Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: W10 Free Upgrade Still Available.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Default W10 Free Upgrade Still Available.

You qualify for the free upgrade if you use assistive technologies, which include such features as a magnifier to better see the screen, a narrator to read text aloud, keyboard shortcuts and an on-screen keyboard. Such tech is "designed to provide additional accessibility to individuals who have physical or cognitive difficulties, impairments, and disabilities," according to Microsoft.

Just go here & start the download, follow prompts. )

At no point during the upgrade does Microsoft ask for proof that you actually use any of the assistive technologies. So the upgrade seems to be accessible to any Windows 7 or 8.1 user who still wants to get Windows 10 for free. Apparently, you can let your conscience be your guide, though Microsoft hopes otherwise.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

admin (26-07-17),efab (25-07-17),enf (28-07-17),mkhannah (25-07-17),mtv (25-07-17),OSIRUS (25-07-17),Surething (25-07-17),tristen (25-07-17)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    ...... Apparently, you can let your conscience be your guide, though Microsoft hopes otherwise.
    Kinda beg to differ there big fella, more likely M$ is saving face a bit by leaving a loophole so big. I reckon it's their way of continuing to get as many OS-security-blanket-clutching-types as possible into the Win 10 fold and out of the bigot-bog. In my experience, it's only the ppl systemically scared of change, or those others who were somewhat scarred by the early Win 8 experience, who are still resisting. When you inquire deeper you mostly find they've not spent more than a few minutes on a device running 10, if at all. I wonder about the 'change resistant' types a bit and where the world would be if they were calling the shots, like the Amish we'd be back in the horse'n'buggy days or worse. No penicillin, no hip replacements ... Ugh. I can drive a vehicle with a crash box which is how i learnt to drive and still double-clutch unconsciously in a manual but nowadays i drive a fly-by-wire modern automatic with electronics that would prob take a man to the moon and back safely. Saying Win 7 [or worse, Win XP] is better than Win 10 is quite frankly balderdash imo. Those ppl are entitled to their opinion though too, that's democracy. Since 29th July last year I've upgraded six PCs and laptops for friends and relatives who missed the boat with the 'free upgrade cut-off'. I kept an image of each just in case any of them bleated hard and still wanted to revert after the 30 days. None did. After a bit of initial whinging, they not only got used to 10 but LIKED it. Every last one of them. And these ppl are IT dinosaurs! It's easy to tone down the 'spying' if you want too, concern over that is another frequent objection. I was interested that the funny and likable lapcat loving/stirfry making Granny M-R is, it seems, now prepared to give it a go! [You GO Girl!].

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Surething For This Useful Post:

bob_m_54 (27-07-17),Tiny (26-07-17)

Thanks

Surething, I think you may have taken what Tiny wrote the wrong way.
    To me at least, he does not seem to be Win 10 bashing.

• The Following User Says Thank You to TZB For This Useful Post:

Tiny (26-07-17)

Thanks

I've not taken anything 'the wrong way'. I didn't accuse him of 'Win 10 bashing' in any way. Please re-read. My comments about Win 10 were generic and were mostly regarding the other thread i linked and my own experience with friends and rels. The only thing i was demurring about was the M$ upgrade to 10 'cutoff' and whether M$ 'hopes otherwise' i.e it was in regard to the partial quote in my post above.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Regardless, who cares ? All Tiny is doing is advising members that they can still legally upgrade.

Thanks Tiny.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Tiny (27-07-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Surething View Post
    Kinda beg to differ there big fella, more likely M$ is saving face a bit by leaving a loophole so big. I reckon it's their way of continuing to get as many OS-security-blanket-clutching-types as possible into the Win 10 fold and out of the bigot-bog. In my experience, it's only the ppl systemically scared of change, or those others who were somewhat scarred by the early Win 8 experience, who are still resisting. When you inquire deeper you mostly find they've not spent more than a few minutes on a device running 10, if at all. I wonder about the 'change resistant' types a bit and where the world would be if they were calling the shots, like the Amish we'd be back in the horse'n'buggy days or worse. No penicillin, no hip replacements ... Ugh. I can drive a vehicle with a crash box which is how i learnt to drive and still double-clutch unconsciously in a manual but nowadays i drive a fly-by-wire modern automatic with electronics that would prob take a man to the moon and back safely. Saying Win 7 [or worse, Win XP] is better than Win 10 is quite frankly balderdash imo. Those ppl are entitled to their opinion though too, that's democracy. Since 29th July last year I've upgraded six PCs and laptops for friends and relatives who missed the boat with the 'free upgrade cut-off'. I kept an image of each just in case any of them bleated hard and still wanted to revert after the 30 days. None did. After a bit of initial whinging, they not only got used to 10 but LIKED it. Every last one of them. And these ppl are IT dinosaurs! It's easy to tone down the 'spying' if you want too, concern over that is another frequent objection. I was interested that the funny and likable lapcat loving/stirfry making Granny M-R is, it seems, now prepared to give it a go! [You GO Girl!].
    I agree with your sentiments, but to be honest, I just couldn't be arsed, upgrading from win 8.1 to win 10 at the moment. I only use the windows laptop for one program that isn't available in a Linux flavour yet (and won't run properly under wine). That and reading a couple of forums is all I do on it. As soon as a Linux version of that program comes out, I'll ditch windows completely. So, for the time being I'll stay one of the dinosaurs. LOL

Thanks

Yep. "Horses for courses". Jeez, Win 3.1 wuz great.... well, at the time anyway. I say again, the only thing i was demurring about was whether M$ is 'letting conscience be your guide' and 'hoping otherwise'. I reckon it's really this: They're hoping as many as possible will still take up the offer on the flimsy grounds that we use 'assistive technologies'. Just open the on-screen keyboard for a second then type something and then you're perfectly legal to upgrade. It's a loophole and they know it, those ppl aren't stoopid. They WANT you to squeeze thru it. I haven't bothered to try the date roll-back method for sometime, but i bet it still works to change a PC back to 28th July 2016 and do an off-line update too. Kudos to Tiny for alerting some stragglers to the assistive technologies loophole, he's alright that Tiny and i've always said that .

Thanks

7-10 is still possible using a 10 stick made using ms own media creation tool.
    7 must be activated, and must be connected to the net before starting setup.

Once an upgrade is successful and activated, you need only use a 10 stick to reload.
    No product key needed
    Last edited by voltare1; 31-07-17 at 08:53 AM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,905 Posts

Just an update, Officially this has closed but unofficially you can still upgrade from Win 7/8 to Win 10, and you can do a clean install, you only need a valid Win 7 or 8 key to enter when doing it, in other words even if you install over the top of XP or Vista (but a clean install) if the key you enter is valid 7/8 you can now go straight to Win 10.
    Last edited by Al Bundy; 07-02-19 at 08:30 AM.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• The Following User Says Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

Tiny (07-02-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

There has always been a FREE upgrade available, it's called LINUX.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

DB44 (09-02-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

i fluked one the other day, i botched up a pre hacked install of win 10 & once inside i just hit the " we'll fix it for you" button, about 2 hrs later (dont be in a hurry) i had a new install on it with a digital license, cheerin
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

LSemmens
    Thanks

2 hrs later
    you were lucky! The best I have ever seen for a Windwoes update is about 2 days!!! (That includes installing Windoze.) My Linux install complete with all updates and customisation takes me approx 30 MINUTES!! Just to get back to the desktop about 15.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    you were lucky! The best I have ever seen for a Windwoes update is about 2 days!!! (That includes installing Windoze.) My Linux install complete with all updates and customisation takes me approx 30 MINUTES!! Just to get back to the desktop about 15.
    yea, im pretty sure you've mentioned this before,

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (08-02-19),Tiny (09-02-19),tristen (08-02-19),WhiteOx (07-02-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks

Only once or twice, or thrice or.......oh stuff it!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,905 Posts

Yeah, but nobody is listening...
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

DB44 (09-02-19),lsemmens (08-02-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Only once or twice, or thrice or.......oh stuff it!

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (08-02-19),lsemmens (08-02-19),Tiny (09-02-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

I gave up using stripped windows editions years ago, they are a pain in the ass unless you are using the pc for one specific purpose that will work with all those features removed.
    boot up time and h.d. space is a non event these days, with windows 10 or any other o/s.....

i have no problem with w10 on either the office pc's or my 2 in 1 laptop.

if you can, update...

one caveat though, don't try and use an old pc. anything more than 3 or 4 years old won't cut it and is probably why people have so many issues with w10.

i run a network with auto backup of system partitions and data folders to a qnap nas, which also runs a vpn and deluge for torrents, acronis for image backup, dlna to pc's and smart tv etc.

all pc's network flawlessly, everything can see and share with everything else....

i use the 2 in one for finding torrents (over vpn) and downloaded torrents automatically transfer to a folder on nas and are then automatically loaded by deluge and then deleted.....

i found windows 7 fine, windows 8 a bit of a pain and windows 10 is the best yet....

linux is not an option for me as i need to run office software that isn't available on linux.....

ginning round with a vm to run an office is not good business.....

i use a vm to run android apps on the 2 in 1, most work fine...

i am very impressed with the qnap, it does everything you could possibly want and much more....

Last edited by hoe; 08-02-19 at 04:31 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

Tiny (09-02-19)

Thanks

Easy to try Linux just download puppy Linux 528. On boot up choose it.

LSemmens
    Thanks

You can do that with just about any Linux Distro, Tom. I'm just having fun. Fishing is great!

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

DB44 (09-02-19)

Thanks

you are, considering its a windows 10 thread, but thats ok
    like hoe was saying
    im using a very modded win 10 copy, so far this one is ok, but sometimes, they strip stuff out that you might actually need 1 day
    this copy is great but i did notice, after a power out, it continually went into repair mode but i couldnt get any to work, no safe mode, no restore
    only that i hit the restore image, it started the logon screen with win 10 & reflect on it, then it booted fine
    could have just been my media player being on, being usb the pc doesnt like it much on boot.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

tristen (09-02-19)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast