Thread: XP home with BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO error

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Unhappy XP home with BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO error

Hi austech-heads

Hopefully SOMEONE can help me with this one ...

I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 which only had 512M RAM. I acquired two 1G sticks of supposedly compatible RAM and did the swap. The system worked fine for a few startups but has thrown a number of blue screens of death, the latest being:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable any components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x00000074 (0x00000003, 0x00000002, 0x80088000, 0xc000014c)

... which I cannot resolve.

I have swapped the old memory back into the system, but cannot get past this error. I cannot boot from the Windows CD to do a windows repair. (I get to the screen to choose Repair, but when I select to repair c:\Windows I simply get dropped into the DOS prompt). When I try to boot into Safe Mode, it Blue Screen's during the loading of drivers but I can't see which it fails at (or which is the last that is successfully loaded).

HELP!!!

flashfletch
    Last edited by flashfletch; 09-09-08 at 10:48 PM. Reason: more info ...

2. Look Here ->
    Thanks

Double check you have put your original ram in correctly and in the correct slot, well try both slots, that stop message normally is to do with ram.

If you can get into the bios select default settings and save.

A google of the error message shows a couple strange occurrences that caused that error.... registry files set to read only or all the files in C:\WINDOWS\system32\config set to read only. You need to have a boot disk with ntfs capabilities to get into the drive to change this though, or know how to use the recovery console.

Thanks

With regards to the repair if you select repair using recovery console it does drop you to a dos like prompt where you need to enter commands see

You can do a repair install by skipping this first repair, past the licensing agreement and then do a repair install, you keep all your data etc, but need to install all updates again, see

Thanks

Thaks ssrattus

I'm currently doing a Dell diagnostic run on the windows blue screen tests. It's got to the HDD tests without a fail in memory so ... (I don't know)

When the testing is finished, I will try to repair options you have suggested.

Thanks. Here's hoping....

flashfletch

Thanks

Sadder and sadder!!

Diagnostics are showing up an error on the Read test for the HDD (Error Code 0F00:0244, Block 54318943 - Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected)

Looks like this thread should be in the Hardware forum instead ...? Must be a windows driver located at that block and that's why I'm Blue Screening (?).

Still waiting for the diagnostics to finish. I will keep the info updated.

flashfletch

Thanks

Also an error on the same block during the Verify test (not surprising).

?Time for a new HDD???

In the back of a 50 kW AM broadcast transmitter
    Thanks

What brand and size of hard drive is it?

Thanks

Hitachi Travelstar, model HTS548060M9AT00, 60G. (original Dell supplied new with machine).

All the data seems to be intact, aside from 1 block which appears to be involved with a windows driver - safe mode boot always dies during the loading of drivers, but I can't locate exactly which one as it goes to the BSOD to fast. I suspect that it could be toside.sys as M$ says this is often related to the error message that I am getting, but who knows.

I'm hoping that a careful repair of Windows will resolve the problem by putting a clean copy somehwere else on the HD, but I won't know until I try it later tonight.

Otherwise the big problem will be getting the data off the old drive and on to a new one ... I don't quite know how to hook a laptop drive up to a desktop machine

flashfletch

Thanks

I'd try the repair install in the link I gave, if it works get the data off and then test the hd again.

To hook a laptop drive to the desktop you need a laptop hd to ide adapter, ebay and many computer stores have them for a few dollars or you could get a laptop hd to usb adaptor and use it that way.

Thanks

Thanks everyone for advice/help. Turns out it is almost certainly a dodgy HDD. Had a Dell tech around for another machine (this one's out of warranty) and while he was waiting he talked me through the testing required and it got narrowed down to one dead block in the Windows area of the HD. Couldn't get any repair functions to work, so I guess that I'm just going to have to replace and rebuild. Fortunately I was able to get all the data off the HD.

Keep up the great work helping us tyros.

flashfletch