Thread: Facebook Connect

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Facebook Connect

I have enabled a couple of Facebook features.

Yes, I know many don't like Facebook. It doesnt affect you.

In a nutshell, the 2 enabled are :

Enable Facebook Platform
    Enabling this option will allow users to connect their vBulletin account with their Facebook account.

and

Like Button
    Enabling this option will make a "Like" button appear on all threads. Users will then be able to "Like" individual threads. Note: users do not have to have Facebook linked accounts to use this feature.

Cheers,
    Admin

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks

If you want to share a thread on your Facebook Timeline, click on the Share button at the top of a thread on the left hand side.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (08-06-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Has Facebook connect got anything to do with the major increase in Spam on the site?
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Has Facebook connect got anything to do with the major increase in Spam on the site?
    +1, I, too have noticed this.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,531 Posts

Dont know if its me, but i'm finding page load on the forum a little slower since this was added?

Administrator
    Thanks

No, its the same spam bot that has been here at least 4 times in the last 4 months. The reason you are seeing it is because I have been away in country Victoria and was lucky enough to have Telstra mistakenly disconnect my phone, which they then couldn't reconnect because they somehow put my number in the provisioning queue. I mostly haven't had internet access to deal with it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (09-06-17)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Dont know if its me, but i'm finding page load on the forum a little slower since this was added?
    Its you. Its fast.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    lucky enough to have Telstra mistakenly disconnect my phone, which they then couldn't reconnect because they somehow put my number in the provisioning queue. I mostly haven't had internet access to deal with it.
    I'd love to have heard the animated phone calls when that happened!
    Last edited by ol' boy; 09-06-17 at 05:33 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (09-06-17)

Administrator
    Thanks

I'd love to have heard the animated phones calls when that happened!
    Your not wrong. Look at this for a laugh......

Phone goes dead. I identify issue through S8's menu as it showed Sim card disconnected. I argued with an Indian for 45 minutes (on live chat connected through my wife's phones internet connection) who claimed that my sim card was active. The said Indian wanted me to verify my identity by sending me a text message with a code......despite my phone being disconnected ! Fark me they are dumb.

I wore him down, he then put me through to their technical guru who asked me to press some buttons which resulted in disconnecting the live chat session and resetting all connections on my phone....and removing the entire chat session.

I get on Mrs Admin's phone and ring them. Ask for the said technical guru. Indian woman asks why. Just get him. No, you have to tell me why. Tell the whole bloody storey again. She says no good talking to him, it cant be fixed. I demand supervisor, she refuses. I advise her a serious complaint is coming her way, so she has a change of mind.

Supervisor on line...tries to fix it but cant. Tells me to go to a Telstra shop next morning and get a blank sim card and ring them back so they can activate it for me.

Send Mrs Admin to telstra shop. Telstra shop advises they will not give out blank sims and I have to go in there. Drive 40 mins to Telstra shop. Am here to have my number put on a blank sim. We dont do that. Well, who just told me you do ? Oi, you ! (passing employee). Did you tell me to come here in regards to blank sim ? Ummmm.....looks seriously worried....yeaaahhh.

Girl on desk - we cant do it because our system has been down for 2 days. WTF ???? Even if it was up, we couldnt do it because your number is stuck in provisioning.

I left....because I was getting an urge to launch Jihad on them. All the above people were rude, except for the supervisor and not a single person apologised (again bar the supervisor)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Bloody hell, id have lost my shit!!!

I must admit, ever since dropping Telstra like a hot potato 10 years ago, i have NEVER been happier, i have NEVER had to go through that crap again!
    Fantastic for the Blood Pressure.

Optus Pre Paid has been great
    Had to ring them 3 times in 6 years
    Had 2 SIM cards replaced (only because i thought they were wearing very thin)
    Both time in an Optus Shop, no questions asked, Free SIM every time, all with a smile.
    Last time the Optus Rep (Nice Blonde Dutch Girl) told me my SIM card is worth $1500... I said thank you

You got well and truly shafted there admin
    I have no idea how they could f'up that bad
    Reminds me of 10 years ago, its like bashing your head against a brick wall for 2 days.
    Ringing Telstra for help .... You might as well ring the local Day Care Centre and ask to speak to one of the kids.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 09-06-17 at 05:50 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

Optus are worse in my opinion (which is why I left them, though their poor coverage helped that decision), though its hard to top this particular incident which occurred simply because I upgraded my phone. I haven't had any major problems with Telstra bar this incident, but it's typical of almost every organisation that has sent its support offshore......unfortunately that is almost every company we deal with now as all offshore support simply read scripts to solve problems and if that fails they elevate it to the next department until it is solved. If your problem falls outside those parameters, that's when the big problems start.

I ended up having to buy a prepaid sim to fill in for a day and half, and was that pissed off I nearly bought an Optus one. Glad I asked a local first.... standing outside to use the internet would have been the cream on the cake as there is barely a signal. Realistically, the event reminded me that we are very reliant on the mobile network (all I use is data) and that I should have had a prepaid backup service which I now have.

Anyway, back to the topic, I installed the Facebook connect features just before I went away and have noticed that the Facebook Connect button isnt working. I will sort it out over the next few days. It doesnt affect sharing a thread to your Facebook timeline, just logging in with your Facebook details.