Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Alarm Standards AS2201-5 2008?

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by downunderdan View Post
    The reality is, that some things simply are outside the reach of small companies, and that is why they should work to become big companies. Breaking the law, isn't the way to do it. Sorry.

It's also tempting not to pay tax...
    So how do you think a small company should cope while they are striving to become a big company & be able to afford compliance ?
    Establishment of a new approved industry body has been made virtually impossible from the outset because of the requirements. eg, demonstrate 5 yrs previous activity , providing member list , demonstrate committment to advancing the industry etc. While the legislation may have been drafted with good intentions, it is then handed over to a Gov't department who do their own interpretation & seem intent on constructing as many hoops to jump through as possible. The fact that the SIR is self-funded ensures it will be revenue driven for it's own preservation , the services it is supposed to offer will always be secondary. There are many recent examples of this if you need convincing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
    eg, demonstrate 5 yrs previous activity , providing member list , demonstrate committment to advancing the industry etc.
    Who thinks up that crap ?

Are these real world people ?

They have absolutely no idea of what goes on outside the walls of their cosy little governmental environment.
    Developer of VoIP2Go at ozvoip.net - Alarm compatible VoIP Network

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
    So how do you think a small company should cope while they are striving to become a big company & be able to afford compliance ?
    Imagine you wanted to start an airline. That should give you a good starting point in terms of startup capital, compliance requirements and so forth. As much as you'd like to be Qantas, you won't be, at first...

Establishment of a new approved industry body has been made virtually impossible from the outset because of the requirements.
    If you refer to my earlier comment, you'll note I am firmly opposed to the mandatory requirement for joining these bodies, much less the hoops required to become one.

However, I don't believe the industry needs more splinter groups. It wouldn't be hard to stack and overthrow most of them (ASIAL have an AGM coming up if you are interested). However, I have no interest in reforming an organisation we wouldn't voluntarily be a member of in the first place. That applies to all of the current "Approved Security Industry Associations" of whom, the best compliment I could offer, is suggesting that one of them is the 'least worst' of the bunch.

I am currently writing yet another submission on the subject. If anyone has any nice information, I'd be happy to receive a private message on the matter.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by downunderdan View Post
    I am currently writing yet another submission on the subject. If anyone has any nice information, I'd be happy to receive a private message on the matter.
    Dan, the problem is, and it has been on the news of recent. We don't have a Bill of Rights in the Australian Constitution. Although Australia has signed all five international treaties that make up the the International Bill of Human Rights, none of them are legally binding in Australia. This means that the fundamental rights and freedoms of everyone living in Australia are not protected by this law.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by intelliGEORGE View Post
    Dan, the problem is, and it has been on the news of recent. We don't have a Bill of Rights in the Australian Constitution.
    I'm loath to start talking religion or politics around here. However you should recognise that the rights (for example) that are enshrined in American society, would not necessarily be guaranteed with an Australian 'Bill of Rights' that would be a totally different creature.

Indeed, there is real potential for lawmaking to be taken out of the hands of elected government and put into the hands of an unelected judiciary. This would be a bad outcome. However, the idea is being promoted by groups with strong vested interests and questionable ideologies. Bear in mind that "Human Rights" groups are currently some of the most morally bankrupt organisations on the planet. I'm not sure I want them telling me how to run my life and business...

The above should not be taken as an endorsement of the current political structure. I believe a large part of the problem are voters who vote the way their Father did, and will make sure their kids vote the same way. They are responsible for a lot of this mess...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by intelliGEORGE View Post
    That's when you leave the industry and open a fish n chips shop.
    Sorry to drag an ancient thread into the daylight, but George's comment brings to mind something I heard the other day from a reliable source.

Somewhere in this fine country, is (or was) a fish and chip shop, the back room of which contained a receiver and was doing alarm monitoring. When an alarm went off at a client, the 'monitoring operator' would put down the tongs, go read the receiver and phone his mate who would respond.

I thought "back to bedroom" monitoring was bad, but this would have to be the first central station I've heard of which has an active fire hazard bubbling away in the adjacent room.

Can anyone top that?

Thanks

I heard it was in Five Dock c1990

Thanks

Oh man, PM me me the details. Would love to know all.

• Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345