Thread: Wirelesss Remote Problem..?

Thanks

Default Wirelesss Remote Problem..?

Hey guy well i have a 3 Story Solid Brick House with the security panel in the middle level. The panel is a Crow Runner Series and i installed the Wireless Remote Reciever in the panel where it was ment to go.... now the prob is being a solid concrete 3 strory house the Remotes did not work outside.... so i moved the reciever to the garage and connected it to the Garage keypad bus and the remotes work fine can walk across the street and still work...... Untill you close the garage door (Made of Metal or what eva they are made of) and lose signal untill you get to the front gate but being wireless u want to be able to arm the Panel in your car look at the strobe flash and your sweet but cannot do this as the signal drops...

My question is is there anyway u can extensd the antenna or get a inline antenna booster or anything like that just need a few meteres more then it will work where we want it to

Thanx
    Robbo

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Welcome to the misery of wireless. Unless you have a receiver with a SMA connection, it will be hard to put an external antenna on it.

I have used Crow AERC811 1ch Receiver with relay output wired in as a keyswitch input. Allows me to run a 3m extension for the antenna, making it easy to mount the antenna outside and the receiver inside.

Thanks

Thats crow wireless for you, absolute garbage, tried it once and never again. Wouldn't pick up sensors in the lower storey with the panel upstairs.

Thanks

yeh i guess if i was was run an extension i may as well relocate the whole unit again.... up near a window or something so it can see outside so Crow is no good hey... what do you recommend for Domestic use that a good but cheap panel..?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bluebronco28 View Post
    yeh i guess if i was was run an extension i may as well relocate the whole unit again.... up near a window or something so it can see outside so Crow is no good hey... what do you recommend for Domestic use that a good but cheap panel..?
    Bosch 16+ are nice and easy to install, graphic lcd keypad looks great too. Kit's are relatively cheap.

Thanks

Ah, yes gentlemen the wonder wireless.

Rule 1. Hardwire whenever and wherever possible
    Rule 2. Filed test for coverage before installing equipment
    Rule 3. Only use commercial quality wireless equipment (that have wireless repeaters)

If you are going to use wireless equipment I have tried and tested the following
    Inovonics with NX or Tecom panels is brilliant! I have done homes, factories and a hospital with excellent results.
    Ademco Wireless systems are brilliant, I have done a 50 room mansion with 3 foot thick stone walls and 40 detectors and 3 wireless code pads (it hasn’t missed a beat in 5 years).

NOTE: Both of the above systems would probably not have the problems you are having and even if they did you could easily fix it by adding a wireless repeater which would address your coverage black spots (Not sure if Crow do a wireless repeater but you should ask).

I would suggest you revert back to Rule 2. Connect your wireless receiver to the panel via a long piece of cable and try the receiver in different locations around the building until you find a spot where everything works, you might find a roof space or cupboard that you can get a cable to.

Hope this helps?

Thanks

yeah first time doing a wireless and the rep we brought it off said it would work...:-S

so abit hard to run cables now being concrete and no cavitys he might have to have exposed conduit or something i will see if crow make a wireless repeater and go from there but yes the field testing would have been the go and or different panel see how it goes.
    Thanx..

Thanks

ok guys this is yet another crow Wireless Reciever that i have mounted outside 5M away from the drive way works fine when i test it can Arm / Disarm, Open Garage doors everything, as soon as i leave and a few days later it stops working i have gone back tried to straighten the antenna works then i leave and doesnt work i am running out of ideas on this.. or is it that Crow are just Crap

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bluebronco28 View Post
    Crow are just Crap
    Answered your own question there mate.

Thanks

As a last resort whilst the remote is not responding i sugest you kill off total house power at the switchboard and see if that makes a difference. If it fixs the problem then track down the source of the interference. There are a multitude of devices in the modern home today that cause interference. If this total power out has no effect on the system, cut your losses & trash the system and replace it with a better quality one.

ps....Chimp and rotor gave you the ultimate answer already.

Thanks

yeh might have to tell the boss to start using Bosh or something this is the 2nd time now and realy getting annoying as i dont have an answer to solve the problem thanx guys i guess for telling me Crow is crap lol

Thanks

If you have to get wireless use something like the inovonics equipment.
    With the programmer tool and a fa standalone receiver powered on a battery you can do a full site test before installation.

Thanks

Ok, Think i know what the problem is, after having to go back again to try get this thing to work i am pulling my hair out because as i said this thing is mounted outside and is suppose to have a 200M Radius on it to work, anyway seems though people with keyless entry on there cars have problems opening there car via the remote controls and have to stand practicaly next to them to open there car and seems though i dont have keyless entry to the van i had no idea untill he told me, so either someone is doing Ameteur radio or something causing a massive overload of RF then i dont know if wireless is going to work here.

I just installed another crow Wireless Receiver last week mouted in the panel 15M away from the drive way and it worked sweet,

Banned
    Thanks

You mentioned the antenna, how is it placed, did you extend it,
    is it straight horizontal or vertical...
    Is it up high, any metal interference, the power could be creating an electromagnetic field. EMF is Low-energy radiation that comes from the interaction of electric and magnetic fields. Sources include power lines, electric appliances, radio waves, microwaves, and others. Also called electromagnetic radiation.

Thanks

Default Radio

All radio gear has it's limitation and a good rule is "if it can be hardwired then don't use radio"

Too many other things use radio these days. I've been to jobs where the clients bluetooth transmitter would shut down the radio devices. I even swapped to another brand and still the same.
    The check in time by default is also usually pretty lousy (hours) which to me defeats the point. Im sure if the radio devices were truly effective then the default check in time would be minutes instead of hours.

Paul