Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast
Results 381 to 400 of 526

Thread: Vic police have the green light to charge george pell with sexual abuse

  1. #381
    LSemmens
    lsemmens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Rural South OZ
    Posts
    8,823
    Thanks
    8,720
    Thanked 5,461 Times in 2,632 Posts
    Rep Power
    2406
    Reputation
    100480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    Today you have Money for the complainants and that it. ...............
    Take away money and you might get the truth.
    Agreed
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

    hinekadon (16-11-19)



  • #382
    Premium Member
    ol' boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    17,649
    Thanks
    8,124
    Thanked 10,439 Times in 5,189 Posts
    Rep Power
    4416
    Reputation
    183852

    Default

    So what are chances that George Pell is released, flys back to Italy and dies from Corona Virus?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 12-03-20 at 01:26 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

  • The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

    allover (20-03-20)

  • #383
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,600
    Thanks
    349
    Thanked 1,407 Times in 657 Posts
    Rep Power
    632
    Reputation
    27714

    Default

    I thought Italy was in lockdown?
    Might have the perfect excuse NOT to let him back in at all.... and having been there we won't let him back in either.
    I heard there is a Shortage of Preachers on Christmas Island.

  • #384
    Junior Member
    RogerTheDoger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    State of Despair
    Posts
    139
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 148 Times in 60 Posts
    Rep Power
    74
    Reputation
    3124

    Default

    From the news reports of the trial it sounds like the appeal court has exceeded their authority. As I understand it their job is to rule on any mistakes that were made by the judge during the trial, not rehear all the evidence. Seems they are considering what the jury should have decided on the evidence that was presented to them.

    What is the point of having a jury if a bunch of judges who have not heard all the evidence, as presented in court to the jury, go and second guess them? Sounds crooked to me.

  • #385
    Senior Member
    Reschs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Outside a few schooners
    Posts
    2,667
    Thanks
    599
    Thanked 1,589 Times in 802 Posts
    Rep Power
    649
    Reputation
    22078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RogerTheDoger View Post
    From the news reports of the trial it sounds like the appeal court has exceeded their authority. As I understand it their job is to rule on any mistakes that were made by the judge during the trial, not rehear all the evidence. Seems they are considering what the jury should have decided on the evidence that was presented to them.

    What is the point of having a jury if a bunch of judges who have not heard all the evidence, as presented in court to the jury, go and second guess them? Sounds crooked to me.
    They are there to listen to what was not presented to the Jury.
    In this case Evidence he could not be in two places at the same time.

  • The Following User Says Thank You to Reschs For This Useful Post:

    lsemmens (13-03-20)

  • #386
    Administrator
    admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Victoria
    Age
    52
    Posts
    30,934
    Thanks
    2,215
    Thanked 13,428 Times in 5,708 Posts
    Rep Power
    4376
    Reputation
    159745

    Default

    On top of all that, the prosecutor is bringing in new items, such as her now stating the time period in which Pell allegedly abused 2 boys was "possibly" more than the "5 to 6 minutes" which he was convicted on.

    Its quite an amazing tale, the busiest day on the church calendar and Pell is wearing a ceremonial gown covering him from neck to ankle that took 3 people to put on. He had an assistant with him at all times that isn't allowed to leave his side (and testified he would not have, ever). However, even though there were 2000 people there he managed to sexually abuse 2 boys (one of whom denied any abuse ever took place) in a room, with the door open with people absolutely everywhere. All based on the evidence of one single person. Pell was convicted because this person appeared to be "credible", common sense and evidence didn't really come in to the guilty decision.

    I am looking forward to seeing him released. Not because I am religious (I am an athiest), but because I believe in justice. Justice does not involve convicting someone on no evidence simply because people harbour grudges against the Catholic Church.

    That's Vigilante Justice and its not something we need or want in this country.

  • The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

    alpha0ne (19-03-20),DB44 (20-03-20),enf (19-03-20),george65 (19-03-20),Godzilla (20-03-20),Jma (19-03-20),lsemmens (19-03-20),OSIRUS (20-03-20)

  • #387
    Junior Member
    RogerTheDoger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    State of Despair
    Posts
    139
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 148 Times in 60 Posts
    Rep Power
    74
    Reputation
    3124

    Default

    He was convicted by a jury who did this by hearing all the evidence presented by both the prosecution and the defence and convicted on that alone.

    Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Not because I am religious (I am an athiest)
    Something does not add up. You say you are an Atheist yet you use a as your avatar.
    Last edited by RogerTheDoger; 19-03-20 at 05:17 PM.

  • The Following User Says Thank You to RogerTheDoger For This Useful Post:

    lsemmens (19-03-20)

  • #388
    Premium Member
    wotnot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    660
    Thanks
    209
    Thanked 434 Times in 273 Posts
    Rep Power
    202
    Reputation
    8690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RogerTheDoger View Post
    Something does not add up. You say you are an Atheist yet you use a as your avatar.
    I think you'll find the avatar is actually a ornamental Celtic cross with no religious connotation ~ often these art forms relate to a specific county/region however.

  • #389
    LSemmens
    lsemmens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Rural South OZ
    Posts
    8,823
    Thanks
    8,720
    Thanked 5,461 Times in 2,632 Posts
    Rep Power
    2406
    Reputation
    100480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    I think you'll find the avatar is actually a ornamental Celtic cross with no religious connotation ~ often these art forms relate to a specific county/region however.
    I do agree with roger though, it is a strange thing to select as an avatar if you have no "religious" connection at all. Like Johnno, with his Tearana, it would be strange if He did not like those beasties. My avatar is a reflection of my "belief set", though, not my religion. Of course there can be a simple reason for the choice.......
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

  • #390
    Junior Member
    RogerTheDoger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    State of Despair
    Posts
    139
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 148 Times in 60 Posts
    Rep Power
    74
    Reputation
    3124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    I think you'll find the avatar is actually a ornamental Celtic cross with no religious connotation
    see where it says it's a form of a Christian Cross. It adorns many churches and graves in Christian cemeteries. I've seen them on churches all over south west England.
    The Celtic cross is a form of featuring a or ring that emerged in , and in the . A type of , it became widespread through its use in the stone erected across the islands, especially in regions evangelized by , from the 9th through the 12th centuries.
    A staple of , the Celtic cross is essentially a with a nimbus surrounding the intersection of the arms and stem. Scholars have debated its exact origins, but it is related to earlier crosses featuring rings. The form gained new popularity during the of the 19th century; the name "Celtic cross" is a convention dating from that time. The shape, usually decorated with and other motifs from Insular art, became popular for funerary monuments and other uses, and has remained so, spreading well beyond Ireland.

  • The Following User Says Thank You to RogerTheDoger For This Useful Post:

    lsemmens (19-03-20)

  • #391
    Junior Member
    RogerTheDoger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    State of Despair
    Posts
    139
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 148 Times in 60 Posts
    Rep Power
    74
    Reputation
    3124

    Default

    Back to the court case, I can see where a jury is unable to come to a result because one juror has been got at and holds out for not guilty, when the rest say guilty. However for all 12 to find an innocent person guilty beggars belief.

    Remember both the prosecutor and the defender vet all jurors before the trial and challenge any who they believe may be coming into the trial with preconceived ideas.

    I've served on several juries and know the lengths that are gone too by the jury to ensure a just verdict is determined.

    In addition I've also served as an alter server in a catholic church and believe the scenario being presented to show he didn't do what was claimed are just a smoke screen. His council had every opportunity to fully refute any claims made at the original trial.

    Further to that, it is telling that his council declined to represent him at the appeal, it is a matter of law that council is not permitted to represent as fact something that they know to be a lie, I expect that his council became aware of certain facts during the trial that pointed to his guilt and hence withdrew from the appeal process.

    And finally, once when I as a commentator at a catholic service the Bishop officiated and have see him duck into the toilet off the sacrecy to take a leak, without removing the gown, he just held it up with one hand while holding his knob with the other.

    I think the jury got it right, but I still wouldn't be surprised to see the high court let him off, there is a lot of politics at play.

  • #392
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,600
    Thanks
    349
    Thanked 1,407 Times in 657 Posts
    Rep Power
    632
    Reputation
    27714

    Default

    I am an athiest too and i would happily take on the job of shooting a whole range of scumbags and low lifes BUT, i do not believe in convicting them on made up and bullshit "evidence" even if they deserve one between the eyes. You go down that road and the leftie loons will be having everyone that doesn't think like them locked up... at the very least.
    Last edited by george65; 19-03-20 at 07:25 PM.

  • #393
    Premium Member
    wotnot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    660
    Thanks
    209
    Thanked 434 Times in 273 Posts
    Rep Power
    202
    Reputation
    8690

    Default

    I will likely incur admin's wrath if I venture too far OT, but suffice it to say that Celtic Crosses (or 'head crosses') pre-date the adoption of christianity by the Celtic lands by some 400years, and first appeared in Pagan beliefs unifying elemental forces (of nature). Paganism is not all that far from Atheism at the end of the day - feel free to start a thread in these regards and we can discuss...but not here, that would be rude =)

  • The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

    hinekadon (20-03-20)

  • #394
    Premium Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,232
    Thanks
    1,674
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 869 Posts
    Rep Power
    765
    Reputation
    25428

    Default

    As an Agnostic, i am feeling very lonely on this post
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

  • #395
    Premium Member
    hinekadon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    still above ground level
    Posts
    1,461
    Thanks
    3,833
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 581 Posts
    Rep Power
    649
    Reputation
    27997

    Default

    ALLOVER sorry you feel like that but if you tell me how to join the agnostic club I will have a look at it and may even become one my self . amen
    are you a self appointed hypocrite sheriff or just a nasty person

  • #396
    Premium Member
    ol' boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    17,649
    Thanks
    8,124
    Thanked 10,439 Times in 5,189 Posts
    Rep Power
    4416
    Reputation
    183852

    Default

    Does Catholic Church call them “alter boys” because they become altered after George Pell and his kind touches them?
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

  • #397
    Premium Member
    Mr 672A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Posts
    3,674
    Thanks
    1,024
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 603 Posts
    Rep Power
    587
    Reputation
    18405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    Does Catholic Church call them “alter boys” because they become altered after George Pell and his kind touches them?
    I bets there are Thousands of Men today when they were a child that would like Pell or other Priest to touch them because look at the Money they will get. MONEY, MONEY, MONEY,$$$$$ plenty of MONEY, $$$$$$$, once again you take the money away and you might get the Truth.
    Not responsible for any post written after the 28/10/2014. My pet hate, Corrupt Politicians, Corrupt Legal System + a legal system Australia wide that does not allow you to sue a Solicitor or Barrister for Professional Negligence (as Stated by the Law Society and prominent Lawyers) and Corrupt Cops. Not necessarily in this order. Please Note Lawyers are PROTECTED SPECIES IN THIS COUNTRY, PROTECTED FROM THEIR F..K UPS

  • #398
    Premium Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    1,463
    Thanks
    1,764
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 698 Posts
    Rep Power
    689
    Reputation
    26508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RogerTheDoger View Post
    Back to the court case, I can see where a jury is unable to come to a result because one juror has been got at and holds out for not guilty, when the rest say guilty. However for all 12 to find an innocent person guilty beggars belief.
    What a startlingly naive statement. You missed out on the police would never have recommended prosecution if he was innocent. I like the Jury system. Like the family law and Democracy itself, it is very flawed but is the best we have managed to come up with. People are wrongfully convicted. Juries do get it wrong. When they do the Appeal Courts are reluctant to interfere, and only do so when the decision was simply not open to the jury on the evidence. For the reasons admin so nicely summed up, I believe this is such a case. There is quite simply no corroboration. This decision, if it stands, sets a very dangerous precedent.

  • The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

    lsemmens (20-03-20),OSIRUS (20-03-20)

  • #399
    Junior Member
    RogerTheDoger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    State of Despair
    Posts
    139
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 148 Times in 60 Posts
    Rep Power
    74
    Reputation
    3124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DB44 View Post
    What a startlingly naive statement.
    Grossly insulting and completely uncalled for

    Quote Originally Posted by DB44 View Post
    You missed out on the police would never have recommended prosecution if he was innocent.
    The police can get it wrong, that is why we have jury trials so the evidence can be tested.

    Quote Originally Posted by DB44 View Post
    There is quite simply no corroboration. This decision, if it stands, sets a very dangerous precedent.
    Of course there is no corroboration,the other victim is dead, he took to drugs and unfortunately overdosed, it would be pure speculation to say why he took to drugs.

    Corroboration is not required for a guilty verdict, if it was most rapists would probably go free. The jury obviously believed the evidence of the only surviving victim. Unfortunately the High Court may give weight to the fact that there is no corroboration and let the offender off.

    Don't forget, his council, the barrister who represented him in the original trial, declined to represent him in the appeal. There is a story behind that, which again the High Court are not able to consider.

  • #400
    Junior Member
    RogerTheDoger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    State of Despair
    Posts
    139
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 148 Times in 60 Posts
    Rep Power
    74
    Reputation
    3124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    I think you'll find the avatar is actually a ornamental Celtic cross with no religious connotation ~ often these art forms relate to a specific county/region however.
    It appears you have that incorrect according to this site , which states:-
    According to popular legend, the Celtic Cross was introduced by St Patrick when he was converting the pagans in Ireland to Christianity. (Although others claim it was St Declan who introduced the cross.)

    It has been said that St Patrick combined the Christian cross with the pagan sun to give the newly converted followers the idea of the importance of the cross by linking it with the symbolism of the life-giving properties of the sun, while others say that placing the cross on top of the circle represents Christ's supremacy over the sun, which was worshiped by the pagans.

  • Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •