Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which OBD2 scanner?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Good stuff, what was the code/problem ?

Premium Member
    Thanks

I had the same thing happen to me.I had a HUD pluged in and after about 5 starts I lost the power and crawled home.Iunpluged the HUD and averything was back to normal.I contacted the manufacturer and was told this unit is not suited for my VZ commodore. No refund from the supplier.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,962 Times in 9,059 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Good stuff, what was the code/problem ?
    Its a Comodore VE SS. Code was P2138 --- Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 1-2 Correlation

This morning I noticed an odor of petrol on cold startup, which would correlate. Apparently other VE owners have had this issue around 115,000K. Mine is 118,000. After I reset the error it hasn't happened since but I'm getting it looked at tomorrow. The last thing I want to happen is to go into limp mode as I'm passing a truck....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (26-07-17)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Turns out it was the sensor under the accelerator. Of course its all an integrated unit I had to pay for a new assembly from Holden.

Extra $$$$, but that's just the way of the world these days. BUT, I have a new pedal....whoopie f*cking ding!

Still, the point is these OBD2 readers are worth having just to give you an idea. That way someone can question the mechanic when they are told they need a new flux capacitor....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

checkitout (21-07-19),loanrangiel (26-07-19),Thala Dan (28-07-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Turns out it was the sensor under the accelerator. Of course its all an integrated unit I had to pay for a new assembly from Holden.

Extra $$$$, but that's just the way of the world these days. BUT, I have a new pedal....whoopie f*cking ding!

Still, the point is these OBD2 readers are worth having just to give you an idea. That way someone can question the mechanic when they are told they need a new flux capacitor....
    Look on the bright side.........with a new accelerator pedal it just might go faster

I Googled the relevant code when you first posted and, among others, found this site which has a very simple explanation of the mechanics behind, and the nature of, that code, among others:

Learned something I never knew before (which covers most of modern automotive technology) just by knowing the code.

As you say....a very handy little device to have around.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

ammlione (28-07-17),enf (28-07-17),joezep (28-07-17),wal1 (28-07-17)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thats a super useful site TD...good one.

Thanks

A friend of mine speaks highly of this cheap dongle-style scan tool. He uses it for BMW and Mercedes.

The downside is that you purchase each individual manufacturer separately. It comes with 2 manufacturers installed of your choosing.

The upside is that it will talk to ALL the control units - Drive, Chassis, and Body, so long as it provides a communication protocol with the factory scanner itself.

I'm considering purchasing one myself.

Thanks

Default Foxwell for Colorado

Have been following your excellent research, much appreciated. I have the same model Colorado. I found the function list on fuel economy solutions web site a bit scrappy. Would be interested to know if you have any updates on using the NT510. Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Have been following your excellent research, much appreciated. I have the same model Colorado. I found the function list on fuel economy solutions web site a bit scrappy. Would be interested to know if you have any updates on using the NT510. Cheers
    Sorry, Chris.......haven't done any further work with the unit since that reported in my post #18.

I don't expect to do anything further with it until that fateful day when the dreaded "Check Engine" light comes on.

We do a bit of trout-hunting in the Victorian Alpine region, and the NT510 just rattles around in the back of the ute just in case we get that red light when we're out the back of woop-woop somewhere, and need to know whether it's safe to try and make it back home.

The results I outlined in post #18 indicate to me that it will be up to the job when required.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Well, well...I haven't done anything about this.

I had an error yesterday that killed the engines power and left me in limp mode. Pulled out the el cheapo ELM OBD2 plug and it worked. Installed an app called Torque Pro Lite on the phone and was able to pull the code straight away.

The internet did the rest....
    Hi enf, very interesting, I had the same problem yesterday ...some error came up on my WN Caprice killed the engines power and put the car in limp mode. Unfortunately I have not been able to read the error code at the time or since (assuming it has not auto cleared it self out) - the car may have since cleared the error on it's own ... now getting the car to the mechanic to see if he can pull an exact meaningful code, I have not been able to read anything using a Autel Maxscan GS500 on my own

Premium Member
    Thanks

As it has been nearly 2 years since the last post on "Which OBD2 Scanner" are there any updates or feedback on what currently is a good one ... at least from experience?

I have posted also here for "Which OBD2 Reader to get" yesterday, apologies admin if I have doubled up here
    Last edited by checkitout; 22-07-19 at 09:48 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Got the car to the mechanic today - he managed to extract code P0300 .... engine cylinders misfiring ... I am told the auto reduced power and limp mode coming into play is a self protect thing for the engine in this case

The spark plugs were then changed and problem now fixed (which were due for a change as well) the mechanic advised he did not change these on the service a few weeks back as he thought they would be OK... ... goes to show to go strictly by the book to be safe

I am happy that there is a cause and reason for what happened - an intermittent problem coming and going, limp mode issues would drive me nuts

Still looking to buy a good code reader regardless, any recommendations?

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by checkitout View Post
    Got the car to the mechanic today - he managed to extract code P0300 .... engine cylinders misfiring ... I am told the auto reduced power and limp mode coming into play is a self protect thing for the engine in this case

The spark plugs were then changed and problem now fixed (which were due for a change as well) the mechanic advised he did not change these on the service a few weeks back as he thought they would be OK... ... goes to show to go strictly by the book to be safe

I am happy that there is a cause and reason for what happened - an intermittent problem coming and going, limp mode issues would drive me nuts

Still looking to buy a good code reader regardless, any recommendations?
    Get one to suit you car.
    For Holden VE and VF I use Software on ELM Street with a ELM 327 cable. Funny thing is with all the code stuff for cars My Sons WH 2002 Statesman had a Issue and Software on ELM Street wont read it as The 3.8 Ltr Statesman needs a ALDI Cable so I had to rely on the engine Light to blink at me so after I shorted out pin 5 and 6 turned the Ignition on and I got 10:56 so what in a hell was that. After Googling I found that 10 blinks is the Number 0 so the code was 0506 which is the Idle Control Valve. replaced it and all is ok.
    I always recommend for a owner on any car to learn how to read the codes either using the method I used for the Statesman or get a program with the cable.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

checkitout (24-07-19),VroomVroom (25-07-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

After some looking and thinking I have now ordered the Foxwell NT630 unit, this will go into the car tool box, I bet now that I have this I will never get any more alarms

Totally appreciate the feedback especially re using the ELM327 connected directly to laptop and using upgradeable software. For me anyway it will be an issue in the future when the laptop is changed goes missing and software also not kept updated.

Thanks for feedback, great to get some exposure and experience with this

• 27-07-20, 06:10 PM

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12