Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Government Led Replacement Program

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default Government Led Replacement Program

Not sure what the scheme is called exactly.
    But i just had a client call me, some business wants to come and swap out all his High Bay lights for new LED High Bay lights.

I knew this kind of operation has been going on in Domestic Homes, and from what i have seen, they just use those horrible retro fit LED lamps in existing Low Voltage downlight fittings, with what ever running gear they came with.
    Less than ideal.

But this is a Business Scheme now
    My friend has a Manufacturing Factory (well, a big shed)
    And this crowd are coming to replace all his 400Watt High Bay lights with brand new LED High Bay lights
    (The only catch, is the Scheme only works up to 100Watt LED High Bays for Free Replacement)

Where a 400Watt MH is more like a 150Watt LED High Bay (although this is not a constant, as technology become more efficient)

But anyway, my client has assured me, this guy is coming Monday and he has offered to replace every old tech High Bay light with a new LED version.

Some questions that came to mind:

1. My client has 40 High Bay lights (apparently there is no limit)
    2. Does the existing High Bay lights have to be in working order to be replaced?
    3. What if the lights have been replaced 1 for 1, yet the lumen level has been decreased on the workshop floor?

Anyone else heard about this?
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks

High Bay Light Fittings to be used are these:

I am not sure what the cost of these lights would be, as they look like a "No Name" China import
    A Phillips 120 Watt LED High Bay is around $330 AUD
    So lets say these Chinese LED High Bays are $200ea. 200 x 40 = $8000 in Light Fittings for FREE??
    Then installation on top of that???
    And they take your old fittings away (no no tip fees)

Is this where our Taxes go?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 01-06-17 at 03:03 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,650 Posts

Wasn't it only about 10 years ago they had a similar replacement scheme from incandescent globes to fluoro??
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member

Thanks

The power of small persistent lobby groups
    Incandescent bulb = 80 cents (Now outlawed but only in Australia the rest of the world still uses them)
    Fluoro bulb = $ 6.99 (Nightmare devices that contain mercury vapor. If you break one get out of the house)
    LED Bulbs = $10.00 each + (Bet these are soon all that is available by law)
    See where this is heading. Save f**k all power but a light bulb costs a motza and the lobby group all retire to
    The Bahamas where they can buy sensibly priced light globes.
    This is how politics works in this wonderful country
    Last edited by gamve; 02-06-17 at 08:55 AM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Wasn't it only about 10 years ago they had a similar replacement scheme from incandescent globes to fluoro??
    I never heard about that one, but would not be surprised at all.

As for Incandescent being banned, you can still buy them in Bunnings, there are everywhere
    Both Replacement Lamps and entire new fittings

Seems that ban only lasted 12 months
    It was literally impossible to implement the way i see it
    Far too many existing fittings take incandescent lamps.
    Took 10 years to roll out Digital TV, can't see them rolling out a completely new lighting format and banning the old in a hurry

My question would be, how much is this contractor making from changing 400Watt High Bay light to an LED High Bay ?
    (which may not even be the equivalent in light output)

Where do the old 400Watt High Bays go?
    Does he get to sell them on Bay?
    Does the new LED High Bay come with 12 months warranty?
    Does he supply a Cert of Elec Safety?

Whole things seems like a "Insulation Scheme" for 2017

Anyway, come Monday, we will all find out
    Last edited by ol' boy; 02-06-17 at 11:16 AM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

I've still got an old incandescent globe in the ablution block at work.....
    Been waiting for it to blow....

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

Incandescents, IIRC are about the only thin that will work in refrigerators,
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member

Thanks

...."Incandescents, IIRC are about the only thin that will work in refrigerators"....

Why's that?
    All the 'globes' in our fridge are LED's...

LSemmens
    Thanks

Come to think of it, you are right, I forgot LEDs, I was thinking of fluoros that were the only prevalent alternative a few years back.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

I hated the compact fluoros. They failed a lot, base could burn, created huge RFI, took ages to get bright, dangerous things not suited for the kids rooms... good riddance.

Some of my LEDs would be now over 6 years old and are still working. Others replaced by more modern somewhat brighter ones.
    Had only a few cheap duds. Can't resist trying everything out and they still are good for the garden where I don't want it too bright in the night.
    The cheap 12V duds actually use less power, advertised as 6W use only 2W so still efficient and perfect for the little 12V outdoor battery battery system.

Using anything other than LED makes no sense these days but the quality must be ensured at least for industrial lighting.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Not sure what the scheme is called exactly.
    But i just had a client call me, some business wants to come and swap out all his High Bay lights for new LED High Bay lights.

I knew this kind of operation has been going on in Domestic Homes, and from what i have seen, they just use those horrible retro fit LED lamps in existing Low Voltage downlight fittings, with what ever running gear they came with.
    Less than ideal.

But this is a Business Scheme now
    My friend has a Manufacturing Factory (well, a big shed)
    And this crowd are coming to replace all his 400Watt High Bay lights with brand new LED High Bay lights
    (The only catch, is the Scheme only works up to 100Watt LED High Bays for Free Replacement)

Where a 400Watt MH is more like a 150Watt LED High Bay (although this is not a constant, as technology become more efficient)

But anyway, my client has assured me, this guy is coming Monday and he has offered to replace every old tech High Bay light with a new LED version.

Some questions that came to mind:

1. My client has 40 High Bay lights (apparently there is no limit)
    2. Does the existing High Bay lights have to be in working order to be replaced?
    3. What if the lights have been replaced 1 for 1, yet the lumen level has been decreased on the workshop floor?

Anyone else heard about this?
    Info about the Vic scheme . I know the SA one required old lights to be taken back and recycled.
    100W sounds low for a 400w replacement, you can get 150W LED for around $200 each now.
    Add a little more and they have a daylight and movement sensor that work quite well!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default Update

Sorry, i forgot to get back here.

The LED Company made a visit to my friends Workshop and the Monday.
    It was just a preliminary inspection.

Not only will they change out all the 400Watt MV High Bays for LED High Bays, they are also proposing to swap out all his Fluorescent lights for LED tubes and all his outside security lighting for LEDs

So, 2 Options were given to my friend:

1: Replace all High Bays, All Fluoros, All Security Lights with LED options
    2: Same as above, but use High Bay LEDs with motion sensors so they dim down if no motion is detected in that area.

All for No Cost

But wait!!!!!!

Then the visiting LED company said, "All works must be carried out by our Electrician, a Safety Cert will be supplied, but as your ceiling is so high, and you don't own a scissor lift, our Electrician my not want to do the work"

Ummmmm what???? You are a company going around targeting Business's, Factories, High Bay lights especially....
    High Bay lights are normally... well, High

He then went on to say, as you live so far away (from Melbourne) we might want more jobs in the area to make it worth our while.
    He also said, you would have to pay for the cost of the Scissor lift or Small Boom.

Sounds like another half assed Government Scheme to me
    Last edited by ol' boy; 13-06-17 at 11:09 AM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

A similar thing happened to me.The local Post Office asked me to change over their twin 36 watt Troffer fittings to LED fittings.So I gave them a quote.A fewdays later she rang me and told me ,some people from the Government came,saying they do it for free..
    I said,ok. A few weeks later I asked ,whats happening.Oh, they are waiting for supply.
    To make it short, 9 months later,I got the job.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gulliver For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (14-06-17)

• 17-02-20, 06:23 PM

Premium Member
    Thanks

As this popped back up.

I can add, that my friend did get his workshop done, by another company.
    As said above, they replaced all the non working Hi Bay lights too (we hung up any old crap we could find).

The outcome was less light in his workshop than with the previous hi bay's.

Yes, you can buy lumen for lumen equivalents, but they don't... they buy and provide as cheap a LED Hi Bay as they can.

Interesting this thread popped back up
    I just went to an old clients job
    He wants his 90 x 50watt halogen surface lights replaced with LED.

His ceilings are 6 to 8 meters high in places
    It will be a real prick of a job, even with scaffold.

I told him about the Gov Scheme...
    I'd love to see their faces when they come to swap out bulbs!!!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

gulliver (18-02-20),VroomVroom (18-02-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Had a few things in the letterbox about replacing all the incandescents with LED.
    As mentioned, they are only the shit bulbs in the same fittings BUT, you can pay to have them all upgraded to the surface mount current tech lights.... although they are still first generation looking low powered things.

I replaced nearly all the lights last year when the local bunnings was having a massive sale on all the traditional type 60W style Bulbs. Was buying twin packs of LED Phillips bulbs for $2 so I loaded up on the things. Bought bundles of screw and bayonet fitting because we now have the stupid US type bulbs foisted on us like every other damn thing here we have to tolerate in the United states of Australia.

The only halogens left are Gu 10's out on the back patio. 16 of them. The LED versions are not cheap and weren't being given away with the others. Quick calculation showed the less than one Kwh they would use when all switched on, ( rare, they are too bright) would cost less than 29 cents an hour to run. As they would be lucky to come near being run 10 min a week on average, the $8 a bulb they cost would never be repaid unless I live to 150 years old and am still living here. Not likley.
    Add to the fact I cancel about 90% of my electric usage with my solar ( got to let them have something to keep them from getting too sus) There is no way in hell they are worth changing to save power whether a person had solar or not.

Funny enough, Bunny's did have the GU10 halogens on sale for $1 ea so I picked up a supply of them to replace any that do blow.
    Fact of the matter is, I have them shining up into the pitched roof and they give a really nice light that is warm and pleasing especially when entertaining. I very much like the colour temperature of the light they give as well as the quality of the light. Contrasty from the bulb but soft and diffused from bouncing back off the roof panels.

I'm happy to pay .02C more an hour for that when we do have a gathering and entertain every so often.

Whoever mandated those Compact fluros ought to be hog tied and left on a bull ants nest for a week. What hideous things they were.

I'm also wondering if I have developed some sort of sensitivity to Fluro Tubes when used En masse? Seems when ever I go to the shopping centre , after an hour or so I feel like crap. It's not boredom following the Mrs round, ( or not just that) it's something else and I'm wondering if its the endless rows of fluros so many places, especially supermarkets still have.
    I well know they flicker and have weird arse colour temperature no matter what they are supposed to be and I only seem to get this feeling in these places with the endless fluro Tubes Lighting the place up with their stark flat lighting.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    I've still got an old incandescent globe in the ablution block at work.....
    Been waiting for it to blow....

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk
    We had one on the front of our old temporary dwelling, that lasted over 20 years... don't hold your breath.. LOL

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

The thread was resurrected by a spammer from India... which is a long way from Victoria where he said he lived.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

gulliver (18-02-20),hinekadon (18-02-20),lsemmens (17-02-20),ol' boy (17-02-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

I had my factory/warehouse i bought done a few months ago.

I had 8 X 400W Lights replaced with 8 X 100W LED that auto dim to 50W if they sense no one is moving in the area. (4 rings of leds drop to 2 rings)

They supplied the scissor lift, light is MUCH better, also the old 400watt ones would take a while to warm up to get light, then if you switched them off and back on again sometime you would wait 5 or so minutes till they turned on again.

Big improvement in operation and light levels with the LEDs. (and cost savings)

• The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (29-02-20)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

They don't make them like the used too, thank god
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

• The Following User Says Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

Tiny (02-03-20)

LSemmens
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    They don't make them like the used too, thank god
    page not found

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast