View Poll Results: How do you intend to vote in the same sex marriage postal vote?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

49 31.01%
  • No.

96 60.76%
  • Will not be voting.

13 8.23%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Same sex Marriage - Will you be voting Yes or No?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DB44 View Post
    You mean like paedophilia, for instance?
    Paedophilia is a criminal offence. Homosexuality is not. Your example is in no way irrelevant.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    Paedophilia is a criminal offence. Homosexuality is not. Your example is in no way irrelevant.
    You are of course correct. My comment is, as you say, in no way irrelevant. You seem to have got at least that right, though by accident. And it is a comment, not an example. It's relevance lies in illustrating the ridiculous nature of your comment. Homosexuality is, of course, not illegal now, nor should it be. But it once was. And if we keep pandering to extremist minorities than paedophilia may one day also be legal.

Hardly unexpectedly, you chose to avoid the real questions. Homosexuality is now tolerated and accepted by most reasonable people. And it seems that this is not enough for the activists, as the Spectator article you so deliberately chose to ignore shows. It seems that we must, if they have their way, embrace and promote it.
    Last edited by DB44; 18-09-17 at 10:13 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

enf (21-09-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

A baker can't refuse to bake a cake for someone because of their skin colour, or ethnicity, or sex - why should discrimination be allowed based on someone's sexual preference? .
    Confusion reigns supreme here, as is so often the case with those who are blindly advocating for the affirmative in this issue.

This theoretical Baker is not refusing to bake a cake for somebody because of their sexual preference.

He probably bakes cakes for all manner of people in the course of a normal days business, and thinks nothing of it.

But…..the baker may well not wish to provide a cake that is to be used as a centre-piece in a ceremony, the very basis of which is offensive to him, and contrary to his moral and religious beliefs.

Decisions based on deeply-held moral/religious beliefs are widely accepted throughout our society.

Hence the existence of Halal and Kosher food products, religious exemptions from vaccination, in the U.S. the Amish are exempt from paying Social Security tax as they consider the acceptance of Social Security a sin, and so on, ad infinitum.

The bakers’ position is not one of discriminating against homosexuals…..it is a personal statement in regard to a ceremony and an institution about which deep personal convictions are held.

Disclaimer: I am a card-carrying atheist…….I would be more than happy to see all such religious nonsense eliminated….however, since society seems happy to make such concessions, consistency would seem both desirable and appropriate.

People have varying views on all the above. Some dislike black people, or Asians, or females - but their personal view doesn't allow them to discriminate based solely on that view. Ones personal views on gay or lesbian people should be no different.
    Again, off on a tangent.

This issue is not about gay and lesbian people…much as many of them would like to maintain otherwise.

It is about the very nature of the institution of marriage, the social ramifications of any changes to that long-standing institution, and the head-on clash with long-held religious beliefs that any change entails.

As I see it, there are two main drivers of the NO Vote in this issue:

1. Deeply held moral/religious beliefs and values, and/or,

2. Concern about unintended consequences…none of which have been explored or discussed yet in this country.

The public has been given no idea about any proposed enabling legislation, and, despite all the huffing and puffing that’s occurred since this issue went live, very little meaningful public debate has occurred about its ramifications for a myriad of other hitherto-accepted social institutions and practices

There is very real concern in the community about the potential far-reaching social ramifications of this proposal, and none of it is based on homophobia.

• The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

admin (28-09-17),DB44 (19-09-17),enf (19-09-17),lsemmens (20-09-17),OSIRUS (19-09-17),Tiny (19-09-17),tristen (28-09-17),webtech (28-09-17)

Premium Member

Thanks

Personally, I don't think the Admin should be using this forum for a venue for political voting/views.

I'm voting Yes (55yr). My partner Yes (53yr). My mum (78yr) No. My partners mum (74yr) No.

Some people I have spoken to are saying No, as to the Political Seating blackmailing that 'this' minority 'could' impose.
    My response to that was "Well, it's a democracy. If the Government can't something passed because it's 'to close', then it needs to adjust it a bit

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I think that Admin has been completely unbiased in the discussions permitted here. Regardless of your viewpoint, he has not moderated any who choose the opposite viewpoint. As far as marriage equality is concerned. It wasn't that long ago that the homosexual lobby were deriding all things marriage. To me, they are just sh*t stirring for the sake of it. If the law is changed, I'd be concerned that other freedoms will also come under attack. Whether the baker story is real, or not, it illustrates the problems caused by the professional stirrers. E.G. I am a member of a church. We are encouraged to love anyone regardless of their viewpoint. If, say, a murderer chooses to join us, we would not be out of order to ask him to renounce his murderous ways, and no one would bat an eyelid. However, if we asked a homosexual to renounce their homosexual ways, despite being against the tenets of our religion, we would be howled down and derided by all and sundry. Where is the freedom in that?
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GT250 View Post
    Personally, I don't think the Admin should be using this forum for a venue for political voting/views.
    Whether people agree or disagree, it's Admins site and he can do whatever he wants with it.

Forum Rule 14 pretty much spells it out.

14. Austech is not a democracy and never has been. Austech is a privately owned forum started in 1998. We do not hold democratic elections for staff positions because as stated, Austech is not a democracy. Austech does not offer nor promote free speech. Although Austech provides a fair and balanced attitude to allowing members to speak what they feel, Rule number 2 over rides this at all time. We do not know of anywhere on the internet that provides free speech, what you will find on Austech is about as much a free speech enviroment as you will find anywhere.

Back on topic.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Why not?
    Personally I like to find out WHY others might have a different viewpoint.
    That differs us from places like NK, China, etc where political discussion is not permitted.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

enf (21-09-17),Rick (28-09-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks

This has been one of the more mature discussions I have seen for such a hot and divide topic!
    Both Sides have been able to place their views forward without the personal attacks that are the usual baggage when people have passion or strong opinion on topics.
    I voted yes, but certainly respect everyone's vote for being their own. (clicked No in the poll, Whoops)
    It is illegal to discriminate on many issues, but people will keep that true reason to themselves and discriminate away, it's human nature. Jobs, contracts, custom it happens all the time.
    The Loonies may think they will push other agendas, but if it goes through I don't think the general population will pander to their crap.

Thanks

Unless I missed it in the thread, when does the acceptance of the postal votes close? In other words, when do we get a result on yay or nay?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aa23 View Post
    Unless I missed it in the thread, when does the acceptance of the postal votes close? In other words, when do we get a result on yay or nay?

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

aa23 (28-09-17)

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Default Getting sick of this shit!

I'm really starting to get sick of this same sex gay shit.
    I really don't care what they do but this is just ramming it down our throats.
    It's like they're trying to force it upon us and turn us all fkn gay.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

Rick (28-09-17),shred (28-09-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,531 Posts

Agreed, and what we dont have any Australian rap crappers? nuke the lot of em, and Ox your cute when your angry

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Was just sitting down enjoying a marvelous cold Carlton Draught schooner .....

And got to thinking.....
    I'd rather have seen the Government spend $150M on why a Carlton Draught stubbie or can tastes nothing like poured Carlton Draught on Tap.

Serious issues..... !!!!

If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

DB44 (28-09-17),shred (28-09-17),Tiny (28-09-17)

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Cute! fmd have they gotten to you already?

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Was just sitting down enjoying a marvelous cold Carlton Draught schooner .....

Serious issues..... !!!!
    Get back to work. lol
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (28-09-17)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Its only going to get worse until the Vote is finally counted and the figures released.

Irrespective which way it goes, there will be immediate claims that all sorts of tampering has occurred and the vote is tainted.

If its a NO vote, apart from the screams for the YES factor, it SHOULD settle down to low rumble but if its a YES vote
    , then we are in for many months of every nit and twit wanting their version of how the legislation is to be worded.

Rick, I dont know about the cute bit but I wondered does he dimple when he smiles ?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Back to what?
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Would you be complaining if I had a big Yes sign at the top of the forum ? No, because its suits your view.

How have I used it for voting ? A member started a poll.......though no doubt under the laws we will get under a Yes vote (18c if Labor and the Greens get the numbers, the Yes camp have asked for it), I would probably be held responsible for it. Thats one of the the reasons this site is hosted in the US.......Australia doesn't have any freedom of speech laws. Zero, zilch, zip.
    I dont the AFL should be forcing its view on me.
    I dont think Qantas should be enforcing its view on me.
    I dont think {insert almost every organisation in Australia} enforcing its view on me.

The irony of your statement is that if the Yes campaign wasnt harassing me as a no voter, telling me I am a homophobe, sacking people for voting no, headbutting people for voting no, then I probably wouldn't have bothered to even open my mouth. I personally know more people who have voted No than Yes, but they simply wont admit it to anyone (bar people like me that will admit it regardless) because they are in fear from yes campaigner abuse. And quite a few have very close links to family and in law family gay members.

In 20 years of this forum running, I could probably identify about 2 members who were obviously homophobic. Thats out of about 1,000,000 posts (new and old database).

In the last 30+ years, discrimination, racism, sexism, almost anything with "ism" on the end of it has been reduced to almost nothing. But the amount of complaints has blown out to a figure so high its laughable. And with each idiotic decision we make, each of us has less and less rights in this country.

Anyone who can vote Yes for something like this with no afterthought as to the consequences really needs to start taking a far bigger interest in current events in this country. Apart from the fact the Yes campaigners want provisions added to our current draconian 18C laws so they can prosecute anyone who says anything against gay marriage, the very same campaigners are also actively campaigning on the following :

Closing all Australian coal generators. Wonder why all your energy bills are through the roof ? Vote YES for more misery.

Removing all statues relating to our colonial past despite the achievements of the people concerned. Vote YES for statue removal.

Changing Australia to a Republic. Think our political system is bad ? Its one of the best in the world. Vote YES for President Shorten and the Greens Alliance

Changing our constitution to recognise Aboriginals are superior beings to all other people in the country. Vote YES for the reintroduction of (reverse) racism.

Expanding Victoria's extremely warped "Safe Schools" program which was developed by Leftist Marxist Lunatic Roz Ward who claims that 50% of school students are gay. Vote YES to permanently screw with your child/grandchild's head.

Banning Australia Day throughout Australia. At least 3 Victorian Councils have already done it. Vote YES to ban celebrations.

I could rattle off plenty more, but as the majority of Australians don't actually follow current affairs apart from Leftist causes on social media there is realistically little point. At the end of the day, all Australians got out of this was a rigged competition. We were promised a plebiscite by Turnbull, it was blocked in the senate by Shorten and the Greens.

If we did get the plebiscite we were promised, the NO vote would have prevailed. Why ? Because like an election, there would have been campaigning by both sides BEFORE the vote. And after the disgusting campaign by the Yes camp, a majority of voters would have serious concerns and voted No. We need to try and find a party with enough balls to ensure that future Plebiscites are held at Federal Election time.

In the end thanks to the Leftists, we got a non binding postal vote of which the Yes campaign is out stealing and sending in. Only in Australia.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    The Loonies may think they will push other agendas, but if it goes through I don't think the general population will pander to their crap.
    Unfortunately the general population doesn't get a choice.

Such as Gay Marriage. Labor was against it. Now they pander to any leftist cause. And when the leftist brigade band together in the Senate and pool their vote, they hold the numbers. The Gay community until very recently called marriage " an outdated institution that we want no part of ". Lesbian Labor Senator Penny Wong was previously anti gay marriage.

Given that current polling shows that Labor will defeat the Coalition at the next Federal Election, it literally GUARANTEES that every leftist cause will be a success in the following 4 years. How can it not be when the Greens will support them in the Senate ?

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (28-09-17)

Administrator
    Thanks

And if the AFL's gay marriage campaign wasnt enough for you, the NRL's is even better !

Instead of the NRL tradition of "Jimmy Barnes type's", the NRL has gone with Pro Gay Marriage rapper "Macklemore", who will be singing his pro gay marriage hit.

The North Queensland Cowboys were barred from practice at Olympic Stadium to train while Mackleless did some sound checks.

Meanwhile, Macklemore has weighed in to our debate calling those who disagree "angry old white dudes" (ironically the same color as him......gotta love self loathers) and promising to "go even harder" in regards to it.

It should be a hoot to watch for 2 reasons :

1. Mackle who ? NRL crowds are definitely your "meat and potatoes" type when it comes to pre game music. I can see boos just on the choice of Rap.

2. Who wants gay marriage shit at the GF ???? Seriously ?

• Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast