Thread: Fixed Garmin Nuvi 44LM after bad update caused restart loop (Logo>"loading maps">Logo

Thanks

Default Fixed Garmin Nuvi 44LM after bad update caused restart loop (Logo>"loading maps">Logo

I'm posting this to help others who have run into the same problem. If it works for you, it's a much easier solution than the "easy" unbricking with GarminCure3 or anything else I found.

I caused my problem by reflexively putting my computer to sleep while my GPS was in the middle of a maps update, which I had initiated with Garmin Express.

Symptoms: If I turned my Nuvi on when not connected to the computer, it would show the Garmin logo, then show "loading maps," then re-start, show the logo, then show "loading maps," ad infinitum. If it was plugged into a USB power source, it would always want to be on, going through that loop. When I connected it to my computer by USB, the computer would not "see" the device. Even when I went through pressing the corner of the screen, then turning it on, etc., the best I would get was the white calibration screen.

Solution: I left the GPS plugged into a USB power source. (I don't know if it helped, but I ended up using a 2.1 Amp USB AC adapter instead of a low-power one.) The unit went through the looping for *hours* and then appeared to boot properly. It showed the screen with "Where To" and "View Map" and stopped looping. But it still didn't work! And restarting it returned it to the frigging loop.

However, after leaving it plugged in again for another very long time (overnight), it looped for a long time, but by morning it had returned to the proper "Where To" screen. This time I didn't turn it off but instead plugged it into the computer's USB port, and the computer saw it and so did Garmin Express. It showed I was up-to-date and did nothing automatically, but I went to the Map Update lower in the window and ran that. And it worked.

One other thing I did might have helped, but maybe it was a step that did nothing. At one point, before updating the maps, when I was able to connect via USB, I used Garmin's WebUpdater, then searched the drive where the unit was for GarminDevice.xml. Searching found that file even though it was in the System folder of the GPS, which was hidden (it was the .system folder). I edited GarminDevice.xml to turn the line <SoftwareVersion>400</SoftwareVersion> into <SoftwareVersion>350</SoftwareVersion> [Garmin Express had said I was using System 4.00 when it refused to update the unit. I chose 350 as an arbitrary version number that was lower than 400.]. After doing that, I was able to get Garmin Express (or WebUpdater? I don't recall which) to treat the unit as *not* up-to-date, and it reinstalled software. (I don't know if this was a necessary part of the solution, however, because the unit again went into the looping-restarting problem; but it was after this that, as I explained above, I used the Garmin Express program to update the Maps, which resulted in a fixed GPS.)

The main point of this post is that before doing something more complicated, try leaving your Garmin Nuvi plugged into a power source for HOURS (even while it won't turn off and goes again and again through the Logo-LoadingMaps loop). You may find, like I did, that this allows you to connect the unit to the computer and be seen and fix the problem with the standard Garmin software on your PC.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to panspemia For This Useful Post:

Surething (16-07-17),Tiny (03-06-17),tristen (03-06-17)

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,649 Posts

Cool! Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Yes, thank you for sharing your solution to the problem you were experiencing...and Welcome to the Austech forum, panspemia.

Very few newcomers go to the trouble to post such a detailed explanation of a problem and its solution.

Well done!

Thanks

Nice first post panspemia. Although that method of leaving the device on extended charge will sometimes allow the device to eventually boot, it only works if the device is in a bootloop [not stuck on a static boot screen] and also the rest of your fix only is applicable if the problem is a corrupt map image where it actually shows 'Loading maps' on the logo screen then reboots indefinitely. Any other type of partial bricking needs to be addressed with modified firmware to bypass the usual suspect files [.img, .gpi, .vpm etc.] and the simplest way to modify the fw is with GarminCure3. However, you can use QuickCure3 in some cases, it doesn't use the original firmware at all but relies on a copy of the bootloader being found in the device memory to work and mostly it can find that. QuickCure3 is more likely to work in a case like your nuvi's corrupt map because it allows the bricked device to be very quickly accessed in Mass Storage Mode so the offending file can simply be deleted using Windows tools.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Surething For This Useful Post:

Tiny (16-07-17)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

well crap my old 1490 just went into a boot loop after updating the SW with Garmin WebUpdater.
    Everything went fine with my 2597, WTF?
    Looks like we are going to be forced to use Garmin Express.
    Anyway have it on usb power in constant restart loop, will see how it goes.
    I only did this due to it freezing on me for five minutes in the city the other day.

EDIT: well that was quick I made an executive decision & I removed my SD card that had a couple of large maps on it, then it went into install of downloaded SW, completed & all good.
    Maybe my card was holding it up from the SW update install??
    Last edited by Tiny; 23-05-18 at 07:04 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Thanks

Hi Tiny. Maybe one of your maps on the microSD having a minor corruption, is another possibility. That's a good reason to have 'unofficial' maps on the card, because if they do cause a problem removing the card fixes it. Quite different to a faulty map or other file in the internal memory which requires cure firmware to be loaded in preboot to get rid of the faulty file. The test will be when you boot again with the card in of course. If it boots normally, then the problem was with having the card inserted when you used GarminExpress. Best not to have a card in, unless when doing a map update GE asks you to insert one because of lack of space internally.

I'd be curious to hear which problem it was if you can be bothered posting again mate. Cheers.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Put the card back in, it boots just fine & the 2 Topo maps work fine.

I'm actually surprised that there was an update for the old one anyway.
    Last edited by Tiny; 24-05-18 at 02:10 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

For the old 14xx you mean i guess. Actually last update was nearly 3 yrs ago, V6.30:
    Code:
    https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4551
    You've been a tad slack champ.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Surething View Post
    For the old 14xx you mean i guess. Actually last update was nearly 3 yrs ago, V6.30:
    Code:
    https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4551
    You've been a tad slack champ.
    Yeah hadn't bothered with SW for 1490, just maps.
    Actually my maps were a year out of date as well, I have been slack.
    It was working fine so left as, however the other day I was navigating a part of Launceston I'm not familiar with & the speed display & voice direction froze even though the map was working & showing where to go, so I thought an update might prevent that from happening again.
    Failing that I would have done a hard reset.
    Last edited by Tiny; 25-05-18 at 10:23 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

Probably the map you were using when the device froze has a minor corruption. Check all the *.img files with gmaptool.
    Code:
    http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/gmaptool
    If the file loads without and error, click either 'Details' or 'Info' tab and check the log screen for errors.

If the maps are ok then do a hard reset or better still clear non-volatile memory. (Press 'Speed' field>Hold the centre of the Speedo for several seconds to enter the Diagnostics Page>Touch 'Developer Info>Touch 'Nonvol Avalilable'>Touch 'Clear Nonvol' at base of screen>Touch 'Yes'). Clearing nonvol is more comprehensive than a hard reset. Back up favourites heforehand of course if you want to restore later..

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

The one I was using was the one that was replaced after the SW update & boot loop, latest Nav Here.
    Yeah It could have been that as previous & present are downloaded unlocked maps, as no LM on my 1490.
    The 1490 being a Sensis map user from original could be a factor too?
    The Sensis map I have on it is 2016, so needs an update too.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

If you mean you have a Sensis CN in the internal memory and a Here CN on the card then make sure you only check one of those in 'Map Info' or you can get possible errors like freezing and confused navigation too.

All Garmin car navigators can use Sensis and Here CN maps equally well though, it being a Sensis OEM device would not be a cause if you only had the Here map selected.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Surething View Post
    If you mean you have a Sensis CN in the internal memory and a Here CN on the card then make sure you only check one of those in 'Map Info' or you can get possible errors like freezing and confused navigation too.

All Garmin car navigators can use Sensis and Here CN maps equally well though, it being a Sensis OEM device would not be a cause if you only had the Here map selected.
    yeah I only select one at a time.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

Then the likelihood is high that there's a minor corruption either in nonvol or in the map you were using. There is a little-known ability of nuvi devices to use some functions of a map img even when it's not selected. POIs for example and be searched and navigated to in many instances even though the source map isn't active. Removing the other map could work for you if that's the case, albeit unlikely.

If it happens again after clearing nonvol and checking the img file for errors with gmaptool there's always the possibility of an impending hardware failure i.e. the flash memory or even the processor getting dicky. You can try to recreate the error after clearing nonvol by putting the device into simulation mode and re-navigating the same route you drove in Launceston.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Surething For This Useful Post:

Tiny (27-05-18)