Thread: Self monitoring/lower cost monitoring solutions

Thanks

Default Self monitoring/lower cost monitoring solutions

Hi all,

I have only really ever installed monitored systems, and always recommended against self monitoring. But for a variety of reasons, I am looking at the pros and cons of newer self monitoring/lower cost monitoring solutions (no pstn) for small residential sites.

1. What (well known) systems out there now have the ability to SMS or push notification to multiple mobile phones from either an ethernet connection or 3G sim card, for no or low cost?

After my research and talking to a couple of suppliers, so far the only one that has this ability is Sol 6000 with either the ethernet card, 3G card or wifi keypad, and relies on myalarm's servers and therefore has a (in my opinion) low cost.

I believe Hills comnav only can only send email (in my opinion useless?), and has no cost.

2. Has anyone installed many of these and set customers up through the myalarm system? Do you have any feedback?

3. Has anyone got any idea how much data is used when using a 3G Sim card setup through myalarm?

4. I am assuming it is not polled at all? eg sim card problem, ethernet unplugged, sabotage ect no poll to tell if not working.

5. How fast do the push notifications come through? I have experimented with a 16+ with SMS reporting, and even though it was on PSTN, once the panel had completed its call there was at least a minute delay before the SMS was received. I would like to think it is a lot quicker through the myalarm setup.

6. Is anyone aware if the following setup does work - If you had a 6000 with 3G PCB, and only wanted reporting of alarms through SMS. No output or arm/disarm required. Can a 6000 SMS straight from a 3G Sim Card?

Any other suggestions or comments welcome.
    Thanks

Look Here ->
    Thanks

There is the Risco Panel, have not tried them since the days of the 2G, but have been told there is the 3G version out not now.

• The Following User Says Thank You to xr5adam For This Useful Post:

Machida (15-05-17)

Thanks

Ademco/Honeywell Vista 12 and 48 panels have a "follow me" feature which is designed to call mobiles and home phones, max of 3 numbers(user programmable), up to 6 times each if tech programmed (twice is enough), if you press * in the pause it will stop the panel dialling the next number, they also have a paging section which i've never played with, might be SMS..

These panels only have PSTN connection so a 3G/4G unit or NBN's UNI-V is required as an extra if on NBN, we use the cheap NESS wireless terminals and get the customer to supply the SIM card, the calls are only a standard mobile call (about 35c) and last 20 seconds max, just strip out all reports except alarms.

Connection speed is about 10-30 seconds also, but that's a exchange thing and there's nothing you can do about it..

SMS data isn't much from memory, but that depends on what you are sending, 1 page of SMS is 180 characters, but i don't remember a data charge, just a 15cent charge per page.

And for information, ADT send texts to notify clients about an alarm, unless you have a loud SMS ring tone, you'll miss it.

Whether an email is a decent option would depend on the emails being pushed through to their phone, and how loud the "email arrived" tone is, but wouldn't suggest it as an option.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Dfektiv For This Useful Post:

Machida (15-05-17)

Thanks

Thanks, yes I am not after a PSTN dialler solution. Also NBN in my area is FTTN, so technically there is no UNI-V port (I think ), so I wouldn't really install it without a UPS, and the customers tight enough not to pay for a proper monitored solution wont pay for extras like a UPS. A lot of these customers may also not have a wired phone/internet so 3G is really what I am after. Also with your suggestion I am after something that can report mains, battery fails ect, so really a SMS or push notification solution is what I am seeking.

I havent dealt with ADT, but that sounds absolutely terrible. The only thing I can think of is that you need to text them back, and if they dont receive a reply within say 30 seconds then they may text someone else or start calling, which I guess may not even be any slower then trying to call people and leaving voice mails.

Thanks for your reply with your ideas, I will have a look into that Ness product.

Thanks

There is also DSC with the Alarm.Com module through Hills I think and also the is Zero wire which is pushed by Telstra in Aussie.
    Both run to apps and do zwave and some video etc.
    Zerowire is far quicker
    Aspire to Inspire Before you Expire!!

Banned
    Thanks

I have used the Sol 6000 with Wifi connection so far. It has an option to be polled at 12hr interval.
    I heard they are releasing a 3G package (SIM with plan) for the MyAlarm connection some time in May? Still waiting for it to be released.

Thanks

Yeah just offering alternative solutions and how we do it.
    We have FTTH here so not sure on the FTTN set-up.

Though i would have thought FTTN utilizes ADSL to get into the premise, otherwise you're stuck with VOIP, and that isn't a good thing, we've had a few of customers cancel their VOIP and go with UNI-V, something to do with calls being choppy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poody View Post
    There is also DSC with the Alarm.Com module through Hills I think and also the is Zero wire which is pushed by Telstra in Aussie.
    Both run to apps and do zwave and some video etc.
    Zerowire is far quicker
    Ok thanks, are you aware if these need to be integrated into a control room? If not do they go straight from panel > phone or panel > 3rd party server > phone?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jrtech View Post
    I have used the Sol 6000 with Wifi connection so far. It has an option to be polled at 12hr interval.
    I heard they are releasing a 3G package (SIM with plan) for the MyAlarm connection some time in May? Still waiting for it to be released.
    Ok thanks, so just to confirm that is polled panel to my alarms servers? Im assuming it is and if the server does not receive the poll it will send through a notification?

Do you have any other further info on the new my alarm package? My bosch supplier did not mention it.
    Last edited by Machida; 15-05-17 at 08:14 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dfektiv View Post
    Yeah just offering alternative solutions and how we do it.
    We have FTTH here so not sure on the FTTN set-up.

Though i would have thought FTTN utilizes ADSL to get into the premise, otherwise you're stuck with VOIP, and that isn't a good thing, we've had a few of customers cancel their VOIP and go with UNI-V, something to do with calls being choppy.
    To be honest I havent looked right into it as I arent available to receive it at home yet. But yes I believe it is a version of DSL. Whatever it is the panels that have been connected to it when the carrier has been and done a changeover haven't liked it, most wont report a thing.
    Last edited by Machida; 15-05-17 at 08:15 PM.

Thanks

Not reporting a thing would be VOIP, panel is able to dial the number and connect, but the signal frequencies are not supported, the line acts like it's picked up but no tones from monitoring co for the panel to commence communicating.
    Or i've had partial signals, the panel id got through, but all signals were zone zero.

I know the pain of tight fisted customers, but NBN has made sure everyone has to pay at least double to keep what they have had for years.

Thanks

I just posted this on another thread but can do everything you mention. Has IP / 3G or both, easy set up, good app, easy to install.