly fine I run it all all of my stuff without issue.

I'll see if I'm allowed to share Oreo, I'm still running Nougat on most of mine.
    Nougat has a number of issues which remain unresolved, hence why it never went into production and remains in beta.

Oreo - at this time - is unfortunately no different.

Thanks

Those look like they came from the WP thread where somebody extracted them off the Puck, those do indeed work.
    For Foxtel Now but not Foxtel Go you can make Go work if you root the mi and mess around a ton, it's hardly worth the effort.
    I'm using it for Foxtel Now, & have banished the ueless Foxtel puck to the spare room. It also gives me Kodi, Netflix & a heap of other apps so I don't need a separate kodi box as well as the puck. As I have FTA from the Fetch Mighty, I'm much better off, & the Mi is also cheaper than the puck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    Nougat has a number of issues which remain unresolved, hence why it never went into production and remains in beta.

Oreo - at this time - is unfortunately no different.
    Oreo only has one issue so far the mic not working on the early units. I use Nougat without issues, it was stable Netflix and Youtube all worked fine use it daily never crashed once.

Quote Originally Posted by jgm View Post
    I'm using it for Foxtel Now, & have banished the ueless Foxtel puck to the spare room. It also gives me Kodi, Netflix & a heap of other apps so I don't need a separate kodi box as well as the puck. As I have FTA from the Fetch Mighty, I'm much better off, & the Mi is also cheaper than the puck.
    Preach it brother, Mi Box is amazing

Premium Member

Thanks

Now on special

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Finally got one of these suckers last week. Very fast and responsive and stunning picture. Kodi, YouTube, Netflix and Plex all work brilliantly so far and the config process was eerily easy with the Google app on my phone. No wifi passwords, Google sign ins etc. Only 7plus and Ten Play are available from the Play Store so far. I've tried sideloading 9Now, iView and SBSOD but it defaults to the portrait mobile phone versions which is a pain - anyone got a source for TV version apks?

I've also got a HDHomeRun sending local DVB-T channels to Kodi on the Mi Box which so far the experience is as if it's got a tuner. Haven't tried recording yet but plan to.

The U4 is now destined for the bin as it was pretty much useless from the beginning. All videos no matter which app I was using would stutter even after multiple factory resets, software upgrades and swapping Wifi to LAN. Even the DVB-T channels would eventually begin glitching after about 30 minutes of viewing. It's a shame because I liked the interface and I liked not having to require a separate TV server of some sort to watch local FTA.

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    I am pretty sure these are the ones I used, I only used Foxtel cant guarantee the rest. Post back when you have got it so I can turn the sharing link off (I dont care if anyone else wants to help themselves but it wont be there for long)

Thanks admin
    I have these already. The confusion is "Foxtel Go" vs "Foxtel Now" (previously called Play)
    I was after a "go apk" that may work with a TV box as it only works on phones & tablets.
    Part of IQ subscription you get use of "Go App" with sign in, but NOT "Now app"
    You need a further subscription for access to "Now".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smacca View Post
    Finally got one of these suckers last week. Very fast and responsive and stunning picture. Kodi, YouTube, Netflix and Plex all work brilliantly so far and the config process was eerily easy with the Google app on my phone. No wifi passwords, Google sign ins etc. Only 7plus and Ten Play are available from the Play Store so far. I've tried sideloading 9Now, iView and SBSOD but it defaults to the portrait mobile phone versions which is a pain - anyone got a source for TV version apks?

I've also got a HDHomeRun sending local DVB-T channels to Kodi on the Mi Box which so far the experience is as if it's got a tuner. Haven't tried recording yet but plan to.

The U4 is now destined for the bin as it was pretty much useless from the beginning. All videos no matter which app I was using would stutter even after multiple factory resets, software upgrades and swapping Wifi to LAN. Even the DVB-T channels would eventually begin glitching after about 30 minutes of viewing. It's a shame because I liked the interface and I liked not having to require a separate TV server of some sort to watch local FTA.
    Shame about yours, mine is going strong and has never missed a beat. Still use it daily and enjoy it

• Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast