Thread: Controlling electrical outlets with a simple integrated timer

Thanks

Cool Controlling electrical outlets with a simple integrated timer

Hello everyone, I have a need for a simple device I don't think is being made yet. Let me get into the details...
    I have a family member that is up in the years 75 years old. He gets out of bed every quarter hour to an hour all night long starting around 9 PM and continuing till around 6 AM. He goes to the kitchen, blasts the TV volume and starts looking for food. He will do this for an hour or two, back to bed for 15-30 minutes then back to the kitchen.

Now we do not want to take his television away but what would be great is an electrical outlet that looks like any standard outlet with a 24 hour timer in it. this way we could shut his Telly off say from 10 PM till 6 AM. And a timing device that could be integrated in a normal looking light switch would also be a great help. This way he would be discouraged from hitting the kitchen and not letting working people sleep. ( He is also KER-KLUNKing with a walker that he should not be using but does anyways just to wake everyone up.) I am in the US so the electrical items are different from Australia but I am sure both our countries would benefit from such items. I see many timers but all the controls are visible to anyone looking at them. If we install the timed switches and outlets that are available, he would just be playing with them until he got them to turn on or until he broke them. Installing the timers in the main fuse box, or breaker box is not practical because the refrigerator is probably on the same circuit. And pulling extra wires will not work in this old house.
    What do you all think about this? Should I run to the patent office with my idea? Or is someone on the way already?

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Most TV's have a parental lock that can be configured to time.

As for having programmable power outlets and light switches that look exactly like normal ones, but not on any dedicated circuit or downstream from a timing/switching device.... how do you intend to program them, with no visible controls?

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

augnut223 (01-08-17)

Thanks

I would look into devices designed to be controlled via an app on your smart phone.
    surly there are some that will meet your needs.

• The Following User Says Thank You to osczzzz For This Useful Post:

augnut223 (01-08-17)

Thanks

wemo from belkin is perfect for you -

update to the USA version

f
    Last edited by freakee1; 31-07-17 at 02:40 PM.
    有段者

• The Following User Says Thank You to freakee1 For This Useful Post:

augnut223 (01-08-17)

Thanks

Not sure if you can get this range in the US... But these will do the job and stay hidden..

• The Following User Says Thank You to snacker For This Useful Post:

augnut223 (01-08-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Most TV's have a parental lock that can be configured to time.

As for having programmable power outlets and light switches that look exactly like normal ones, but not on any dedicated circuit or downstream from a timing/switching device.... how do you intend to program them, with no visible controls?
    Ok, Parental Lock is too easy, that is why I did not think of it, (Thanks!). But we still need to disable 2 light switches that are probably on the same circuit as the fridge or our 290 Pound "Baby Freakin' Huey" will either drink a gallon of milk, eat a quarter pound stick of butter, or jar of jelly, or whole loaf of bread, or just pig out on any thing he can get his hands on. Wireless programming with iPhone would be nice. Yes, To the other folks that replied, thanks and I will look into what you have mentioned!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Lights are always on a separate circuit to the fridge so you are safe there. Remember the fridge is plugged into a GPO, not a light socket. You could always pull the globe out of the socket when you go to bed.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I know this thread is 3 months old but its just dawned on me after using the OFF TIME on my TV that it has to be set each day unless others allow act repetitively.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!