Thread: Do you need antivirus if you've got Malwarebytes Premium Windows 10?

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 886 Posts

Default Do you need antivirus if you've got Malwarebytes Premium Windows 10?

Hi
    Do you need antivirus if you've got Malwarebytes Premium Windows 10?
    My system installed Windows Defender but is something like
    Bitdefender needed
    as I find AVG too invasive like stopping internet with my VPN software working or stopping itunes installing
    interfering with internet connection with adobe online subscription given up on avg

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

I've been using Windows Defender since Win8, combined with Malwarebytes Anti-exploit.

Now with Win10, same thing & all is good.

Like you I hated the constant interruptions of the alternative Virus checkers. Having said that, W10 Defender in it's current form can interrupt with useless notifications every now & then, but you can turn them off.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

pheggie (04-07-17)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I'm playing with Zone Alarm again, so far it seems to be quite unobtrusive.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

Unfortunately I can't escape Windows entirely. I don't think I've been happy with any anti-virus software since Vet. Have tried quite a few since then and they're all ridiculously obtrusive. The worst I have come across would have to be avast, which continually pops up invitations to purchase any of their vast plethora of other products. I'm currently using a free Trend product on my router, which is probably not adequate for most purposes, but seems to do the job for me as I only use Windows a couple of times a week to run one program.

If I do come across a good unobtrusive product I will post my recommendation, but don't hold your breath.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

There is no such thing as perfect anti-virus/anti-malware software. They all have their limitations and will not detect all virii or similar nasties.

For that reason, I use a number of different programs simultaneously, e.g. Eset, Kaspersky etc.

On one Windows machine I am currently using a combination of Avast Free, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Spyhunter 4 and Spybot, conducting a full scan once a day, every day.

On another Windows machine - Kaspersky Internet Security, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Spyhunter 4 and Spybot.

I have found Adware Removal Tool by TSA\Adware Removal Tool by TSA to be another effective tool to curb the activity of adware.

I have disabled the Microsoft security programs including the firewall, which come as integral to Windows, as I believe that they are largely ineffective and tend to be over-zealous in operation.

I don't bother about such protection on my Linux machine but have installed a free version of AVG on my Mac. I do not consider Unix-based operating systems to be as vulnerable as the Windows-based computers.

I DO NOT use Windows-based machines for any on-line banking or similar activities. as I consider them to be too vulnerable.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pheggie View Post
    Hi
    Do you need antivirus if you've got Malwarebytes Premium Windows 10?
    Yes.

Free rubbish like AVG is a waste of time, spend a tenner on a decent AV like Kaspersky.

I cant remember the last time I had a problem with a virus or anything else on my PC.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Yes.

Free rubbish like AVG is a waste of time, spend a tenner on a decent AV like Kaspersky.

I cant remember the last time I had a problem with a virus or anything else on my PC.
    How obtrusive do you find Kaspersky?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

I've used Kaspersky for many years and find it to be among the best AV programs there is (as well as Eset).

I know that it is frustrating when anti-virus activity slows a computer, particularly if you want to get something done quickly, however the computer hardware plays a major part in this.

If you have a slow computer to begin with, an AV program will slow it further. There is no way around this.

I use Kaspersky Internet Security on an Intel core 2 duo running at 3.0 GHz and using 4GB memory and it doesn't slow this greatly at all.

It runs a little quicker on another Windows machine with better specs.

The better the specs, e.g. processor speed, hard drive access times (SSD is MUCH to be preferred) the less obtrusive your AV will be.

Having said that, 'obtrusiveness' is very subjective. What one person finds obtrusive another is quite happy with...it depends on the individual concerned.

I have purchased from the source in Admin's post and have been very satisfied with the service.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, so invest $10. It's more than a bargain at that price. Stop procrastinating and jump in!

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

DB44 (05-07-17)

Thanks

I use Webroot with Malwarebytes and find them fairly unobtrusive. As for as subjective, my PC is Windows 10 Pro , AMD FX-8350 , 24GB ram, and boot drive is EVO 850 Samsung SSD 500GB. Thus, I don't see many slowdown, but I have never noticed any conflicts with this configuration. Webroot has superfast scanning, and I have been using Malwarebytes for a while, with a 'lifetime' license.

Thanks

If you have a specific job you do on your Microcrap machine ie a certain software that isnt available on an alternative OS then Kaspersky is certainly the way to go however if all your doing is browsing the web paying a few bills then dump Microcrap and take a look at some Linux Distro's.