Thread: Flat panel satellite dish query

Thanks

Default Flat panel satellite dish query

Hi Everyone,
    Looking for some assistance from the knowledgeable experts here with a flat panel satellite dish. On searching the forum, there's some mention here and there but not able to find specifics to this query. I bought a Self Sat H30D flat panel some time ago from a Melbourne supplier and thought I would be interesting to learn something new and have some fun. Well after many afternoons in the yard, the settings I tried along with using two meters (sat link & traditional needle type), couldn't even get a blip or murmur from it. So there was no fun and it got put in the shed till I saw it earlier today.

I'd really like to make use of this thing and ask if any of you have worked with one of these flat panel dishes, would really appreciate if you're able to please pass along some tips and hints or things I should be looking for?

For first attempt I used same standard azimuth, declination settings for a 65cm round dish for my location in QLD but this had no effect. From there I reset to a lower angle a swung slowly and continuously back and forth, increasing angle on each pass. I also did same with skew adjustment as its flat panel. When I had the satlink meter connected, I was using a couple of strong TPs from Optus D1 & also C1/D3 for reference but couldn't get a thing on it. I have good clear sight to the North and have no obstructions. The other satellite dish equipment have is working ok so I'm not all together new to this stuff, but this flat panel has really stumped me.

Thanks

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Which model LNB is on your dish?

From the spec sheet, those dishes use universal LNB's, so you would need to configure a meter and decoder accordingly with 22kHz switching tone.

Thanks

There's not too much on the dish or in booklet for specs. The placard on back of dish lists input frequency as 10.7-12.75GHz. And it's the single lnb model that I have.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Administrator
    Thanks

I just Googled it and it came up with the website, which has brochures and specs on the various models at the bottom of the page.

As I said, according to the specs, all the LNB's are the universal type.

Have you set your decoder up to match a universal LNB?

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

irritant (03-07-17),tristen (02-07-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tac2 View Post
    ...input frequency as 10.7-12.75GHz. And it's the single lnb model that I have...
    Cannot be. 10.7-12.75GHz is the whole Ku-band range and thus the LNB must have two LO frequencies - 9750 and 10600/10700.

Do you mean single output - like one port on the back?
    Last edited by irritant; 03-07-17 at 03:52 AM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

An Universal LNB is designed to receive the frequency range 10.7 GHz to 12.75 GHz.

In order to cover this 'extended' frequency range two local oscillator frequencies are utilised.

The local oscillator (LO) frequencies for an universal LNB are 9750 and 10600 (not 10600/10700).

LO frequencies are selectable in the satellite receiver setup menu by choosing either 'Universal' (LNB) or in some cases by selecting the reception frequency range desired, i.e. 22KHz OFF for range 10.7 to 11.7 GHz or 22KHz ON for range 11.7 to 12.75 GHz.

For further information see the Table in the rather dated document regarding LNB specifications available at .

I understand the OP's reference to 'the single LNB model' in post #3 to mean that there is one 'F' connector on the LNB in question.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

cmangle (04-07-17)

Thanks

Thanks Guys, for your assistance and information. I haven't previously worked with a universal lnb or 22kHz tones so in reply to MTVs query, sorry no I hadn't setup the meter or decoder for it as hadn't even thought about that possibility.

And I need to correct my earlier note - it's a single f connector from the lnb at the back and that can be interchanged with a dual or quad output fitting. On re reading, post refers multi lnb which it isn't.

Should hVe a chance next few days after work to give it a try again and will see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tac2 For This Useful Post:

irritant (03-07-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    ...10600/10700...
    Depends on where in the world it comes from. Sometimes the 10700 oscillator is used as the second one, instead of the 10600 oscillator. Was designed for decoders that could only go to 2050 MHz and not 2150 MHz in it's IF range.
    Last edited by irritant; 03-07-17 at 05:37 PM.

Thanks

These used to be popular in the UK for Sky. You could print a cover sticker that looked just like your wall or whatever, so it would be virtually invisible.

• The Following User Says Thank You to irritant For This Useful Post:

mtv (04-07-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tac2 View Post
    Should hVe a chance next few days after work to give it a try again and will see how it goes.
    Yes please, these are interesting.

Administrator
    Thanks

Yes, they are popular in the UK, the main use being for Sky, which is why the universal LNB is required, as Sky transponder frequencies are spread right across the Ku Band, which a single LO LNB will not cover.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Yes, they are popular in the UK, the main use being for Sky, which is why the universal LNB is required, as Sky transponder frequencies are spread right across the Ku Band, which a single LO LNB will not cover.
    Yeah, just the sheer volume of channels requires them to use the whole band. They even had to move to another orbital position at one stage, from 19°E to 28°E.

You used to get multi-LNB setups that could capture both I think (or it could've been Astra at 19°E and Hotbird at 13°E, but I forget now). Can these flat panels also do it?

Would be cool in Oz - you can capture all the Optus birds in their various slots.
    Last edited by irritant; 04-07-17 at 05:16 PM.

Thanks

How big are the dimensions of the dish, if it's less then 60cm you would be struggling to lock anything here. As a test while using the elcheapo Sat meter. Put you hand in front of the LNB, you should hear the pitch change. If not then you may have a dodgy LNB. RARE with a new setup, but we are grasping at straws here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmoore View Post
    How big are the dimensions of the dish, if it's less then 60cm you would be struggling to lock anything here. As a test while using the elcheapo Sat meter. Put you hand in front of the LNB, you should hear the pitch change. If not then you may have a dodgy LNB. RARE with a new setup, but we are grasping at straws here.
    The Sky ones I've seen are all "small" (50-60cm) as they were designed as an aesthetic alternative to mesh mini-dish (so, a big one probably would have been "ugly" I guess). But I don't know about this one.