Thread: Beware!! Check your Paypal charges.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Default Beware!! Check your Paypal charges.

My Paypal purchases are charged to a Commonwealth bank account, which is linked to a Debit Card.

I just bought a DVD from the UK, and decided to see what $A charge had arrived at this account, as the listing and PayPal payment was in GBP.

In doing so, I noticed that a purchase I had made on August 2 appeared twice in the "Charges pending" section of the account.

I checked "My Purchases" on eBay, and confirmed that I had made only the one purchase.

I then checked my Paypal statement and found that only one charge appeared on that.

So here I had a situation where I had made one purchase, one charge was on my Paypal statement, but the transaction was duplicated in my bank account.

When I googled "Paypal charges twice" I got page after page of hits, dating back to 2010....same issue....single entry on Paypal, double entry on source of funds.

Here is a news item from 2015 on the issue:

Online shoppers angered as PayPal error sees accounts charged twice

Tried to ring the bank 1300 number......"Your call is important to us...now please take a long walk on a short jetty".

Lodged a dispute with Paypal......got a message that they've sent an email to the seller........think it's called "handballing".

Managed to get onto the local Commonwealth branch (yep....live in the country...we can still do that ).

They were very helpful (as usual) but can't do anything while the charge is pending.....can only act once it hits the account on August 10.

Hopefully I might have it resolved with Paypal before then.

But, as I said, this has been going on for some time....Google yielded forum discussions in 2010, 2013, and 2015 about exactly the same issue.

I'll update when something happens, but, meantime, would suggest that close scrutiny of wherever Paypal takes your money from would be in order.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

DB44 (04-08-17),eaglem (05-08-17),mtv (04-08-17),Onefella (10-08-17),Rick (09-08-17)

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

I would not worry until the charge changes from pending to actual - your situation has happened to me a few times but only one becomes and actual charge to the Mastercard.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to garrycol For This Useful Post:

eaglem (05-08-17),irwazza (10-08-17),LeroyPatrol (04-08-17),Thala Dan (04-08-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garrycol View Post
    I would not worry until the charge changes from pending to actual - your situation has happened to me a few times but only one becomes and actual charge to the Mastercard.

According to the bank, the duplicate charge should go live tomorrow (10th)

Interestingly, one of the two charges has already gone active some days ago…the duplicate charge is still “pending”.

I notified Paypal of the situation on the 4th……so I’m assuming that the second charge is still pending because they are investigating.

Shortly after I notified, and explained in detail, the error to Paypal, I received an email from the eBay seller asking politely why I had stopped their payment.

Took me two goes (my Mandarin/Cantonese ain’t so good) to explain to them that I was not disputing anything they had done, but that the problem lay with Paypal.

But you gotta hand it to Paypal…..somebody complains about them (Paypal) double-dipping into a bank account, and the first thing they do is hang the eBay seller out to dry. This is in spite of the fact that their own transaction record of my account shows only one payment to the seller.

Nice one.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

Rick (09-08-17)

Thanks

I am with garrycol, this has happened to me plenty of times. The pending charge disappears.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01FD using Tapatalk

• The Following User Says Thank You to irwazza For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (11-08-17)

Thanks

The pending charge disappeared from my bank account today.

No update on the dispute record in my Paypal account as yet.

I've notified the seller that the matter is settled, and that they should have their payment restored.....or want to know why not.

Will be paying a lot more attention to that bank account in the future.

Thanks for the comments.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thala Dan View Post
    The pending charge disappeared from my bank account today.
    As I said - I have had this quite a few times but has only existed in the pending section and never confirmed. It definitely pays to double check though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garrycol View Post
    Yep,same here,has happened to me about 4 times over the years,the seller or its CC processor has put the charge thru twice but only one ends up being paid by the Bank.Freaked out the first time because the 2nd charge put my card over the Credit Limit and i couldn't use it for 3 days.