Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Xiaomi Mi Box Amlogic S905X 2GB RAM 8GB ROM TV Box - International Version

Thanks

Anyone suffered problem the box has no IP adress after resume from sleep state? On wifi.
    It goes very often.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Smacca View Post
    Just following up on my post last year about Live Channels and TVirl. The latter never had an auto-update feature for the EPG which was a bit of a pain. Recently they started charging a pretty unreasonable monthly fee just for the auto-update option. So I went back to Kodi TV channels for a while but have since discovered a great alternative for a great price.

Look no further than TiviMate! It looks and feels like Live Channels but has way more options. It only costs $8 per year for access to auto-updating and a swathe of other customisations. I've been using now for about a week and I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a fast, reliable alternative to Kodi for live stream watching!

Search for it on the Play Store app or install it from here:
    Much appreciated information mate. I also baulked at TvIrl's fee.......I really dont know how they think that's value for money in any way or form. While I am happy to pay, fark, thats just extortion. I will definitely check TiviMate out and give it a run and if all good, no problem paying $8.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (03-11-19),Smacca (01-11-19),th37sk (03-11-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Yeah, he's asking way too much for just one feature. He does a great job with TVirl itself, but a price akin to a monthly subscription TV charge is just ridiculous. Finally there's an alternative!

I think you'll like TiviMate. The switching between channels from a single network (like ch+/- from 7 to 7two to 7mate etc) is quicker than my TV's built-in tuner. Unbelievable!

Not sure if you're using my playlists or EPG, but I've just added hundreds of radio stations (work in progress so no guides just yet). TiviMate separates them into their own Radio category unlike Live Channels, which is awesome.

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Smacca For This Useful Post:

admin (05-11-19),ol' boy (26-04-20),OSIRUS (03-11-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krpkr View Post
    Anyone suffered problem the box has no IP adress after resume from sleep state? On wifi.
    It goes very often.
    Yes. I had an issue similar to this where Wifi would just stop working randomly. I'm not sure if it would wipe the actual IP address, but the only way I could restore connectivity was to disable and reenable Wifi from the settings.

I traced it to my HDHomeRun causing issues. Removed it and haven't seen the problem since.

I also have other issues more related to sleep state. Sometimes my remote takes forever to connect. I have to go through the pairing "wait for the beep" process on occasion. Other times I don't and I only need to press a button a couple of times to wake the remote up. I also have an issue where apps stay in a constant "Pending Update" mode with greyed out launcher icons showing indefinitely after sleep state. Only a reboot clears it. They're still accessible but it's annoying.

Another issue I have while I'm at it; Kodi takes forever to load. Stays on a grey screen for something like 30 seconds to a minute before the app actually loads. Makes it very frustrating to use Kodi altogether.
    Last edited by Smacca; 01-11-19 at 05:34 PM.

Thanks

Try kCleaner? to tidy up your Kodi?

Premium Member
    Thanks

Thanks. Will give it a shot

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smacca View Post
    Yeah, he's asking way too much for just one feature. He does a great job with TVirl itself, but a price akin to a monthly subscription TV charge is just ridiculous. Finally there's an alternative!

I think you'll like TiviMate. The switching between channels from a single network (like ch+/- from 7 to 7two to 7mate etc) is quicker than my TV's built-in tuner. Unbelievable!

Not sure if you're using my playlists or EPG, but I've just added hundreds of radio stations (work in progress so no guides just yet). TiviMate separates them into their own Radio category unlike Live Channels, which is awesome.
    Thanks mate, all up and running. I personally like it better than TVIrl now that I have played with it for a few days. Radio stations are fantastic, appreciated.

The $8 a year allows use on 5 devices, which is more than fair and covers my needs with a couple spare.

Shit, we are getting spoilt these days. This actually allows people to rearrange their furniture however they want it........you used to have to do it depending on where your antenna socket was and that was the only place the TV could go.
    If I didn't need the antenna for recording music videos off Rage using a digital box on to a USB stick, I would take my antenna off the roof and throw it because it is shit on the major networks but only good on ABC. Where I live was formally a recognized black spot area and people got their channels from Ballarat or something as Arthurs Seat mountain is in the way. I lived not far from my current location in the early 90's and the only TV I could get in the house was the ABC. I was in a rental and all the surrounding houses had huge antennas 6 meters high. I was pretty peeved finding that out after signing the lease, the landlord refused to fund a monster antenna.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (15-11-19),OSIRUS (05-11-19),Smacca (05-11-19)

Administrator
    Thanks

Just wondering peoples opinions on the newer MiBox v's the old one now that its been out for a while ?

I just ordered one and 2 for friends. From memory people said there is little to no difference.... a little more ram and a dedicated Netflix button the remote was about it I think ? What does the Live button actually do ?

I know many here order from overseas, but I will give this local seller a plug

He is superfast, one I ordered I got within 24 hours. After than that, they have all turned up next day. He has a $10 off code which means I got it for $96.99 with free delivery. I notice that is cheaper than order from Gearbest.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Thanks mate, all up and running. I personally like it better than TVIrl now that I have played with it for a few days. Radio stations are fantastic, appreciated.
    Me too. The operational speed and the range of settings does it for me.

Shit, we are getting spoilt these days. This actually allows people to rearrange their furniture however they want it........you used to have to do it depending on where your antenna socket was and that was the only place the TV could go.
    If I didn't need the antenna for recording music videos off Rage using a digital box on to a USB stick, I would take my antenna off the roof and throw it because it is shit on the major networks but only good on ABC. Where I live was formally a recognized black spot area and people got their channels from Ballarat or something as Arthurs Seat mountain is in the way. I lived not far from my current location in the early 90's and the only TV I could get in the house was the ABC. I was in a rental and all the surrounding houses had huge antennas 6 meters high. I was pretty peeved finding that out after signing the lease, the landlord refused to fund a monster antenna.
    I would have been spewing too mate. I bought a house about 3 years ago, right before NBN was being rolled out in the area. I never checked whether I'd be close to a node or not before buying. It wasn't until I settled in I started researching. I was lucky to be situated about 300m from the node once it rolled out. I'd honestly consider selling if I couldn't get decent internet or left with just 4G as the only decent option, so I can imagine what you would have been feeling with shit TV reception.

My Mi Box literally covers everything for me. FTA TV, radio, sport, my own video collections, Spotify for music, everything. I forked out ~$1200 building a Windows Media Center box 8 years ago and this $80 Mi Box not only covers everything above, it performs BETTER than the WMC box ever did. Things are changing faster than ever.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Smacca For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (26-04-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Here are some screenshots of TiviMate for those interested.

TV Guide. Grouping is supported. It reads the group="..." setting for each channel in the m3u and logically puts them in that group, unlike Live Channels. Nice familiar interface for both TV and radio channels.

Some of the settings pages. Multiple playlists and EPGs are supported. It can even use multiple EPG sources for 1 playlist incase a source goes down. Also has a mapping feature for manual tinkering:

On-screen info. You can change the info plate to show on the bottom when surfing, unlike LC! Pressing OK brings up another familiar looking menu:

There's a nice looking channel list when you press left, too.

TiviMate:
    Last edited by Smacca; 05-11-19 at 08:35 PM.

• The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Smacca For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

admin (06-11-19),fred49au (06-11-19),Guiseppe (06-11-19),hinekadon (10-11-19),LeroyPatrol (05-11-19),mkhannah (10-11-19),mtv (06-11-19),ol' boy (06-11-19),OSIRUS (06-11-19),th37sk (06-11-19),tristen (07-11-19)

Thanks

Yep, TiviMate is a great app. I subscribed a few days ago when you first posted about it. Channel change is brilliantly fast, nearly instant and heaps cleaner and smoother than using Live Channels/TVirl.

I also appreciate that TiviMate displays whether a signal is SD or HD (and generally has better stream info eg Stereo, FPS, etc. ), audio-shift and more. It's feature rich and one that I just $$ ponied up to straight away.

I've always sort-or put live channels and IPTV on the back-burner to subs of Netflix, Hulu and the like but starting to enjoy adding m3us and seeing what I can come up with.
    Cheers Smacca

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to th37sk For This Useful Post:

admin (06-11-19),Smacca (06-11-19)

Administrator
    Thanks

Got the new box today and set it up, but havent done much else. Will watch it tonight. Damn I hate typing stuff in to these boxes, it sends me bonkers. I seriously cant do it unless I take Valium. I dont know why

I am also about 300 m from the node Smacca at a guess, I get nearly full sync on 100/40. I would be spewing if I was further away.

Like you, these boxes have replaced everything. FTA is now a pleasure with no need for an antenna, as even though they fixed the black spot some networks are still average on strength and quality. problem solved.
    I collect music videos and run them off a hard drive using MX Player. Press play and it random plays 1700 music videos. Its like watching Rage with music I actually like (*note, I will try not to start ranting about Rage only playing garbage almost every week, they have never heard of the 70,80s and 90s). Netflix is enough to keep the average person busy, Stan if you want it, Kayo covers sport and increasingly rarely I use Kodi (though I have noticed it can be usefull for chasing Main Event sports like major boxing etc.

Yep, we are now spoilt. Appreciate you taking the time to put the screen shots up, its a pity we cant go back to the days when people would do that and post reviews etc.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (15-11-19),Smacca (06-11-19)

Thanks

Damn I hate typing stuff in to these boxes, it sends me bonkers. I seriously cant do it unless I take Valium. I dont know why
    I love my Nvidia Shield for the ability to use the Shield TV app on phone (which integrates seamlessly with the remote) for quick typing on a phone keyboard. I have the Mi Box S on the bedroom TV and can relate to the comment of needing to take Valium to have patience in entering lengthy URLs etc.

I still use wired LAN via USB adapter on the Mi Box S which doesn't allow for app updates; pita to physically disconnect the lan, reboot, connect to wifi, enable geo-local to update apps (on a VERY slow, low-signal wifi hence wired connection). I usually let app updates bank to 8 "struggling to update" apps on screen before I bother with the above process where it would be ideal to have update in the background like they should.

Overall, it's a great little box and big bang for the money, but ultimately I've decided to give the Mi Box S to family and I'll replace the main TV Shield with the new Shield TV Pro and shift the older Shield to our bedroom TV.

Thanks

Got the new box today and set it up, but havent done much else. Will watch it tonight. Damn I hate typing stuff in to these boxes, it sends me bonkers. I seriously cant do it unless I take Valium. I dont know why
    New tivimate update allows you to backup and restore settings to and from a USB making setting up multiple boxes a breeze

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to manowar For This Useful Post:

admin (21-11-19),Smacca (11-11-19),th37sk (10-11-19)

Thanks

bythe way if no one new you can pay $31 for a lifetime with 5 devices on tivimate

been using it for a while and I find it the better program at the moment

• The Following User Says Thank You to efab For This Useful Post:

Smacca (11-11-19)

Thanks

I collect music videos and run them off a hard drive
    The box powering a USB drive? What capacity?

I have one "on the water" so am curious. My M8S will not power my 1TB USB drive ...
    Last edited by Guiseppe; 10-11-19 at 01:54 PM.
    If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guiseppe View Post
    The box powering a USB drive? What capacity?

I have one "on the water" so am curious. My M8S will not power my 1TB USB drive ...
    I assume that Admin's post refers to a hard drive running on some kind of media centre or computer.
    Last edited by tristen; 10-11-19 at 04:20 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (10-11-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by th37sk View Post
    I still use wired LAN via USB adapter on the Mi Box S which doesn't allow for app updates; pita to physically disconnect the lan, reboot, connect to wifi, enable geo-local to update apps (on a VERY slow, low-signal wifi hence wired connection). I usually let app updates bank to 8 "struggling to update" apps on screen before I bother with the above process where it would be ideal to have update in the background like they should.
    Quote/reply to my own post as I'm not able to edit it; pleased to report I've resolved the pending update issue with multiple apps by going:

Settings --> Apps --> Google Play Store --> Clear Cache / Clear Data
    System Apps --> Force Stop and Clear Data for Android TV Home App

Also, tonight the box is connected to the internet by wired lan via usb ethernet adapter (no wifi) and it updated both Netflix and the RedBull channel without issue (the only 2 updates available).

So, it seems my niggling issue was likely user induced or Android related, not box specific.

Great little unit (Mi Box S). On sale today at Walmart USA for $39 atm (down from $59)!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by th37sk View Post
    Quote/reply to my own post as I'm not able to edit it; pleased to report I've resolved the pending update issue with multiple apps by going:

Settings --> Apps --> Google Play Store --> Clear Cache / Clear Data
    System Apps --> Force Stop and Clear Data for Android TV Home App

Also, tonight the box is connected to the internet by wired lan via usb ethernet adapter (no wifi) and it updated both Netflix and the RedBull channel without issue (the only 2 updates available).

So, it seems my niggling issue was likely user induced or Android related, not box specific.

Great little unit (Mi Box S). On sale today at Walmart USA for $39 atm (down from $59)!
    I tried this and it looks like it has reset the Update Pending problem on the launcher shortcuts.

Word of warning though - clearing data on Android TV Home app resets your home screen and all your launcher shortcuts and custom carousels will disappear!

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    I assume that Admin's post refers to a hard drive running on some kind of media centre or computer.
    Nope, I play music videos from hard drives plugged in to the single usb port. Seagate 1 and 2 TB work fine for me. Even a very old Samsung 1 tb I bought off a member here many years ago works fine.

Edit :

Seagate 2 TB Expansion
    Seagate 1 TB Backup Plus

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (22-11-19),tristen (29-11-19)

• Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast