Thread: # F Type sockets on wall plate - Old Austar?

Thanks

Default # F Type sockets on wall plate - Old Austar?

Hello All

Moved into a house..built 2004/5, has an old dish on the roof...and a wall plate with 3 F Type Screw in connectors....the wall plate has a faded 'Austar' Logo.

Any help with understanding what set up I might actually have would be most appreciated.
    Is it likely the LNB is going to work with the current KU satellites? Is it possible to see other channels with a 65cm dish? - Gold Coast situ...Maybe I can assume it is pointed at C1/D3...are there any international FTA news channels on this bird.?

Down the track I would like to see if it possible to view FTA channels especially news channels with adding H-H mount ..is this possible with a 65cm dish ..and maybe replacing dish with a 90cm...max size local council would allow.

What is the best allround receiver atm ? Ive see Freesat, Openbox, Xcruiser etc...

Lastly for C band and another day.. has anyone located a larger dish on a movable platform...not located in ground nor part of the house structure.....had wondered if doing so would work for council regulations

Thanks in advance

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jinott View Post
    Moved into a house..built 2004/5, has an old dish on the roof...and a wall plate with 3 F Type Screw in connectors....the wall plate has a faded 'Austar' Logo.

Any help with understanding what set up I might actually have would be most appreciated.
    Is it likely the LNB is going to work with the current KU satellites? Is it possible to see other channels with a 65cm dish? - Gold Coast situ...Maybe I can assume it is pointed at C1/D3...are there any international FTA news channels on this bird.?
    The three connectors are most likely two from the dish LNB and the other from the terrestrial TV antenna.
    How do you presently have your FTA antenna connected to your TV?
    The dish would have been pointed to Optus C1/D3 for Foxtel, so if it hasn't been moved since, it should still be pointed at those sats.
    The LNB should be suitable.
    Have a look at for what's on those sats.
    Aljazeera is a FTA news channel.

Down the track I would like to see if it possible to view FTA channels especially news channels with adding H-H mount ..is this possible with a 65cm dish ..and maybe replacing dish with a 90cm...max size local council would allow.
    Not many FTA news channels on Ku.
    Not worth spending money on an H-H motor in my opinion, but yes, a 65cm dish is OK.
    You often have physical clearance problems with a 90cm dish on a H-H motor.

What is the best allround receiver atm ? Ive see Freesat, Openbox, Xcruiser etc...
    All depends on exactly what you want to do with a decoder... recording, multi-tuners, etc.
    Any HD Mpeg4 receiver is fine for all basic functions.

Lastly for C band and another day.. has anyone located a larger dish on a movable platform...not located in ground nor part of the house structure.....had wondered if doing so would work for council regulations
    Not sure what you mean by 'movable platform' as a C-band dish needs to be firmly mounted either on the ground or on a building. If you put a dish on something 'movable' if it moves, the dish will lose alignment.
    Council regulations vary greatly depending which council you come under. You will need to obtain that info direct from your council.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

jinott (22-05-17)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Russia Today (RT English), France 24 and Euronews are free-to-air on Intelsat 19 at 166 degrees east.

Russian Today (RT English) is also available FTA (free to air) on Optus D2 at 152 degrees east longitude.

Euronews and France 24 are excellent news services offering a continuous coverage of world news.

A 65cm dish should be O.K. in the eastern states as well as South Australia (although I prefer a 90cm dish for Ku-band), but I don't know about W.A.

Further details at lyngsat.com. Choose the Asia & Pacific region.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

jinott (22-05-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

I second Tristens comments regarding RT, France 24, and Euronews.

All have excellent news services, current affairs coverage, and documentaries.

The missus and I watch them every lunch time after we’ve watched the first 10 minutes of the toy news on the ABC.

Press TV (Iran) is also on D2, and has some surprisingly interesting programs and news as well.

Personally don’t have much time for 65cm dishes…..90cm is way better, particularly with DVB-S2 channels like those mentioned by Tristen.
    90’s are much better for rain fade…..something you are likely to encounter on the Gold Coast.

Given that there’s only a couple of satellites of interest on Ku (that’s assuming you’re only interested in English services), I think you’d be better off with the 65cm pointed at D2, and get a 90cm for IS19, and bring them both in to your receiver via a Diseqc switch.

You could also possibly add a second LNB to the 65 (a bit tricky space-wise) and bring in C1 on the same dish to access Al Jazeera.
    Note: this exercise would be way easier with a 90cm dish.

You can ground-mount the Ku dishes (providing you have clear line-of-sight) which basically puts them out-of-sight-out-of-mind from a council perspective.

The Diseqc switch has the advantage of being technically simpler than the H_H motor, and gives you instant switching between channels, as opposed to waiting for the damn motor to relocate the dish.
    With a 4-way Diseqc switch you can bring in four different LNB’s to a single receiver with instant switching between them.

I don’t know anything about the Openbox or XCruiser (other than what I’ve read on this forum) but I would strongly recommend that, if you are a beginner in this game, steer clear of the Freesat boxes.

They work (after a fashion) but are a long way from bug-free………nothing fatal, but the type of bugs that could send a beginner round the twist, and create a very unfavourable impression of the hobby.

To begin with I’d stick with the type of box that works “straight out of the box”….in that regard I can recommend Strong….have used the SRT4930 and SRT4922A for years now….five boxes in all….never a problem, and easy and intuitive to use.

I’ve got a couple of 4930’s here that I’ve been going to list for sale on this forum for ages (I have trouble parting with equipment )
    Will probably get around to it soon, but if you’re interested in the meantime, drop me a PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

jinott (22-05-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    The three connectors are most likely two from the dish LNB and the other from the terrestrial TV antenna.
    How do you presently have your FTA antenna connected to your TV?
    Thankyou mtv for your reply!
    FTA has a seperate TV coax wall plate..so not sure why Ive got 3 F Types on the Austar wall plate...! I will take it off and see if any connections at the back of the wall plate

Council regulations vary greatly depending which council you come under. You will need to obtain that info direct from your council.
    The council here in the Gold Coast recently lost a court case ... a mesh Satellite Dish over 900mm in Size was installed on a building..height 3metres. The Court decided that it was ok...! because...even though the dish was over the regulation size of 900mm...its installed height was under 3metres...according to the judge this meant it was exempt from being classed as a 10(b) 'Structure' assessable development.

Relevant wording:
    Item 1 of schedule 2 of the building regulation relevantly provides for exempt development
    as follows:
    “Work for particular class 10b structures or special structures...
    Building work for a class 10b structure or special structure is
    prescribed if—
    (a) the structure is not—
    (i) a fence; or
    (ii) a retaining wall; or
    (iii) a freestanding wall; or
    (iv) a swimming pool; and
    (b) the structure is no higher than 3m above its natural ground
    surface

The satellite dish was not one of the excepted structures in paragraph (a). The issue is
    whether it was no higher than 3 metres above its natural ground surface as prescribed in
    paragraph (b).
    [64] As indicated by the examples given, the provision is more apt for structures installed on the
    ground and not those attached to any building or structure. In either event, in my view the
    reference to “its natural ground surface” is not a reference to the actual ground surface.
    Instead the use of the word “its” requires consideration of the base surface of the structure
    designed to sit on the natural ground. Using this construction, the relevant height dimension
    is the measurement from the dish’s base to its tallest element. I assess this measurement as
    being no higher than 2 metres.
    [65] Having satisfied the prescription of exempt development in Item 1 of Schedule 2, I conclude
    that the satellite dish was not assessable development.
    Last edited by jinott; 23-05-17 at 11:02 AM.

Thanks

3 F conectors on a wall plate can often be 1 for satellite one for terrestrial and a 3rd as back feed (e.g analogue modulated rf channel) to other outlets.

• The Following User Says Thank You to apsattv For This Useful Post:

jinott (24-05-17)

Thanks

Updating the thread: been gifted a strong 4922B+ reciever (SW Version 1.15) ...tested setup and working... the current dish is pointed at C1/D3 ..picked up Al Jazeera..and also surprised to see some ABC channels in the clear on this Bird.

Going to see if I can pick up another dish/LNB to test and tune into Intelsat 19 and D2...will see what I can pick up from lower down nearer the ground...there are some trees around but its close... would be easier than trying to climb up onto the 6m+ roof where the current Dish is located..getting too old for that!

• The Following User Says Thank You to jinott For This Useful Post:

gulliver (10-06-17)