Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: W10 Free Upgrade Still Available.

Thanks

Bumping.
    Officially MS is still offering 'free' upgrades for 7/8/8.1 (Pro) only if you purchase at least one year's monthly subscription (12 x US$20) for Microsoft 365 Business. (Look under "Can I get a free upgrade to Windows 10?")

Unofficially (albeit apparently with their full knowledge) there's no problem upgrading any previously validated 7 or 8.1 OS. I'm surprised that MS is still quietly allowing upgrades from 7/8.1 to 10 even though it's now quite sometime since even the dodgy "assistive technology offer" ended. The servers will still issue a digital licence for a Win 10 install provided either (1) a valid 7 or 8.1 product key is entered, or (2) you use gatherosstate.exe from win10 install Sources folder to generate GenuineTicket.xml on the Win7 intended to be upgraded as a clean install, or (3) an in-place upgrade is performed on a valid existing Win 7/8.1 installation.

Clearly Redmond's intention is that they want to be rid of older OSs by hook or by crook. It seems a little strange that publicly they want ppl to pay big bucks for a Win 10 upgrade while simultaneously allowing it for nix to anyone who's a bit PC savvy. Double standard?

It will be interesting to see if these 'backdoor' upgrade methods still work for Win 7 once support ends in mid Jan 2020.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Surething For This Useful Post:

Tiny (20-07-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

win 10, pre hacktivated
    updated to july 19
    dark theme

rufus usb tool, 15 min clean install
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (20-07-19)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

I still have a 10 installed that was never activated and runs fine for what I use it for.
    Pretty sure I used the original iso that I downloaded for free on the MS-web site.
    The watermark doesn't bother me.
    Not sure what would happen if I would ever go online with it though, probably just a few nag screens.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 20-07-19 at 09:07 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

It's perfectly legal ATM to run Win 10 unactivated and there are only a few 'eye candy' things missing. Everything updates normally, so really no big deal. At some point they may pull the pin on that too and introduce a 'trial period' i'd reckon.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Surething View Post
    It will be interesting to see if these 'backdoor' upgrade methods still work for Win 7 once support ends in mid Jan 2020.
    Yep. I can confirm it still works the same as i detailed in Post #21.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12