Thread: SRT 4653 service manual

Thanks

Question SRT 4653 service manual

Does anyone have access to a service manual or components list for the Strong SRT 4653?

Power module has blown a diode, specifically diode 89 (D89). Easy replacement job, but I have no info on the specs and type of diode used.

Any help appreciated.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

I have never seen or heard of a Strong service manual for any model whatsoever.

Precisely where is it located in the PSU (power supply unit)?

It's important to bear in mind that there is a reason for it to have blown, and that needs to be discovered.

I might have an old SRT4653 hidden away somewhere. I shall check for you tomorrow (It's too late now).

Thanks

Much appreciated Tristen,

The unit is at least 9 years old and has been in use that whole time and failed to power up one day, so it appears to have failed while the unit was in standby mode. I can see no obvious issues in the either the main board or the psm.

There is a place on the circuit board for what is labelled D89, but to be honest it is not entirely clear if it was ever there, (multiuse pcb's and all) soldered on reverse but no sign of lead stubs. Hence trying to source a service manual or circuit diagram etc. I have found a few service manuals for other Strong models and the 4356/8110 uses a similar circuit configuration to what I can see on the 4653 board. If the diode should be there it seems likely to be a UZ 15B zener, but as I said, I can't be 100% certain it was ever installed in this particular iteration.

The psm seems to be a different make to the main board, so I'm guessing it was supplied as an "off the shelf" part as build year on Power supply module is Dec 2005.

Where D89 sits on the board it seems to be part of the voltage control circuit on the power supply module, connects to the ground pin on the A6351 rectifier, then linked with the OCP/Feedback pin of same along with a 470pf ceramic cap and then feeds into the emitter of a PC817 photocoupler.

Noted and understood re root cause. At this point I'm gathering info. Haven't put a meter across anything yet.
    Last edited by geoleod; 01-05-17 at 01:35 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

I have checked all the old satellite receivers I have in my shed and unfortunately could not find the model in question.

If I do come across any documentation for that model in my travels I shall let you know.

Somebody at Strong Australia () might be able to help you. Contact them.

Time to take up a pen and paper, get your meter out, and do some serious fault-finding, particularly as you do not know if the diode ever existed. Sometimes marked components are omitted from a PCB.

If using an oscilloscope on the PSU don't forget to use an AC mains isolating transformer.

Also, it might be wise to place a 240V lamp in series with the mains input to the PSU in order to prevent further damage in case of shorts.

But realistically, considering its age and the fact that it's only a DVB, MPEG-2 receiver, perhaps it's time to consider replacing it with a DVB S2 Mpeg 4 receiver as many broadcasters have changed to this standard already and those who haven't will do so in the not-to-distant future.

If cost is a problem, an Openbox or similar from Aliexpress won't cost very much.

Thanks

No worries and thanks again.

You're probably right about replacing it. I like to figure these things out, but not sure I will really have the time for it. It's been sitting on the "project" shelf for a couple of months already, may just go back there for the time being. I've got a few others that will prove more productive to be getting on with in the mean time.

Cheers,