Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which OBD2 scanner?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Default Which OBD2 scanner?

I'm looking a putting an OBD2 scanner in the toolkit for that inevitable day when a red light comes on.

My automotive skills now belong to another era, but it would be handy to have some understanding of what's happening under the bonnet in the event of.....particularly if Murphy strikes, and it happens out bush somewhere.

The vehicle is a 2011 Colorado diesel....I have the Manual for it (CD) that lists all of the OBD codes.

Based on a bit of research, I'm zeroing in on the Foxwell NT301.....seems basic, but adequate:

But I'm wondering if it's worth spending a bit more and going for the Foxwell NT510.......I always prefer to buy something that's a bit more advanced than what I really need, rather than something cheaper and less capable that invariably ends in frustration as one moves along the learning curve.

Given my currently limited knowledge of the subject, I'd appreciate any guidance in that regard, and any comments on the quality and competence (or otherwise) of the Foxwell instruments in general.

TIA.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

enf (21-05-17)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

If you can stretch the budget id go this one purely because it reads SRS and ABS codes as well

Launch make a really good low cost reader (does not have the print function though)

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carjackma For This Useful Post:

enf (21-05-17),Thala Dan (21-05-17)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

The crappy sensor I bought linked to a phone app. It helped a bit, but didn't really zero in on the problem I had. Based on deduction and some advice from godzilla, I fixed the problem on my own. BUT, accurate reading of these codes is really helpful, and although like you I have older skills (mine are limited to be sure), knowing the issues may come in handy. My car is a 2011 Commodre SS.

I'm seriously looking at carjackmas options. Specifically the Autel. My last problem occurred the first time about 110ks east of Eucla, but fortunately it reset easily and didn't rear its ugly head until I got back to Canberra.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (21-05-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carjackma View Post
    If you can stretch the budget id go this one purely because it reads SRS and ABS codes as well

Launch make a really good low cost reader (does not have the print function though)

Thanks, cj.

The Launch looks a bit basic (from my limited knowledge of the subject).

I had been looking at the Autel on eBay….looks quite OK….but, mate, have you watched the video that’s linked on the eBay listing you provided?

I’ll bet the eBay vendor hasn’t looked at it….if he had, there’s no way he’d have that link on his eBay listing

Have a look at it if you get the chance……..it’s certainly not designed to sell more Autels. The bloke doing the video ends up packing the Autel back in the box and returning it from whence it came

Mind you, it’s not all wine and roses for the Foxwell either:

I’m pretty much shooting in the dark here….not sure what I want, what I should have, and what it would be good to have for the future.

That’s why I’m, leaning towards the NT510…..it seems to have more than what I’m likely to need (at least initially)…..which I’ve found in the past is always a good indicator of what to buy.

Foxwell have a distributor in Australia:

They’ve got a phone number in Qld……I’ll give them a ring tomorrow and see what they reckon.

Strangely enough, they don’t have the NT510 listed in their online shop…only the NT301….interested to find out why.

Will post back with the outcome…….hopefully that will also be of interest to you, enf.

And, yes…..ANY vehicle problem that crops up 110ks east of Eucla is guaranteed to get your undivided attention

• The Following User Says Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

enf (21-05-17)

Thanks

I had the foxwell nt301 but would not connect to a lot of cars so I think now its in the shed some where gathering dust.
    I have the Autel 610 and I cant say I have had any problems yet (although my 300 series autel was awful.)
    Launch have a Australian contact as well they have a few models .
    If you go for whatever brand get one that does transmission codes SRS and ABS it will save you $$$$$ in the long run.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carjackma For This Useful Post:

enf (21-05-17),Thala Dan (21-05-17),VroomVroom (22-05-17)

Thanks

I had the foxwell nt301 but would not connect to a lot of cars so I think now its in the shed some where gathering dust.
    I have the Autel 610 and I cant say I have had any problems yet (although my 300 series autel was awful.)
    Launch have a Australian contact as well they have a few models .
    If you go for whatever brand get one that does transmission codes SRS and ABS it will save you $$$$$ in the long run.
    That shed of yours must be something to behold

Had a look at the Launch site......the only amateur unit with ABS/SRS is the CRP-129.......looks OK, but nudging the price threshold of pain.

Big difference in price between Launch website and eBay......the CReader V+ is $219 at Launch, $60 on eBay.....the CRP-129 is $494 at Launch, $340 on eBay.

The Foxwell NT510 is on eBay for $245-290, and it does ABS/SRS....whichever way, I've put ABS/SRS on the "to have" list.

Amazing how many electronic gadgets are being released these days that only kinda work.....seems to be the way things are done these days.......get the product sort-of working, release it onto the market, and then fix (or maybe not) the multiple bugs as the screams of agony come in from the customers.

I found this with the last Sat Finder i bought (Satking SK-6000), and more recently the Freesat receivers.

Judging by what i'm reading and hearing about some of these OBD scanners, it seems they operate on much the same principle.

Once upon a time it used to be Microsoft that were the only ones that released half-baked products onto the market, but now everybody's doing it.

Oh, for the good old days of Tektronix, Hewlett Packard, Marconi, Fluke, etc..........but then I guess they weren't on eBay for sixty bucks

Will let you know how it all works out.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

carjackma (22-05-17),enf (21-05-17)

Thanks

Rang the Foxwell Qld number today…..got Steve, who turned out to be the auto mechanic who had been in the now-defunct distributorship.

Bit of a rough diamond, but seemed to know his stuff, and was happy to offer advice.

The distributorship I linked to earlier is no more….taken over by a “bigger company”….forgot to ask who.

After explaining what I wanted, he said the NT301 would be fine, and no need for the NT510….I didn’t push the ABS/SRS issue.

I asked about comments on Amazon about update only working on XP……he dismissed that as BS and said the only system the Foxwell update had a problem with was Win 10.

After the call, I had a good look at the AL619, in view of carjackma’s favourable comments about his 610.

Looked like the goods, and cheaper than the NT510.

Since most adverse comments I’ve seen about most models has related to SRS functionality, I sent the following message to an Autel eBayer, who has listed the AL619 as specially programmed for Aus Ford and Holden:

I am considering buying the AL619....I need to check the SRS system on my 2011 Holden Colorado Diesel 4WD.
    Can you please confirm that the AL619 will check and, if necessary, reset codes on the SRS system on my vehicle.
    Received the following reply:

Dear friend
    Thanks for your email
    We may sorry to tell you that this item can't work on your car.
    May I ask your car is 12 V or 24 V?
    Any we can help,please let us know.
    So much for programmed for Australian Ford and Holden.

Next step is to check ABS/SRS functionality of the NT510……if that draws a blank, then looks like I’m back to just a plain vanilla OBD2 scanner….probably a toss-up between the NT301 or the AL519.

Proving more complicated than I thought

enf (26-05-17)

Thanks

It should work resetting SRS codes on your colorado as they work fine resetting codes on my neighbors one which is a 2012 RC Colorado the only car I cant use it on so far is earlier Holdens (commodore) I have to use a laptop with a ALDL cable to reset the SRS on them.

• The Following User Says Thank You to carjackma For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (23-05-17)

Thanks

It should work resetting SRS codes on your colorado as they work fine resetting codes on my neighbors one which is a 2012 RC Colorado the only car I cant use it on so far is earlier Holdens (commodore) I have to use a laptop with a ALDL cable to reset the SRS on them.
    Thanks again, cj.........feedback from the front line is always the most helpful.

As I'm sure you're aware, 2012 was the changeover year for the Colorado from the re-badged Isuzu D-Max (Colorado RC) to the Colorado RG..........from what I can glean from Dr. Google, the Australian RG is still based on the new D-Max....but if your neighbours' vehicle is a RC, that's the same as mine.

I've lodged an inquiry with a Foxwell eBay seller about the SRS capability of the NT510 Holden software.....see what they come back with........but based on your feedback thus far, think I might take a punt on the AL619.

Your assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks

I bought the AL619 and sent it straight back, it wouldn't even read engine codes on a VZ Commodore, even after it was updated. Tried it on other cars and it was useless, it is aimed more at ABS and SRS than Engine codes.
    I got this one and it is a bloody ripper.
    I have tried it on several makes and models and have not found anything it won't work on. It even works on SRS, ABS and engine control modules from OBD1 vehicles (eg VR and VS Commodores) and displays live data ect.
    Costs about twice as much as the AL619 and is about 1000 times better.
    I was a Holden tech for about 20 years and I almost bought the Tech2 scan tool, but this is much better because of its versatility.
    (hint - make an offer of $400 on ebay for this scanner if you want one, that's what I paid) .
    Last edited by whitey66; 25-05-17 at 01:27 PM.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to whitey66 For This Useful Post:

enf (26-05-17),Rick (26-05-17),Thala Dan (25-05-17),VroomVroom (26-05-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whitey66 View Post
    I bought the AL619 and sent it straight back, it wouldn't even read engine codes on a VZ Commodore, even after it was updated. Tried it on other cars and it was useless, it is aimed more at ABS and SRS than Engine codes.
    I got this one and it is a bloody ripper.
    I have tried it on several makes and models and have not found anything it won't work on. It even works on SRS, ABS and engine control modules from OBD1 vehicles (eg VR and VS Commodores) and displays live data ect.
    Costs about twice as much as the AL619 and is about 1000 times better.
    I was a Holden tech for about 20 years and I almost bought the Tech2 scan tool, but this is much better because of its versatility.
    (hint - make an offer of $400 on ebay for this scanner if you want one, that's what I paid) .
    Thanks whitey,

I still had lingering concerns about the AL619 after their reply to me, referenced in my post #7 above, and the rather unflattering video on eBay (the bloke in that did exactly what you did).

I also looked up their compatibility list from their website, and the earliest Colorado it lists is 2014 (mine's 2011)....that tended to reinforce their written advice.

With the combination of that information at hand, i would not have been in a very strong position if I'd bought one and found that it didn't talk to my vehicle.

I contacted Foxwell (thru Fuel Economy Solutions) and received a written assurance that the NT510, with the Ford/Holden software, would talk to everything on my Colorado.

I was also impressed that in an exchange of several emails with them, I received rapid, helpful replies in perfect english

I subsequently ordered the NT510, making it clear to them that the order was contingent on their advice being accurate.

Should be here early next week......once I've loaded the software module and given it a spin I'll post the result.

The MD802 looks like a good unit, and it's handy to have some first-hand feedback.

The price tag (even the negotiated one) would have put me off it a bit, as the $267 for the NT510 was really crossing the need/want border.

As with so much of this recent surge of chinese-electronic-devices-to-do-everything, it seems that you get what you pay for.
    Last edited by Thala Dan; 25-05-17 at 02:53 PM.

enf (26-05-17)

Thanks

OBDII standard has 5 different protocols in use. I suggest finding out your car communication protocol for OBDII datalink and match it with the adaptor you looking to buy.
    Some information on the 5 protocols can be found

If you google for your car OBDII comm standard you should be able to find the exact protocol you need. I used to have a table with major car manufacturers but lost it somewhere. Sure you can find it - just google.
    Another thing is I found having good software is as just important as to have the right adaptor. Ideally you want to find the one which used by your car service centers but it might be a challenge to find free version of it.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fromaron For This Useful Post:

enf (26-05-17),Thala Dan (26-05-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fromaron View Post
    OBDII standard has 5 different protocols in use. I suggest finding out your car communication protocol for OBDII datalink and match it with the adaptor you looking to buy.
    Some information on the 5 protocols can be found

If you google for your car OBDII comm standard you should be able to find the exact protocol you need. I used to have a table with major car manufacturers but lost it somewhere. Sure you can find it - just google.
    Another thing is I found having good software is as just important as to have the right adaptor. Ideally you want to find the one which used by your car service centers but it might be a challenge to find free version of it.
    The scan tool I have reads all of them, if your not sure what model you have you can just select OBD2 and it scans through till it finds the right one.
    I expect most of the scanners in the $200 + price range would do this, and maybe even the cheaper ones.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whitey66 For This Useful Post:

enf (26-05-17),Thala Dan (26-05-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whitey66 View Post
    The scan tool I have reads all of them, if your not sure what model you have you can just select OBD2 and it scans through till it finds the right one.
    I expect most of the scanners in the $200 + price range would do this, and maybe even the cheaper ones.
    All of the units I have looked at in the $100-$300 range do exactly that.

Some of them even claim to read OBD1 as well.

@fromaron

The unit I have purchased has software that covers all Australian Ford and Holden vehicles basically since OBD2 came about, including ABS/SRS.

enf (26-05-17)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thala Dan View Post
    All of the units I have looked at in the $100-$300 range do exactly that.

Some of them even claim to read OBD1 as well.

@fromaron

The unit I have purchased has software that covers all Australian Ford and Holden vehicles basically since OBD2 came about, including ABS/SRS.
    Any report yet?
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks

Sorry for the delay, enf.

Took delivery of the Foxwell NT510 (now the 510Pro) late in May.

Took it out of the box, plugged it in, and got this:

It was supposed to look like this:

Appeared to have no operating system installed….or very little of it, at least.

At this point I became very grateful that I had avoided some of the cheaper sellers on eBay and had bought at a slightly higher price from Fuel Economy Solutions, who had 100% positive feedback, and appeared to be a reasonably professional outfit specialising in this kind of gear.

Their Melbourne Customer Support bloke, Hilmi , turned out to be very helpful and tenacious, and kept in constant touch throughout as he acted as a very competent go-between to the Chinese factory.

I won’t bore you with all the details, but it took close on a week to finally sort things out….a process which was exacerbated by a 2-day public holiday in China, and an out-of-date Download Manager provided on the disc that came with the unit.

I couldn’t fault the local customer support, but I was fairly peeved by the obvious lack of basic QC at the factory.
    In fairness, the Chinese connection acted quickly to address the issue once they were back at work.

At the end of the process, the unit finally looks like this:

I’ve selected the Holden application on the unit, and it seems to be asking all the right questions for vehicle set-up, but I haven’t plugged it into the vehicle yet. Been doing a crash course in OBD2, courtesy of Dr. Google, so I have some half-arsed idea of what it is I’m doing, and seeing, when I finally get the courage to fire it up.

This is the Fuel Economy Solutions website listing of the device (they also have it listed on eBay).

Just down from “Some of Holden cars covered” heading, you’ll see a link “Holden OBD II Function List”……that brings up a very detailed list of all the model Holdens and their functions covered by the tool.

You’ll notice in the short list above that, the VE series is covered by the tool.

If you have any doubts, a quick call to Hilmi (03 83758900) will sort things out.

I will hook up to the vehicle soon, and I’ll report back…….assuming I understand what I’m looking at

Incidentally, the tool itself is as good a piece of Chinese kit as I’ve bought for a while, case is robust, display is crisp, and the buttons have a good tactile feel to them. And the manual is in quite passable English….although, as with most of these manuals, it assumes that you know what you are doing and why you bought the thing in the first place

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

enf (08-06-17),lsemmens (08-06-17)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thats cool TD...I'll wait to see how it goes, but with that kind of support I can't see how it will fail in the end.

Really useful phone number....

Thanks

Better late than never, so it is said.

Finally got around to plugging into the Colorado.....courtesy of the crap Victorian weather which precludes doing just about anything else.

Everything seems to work fine......using the "Holden" option, the Foxwell returns ECU data on Engine, Auto Xmission, Immobiliser, ABS, and Airbags.

A “Read Codes” command on each returns a “Pass…no codes detected”.

Running the vanilla OBDII program also returns data, the significance of which is a bit beyond my pay level at the moment.

First thing the Holden software asks for is year and model,,,,both from pre-installed lists. A scan of the Engine ECU then displays the VIN, amongst other stuff.

Enf, the first entry displayed on the Holden Models list is “VE and WM”, so seems you would be covered.

As with much of this multi-purposed gear, the menus initially presented bear only a passing similarity to those in the manual.

I’ve saved all the individual ECU data, but can’t find, on the device, the menu option shown in the manual which allows you to Save and subsequently Select the vehicle. I’ll get onto Foxwell about that.

At this stage, though, it seems to do what it is supposed to do.

Guess I won’t really know until the day that something finally blows up

enf (18-07-17)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

At least you've given yourself the best chance...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Well, well...I haven't done anything about this.

I had an error yesterday that killed the engines power and left me in limp mode. Pulled out the el cheapo ELM OBD2 plug and it worked. Installed an app called Torque Pro Lite on the phone and was able to pull the code straight away.

The internet did the rest....

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

checkitout (21-07-19),gulliver (26-07-17)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast