Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large Hadron Collider First Beam on, September 10.

Thanks

Default Large Hadron Collider First Beam on, September 10.

Today is the eve of the LHC first Beam on.
    The Large Hadron Collider is the largest and most complex scientific instrument ever built and the highest energy particle accelerator in the world.

Some idiots believe that this is a doomsday machine and will destroy the world, and are seeking a court injunction to stop tomorrows Beam on. Thankfuly their attempts have been thrown out of court.

Scientists can now search for the Higgs Boson known in some circles of thought as the God particle.
    Sextus Empiricus advises that we should suspend judgment about virtually all beliefs, that is, we should neither affirm any belief as true nor deny any belief as false.

Pyrrho stated that "nothing is in itself true or false. It only appears so. In the same way, nothing is in itself good or evil. It is only opinion, custom, law, which makes it so."

Look Here ->
    Thanks

yeah was reading about it yesterday,very interesting to see what comes from it and all the money spent

Thanks

For $6.6 Billion Australian dollars, I hope they find what they are looking for.
    Sextus Empiricus advises that we should suspend judgment about virtually all beliefs, that is, we should neither affirm any belief as true nor deny any belief as false.

Pyrrho stated that "nothing is in itself true or false. It only appears so. In the same way, nothing is in itself good or evil. It is only opinion, custom, law, which makes it so."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 391 Posts

I wonder how long we will have to wait until they confirm or otherwise the existence of the particle?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

I've got money on no higgs.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 707 Posts

There was a video doing the rounds a little while back featuring some of the CERN guys rapping about the LHC and the Higgs-Boson particle. My niece is doing her Masters in physics at MIT (yeah I know, she got the brains while I got the looks, okay?) and it had her in absolute stitches; dumbarse me only got about every fiftieth word. Has anyone got a link to the video so I can pretend I'm smart next time I see her??

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 707 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    I've got money on no higgs.
    I'm game. Five $2 lottery tix, Trash? 100% observed of course, no theoretical..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Don Benosee View Post
    There was a video doing the rounds a little while back featuring some of the CERN guys rapping about the LHC and the Higgs-Boson particle. My niece is doing her Masters in physics at MIT (yeah I know, she got the brains while I got the looks, okay?) and it had her in absolute stitches; dumbarse me only got about every fiftieth word. Has anyone got a link to the video so I can pretend I'm smart next time I see her??
    SBS-TV tonight - Tuesday 9th September 10:35 PM - The Six Billion Dollar Experiment.

Then at least you will know some of the terms !

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

FYI from the telly guide

Megastructures: Atom Smasher

9.30pm – 10.30pm

National Geographic channel

Tuesday 9 September 2008

The Large Hadron Collider is a titan of science. A monster of engineering, the biggest computer game in the world. We follow the construction as the final pieces of this megamachine are assembled. And we meet some of the characters at the heart of this amazing experiment: key players in the teams building the Atlas and CMS detectors - the biggest cameras in the world. Built on a previously unsurpassed scale, CMS and Atlas aim to capture the smallest particles in the known universe. And take pictures of what the universe was like billionths of a second after the Big Bang but can the scientists and engineers pull it off?

Thanks

On now. National Geographic channel.

Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Don Benosee View Post
    Has anyone got a link to the video so I can pretend I'm smart next time I see her??

Thanks

Lightbulb Place your bets

If they find Higgs, Quantum theory will be a step closer to unification.
    If they don't find Higgs, back to the drawing board.

Thanks

What happens if the nerdy types find what they seek ? There is no other possible work these theoretical scientists can do ! They will all have to go on the dole.........the end of their reason for existence !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bulbous View Post
    What happens if the nerdy types find what they seek ? There is no other possible work these theoretical scientists can do ! They will all have to go on the dole.........the end of their reason for existence !
    No way there is still so much we don't know. Physicists could resarch till the end of time. We still haven't discovered controled atomic fusion, anti gravity, teleportation, the possibilities are endless...

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Artilect View Post
    ...We still haven't discovered controlled atomic fusion...
    That is where 6.6billion in R&D would have been better spent... for the future of our planet.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

$6.6 Billion was well spent. It kept lots of people and industries in Europe and elsewhere in business. It made up a nice cheque in the first world economy.
    If we'd given it to the third world, they just would have eaten it and there would now be 6.6 billion more mouths to feed.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

Trash, it seems you missed my point
    Harnessing the near 'unlimited' energy that would be available to us from nuclear FUSION would solve immediately almost all the problems everybody is whinging about lately.
    No doubt the research and development would be coming from first world countries.

Don't get me wrong, 6.6G$ trying to prove the (non)existence of a theoretical something is still lot more useful than the far larger sums spent from first world countries developing and building weapons of mass destruction.

It is just a shame that 7000 elite scientists can't put their heads together, supported with a useful amount of money to figure out the long overdue controlled nuclear fusion.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

If they did figure out how to tap into an unlimited or abundant energy source such as fusion, they would not tell us about it until they'd figured out a way to charge for it in small increments and tax us on it as well.

My money is on this LHC thing creating a single atom sized stable black hole which would get suspended in a magnetic field and sold to countries as a portable nuclear waste disposal unit...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by biggeorge View Post
    If they did figure out how to tap into an unlimited or abundant energy source such as fusion, they would not tell us about it until they'd figured out a way to charge for it in small increments and tax us on it as well.

My money is on this LHC thing creating a single atom sized stable black hole which would get suspended in a magnetic field and sold to countries as a portable nuclear waste disposal unit...
    The purpose of the Large Hadron Collider is to study matter at an subatomic level in order to get a better understanding of how the universe functions. Its intention is not to make black holes, that was a supposition of what would happen if the hadron beam experiments went wrong.

As far as nuclear waste disposal, Black Holes emmit heaps more radiation in the form of neutrinos and gamma rays and possibly "Hawkins radiation"(theoretical) and would also warp spacetime which means your clocks would run slower whenever you got near the thing and you would endlessly have to be resetting your clock. You would also get thinner when you were near it I suppose sppagetification would also be a possibility.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    That is where 6.6billion in R&D would have been better spent... for the future of our planet.
    That is exactly where it has been spent nomeat, the LHC will help to develop the physics required to achieve, stable fusion, anti-gravity and teleportation. The LHC will contribute to all those things.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast