Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kaspersky ??

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Who needs anti virus products? Whinedows users, that's who!
    Hahahaha....whinedows...I like that.

Linux users are like vegans.

You won't have to ask if they're vegans, they'll tell you.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Landytrack View Post
    Thanks everyone for the comments, all noted and a great help. Had never heard of ESET and it sounds like the one to go for. Will get rid of the Nortons first and see about getting ESET installed.
    ESET will give you 28 days? trial....give it a go.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Landytrack (15-04-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 678 Posts

+1 for ESET NOD32 Since 2009. It's funny, it always gets good reviews in domestic AV tests, but often doesn't do that well in "recommended" lists against more well-known offerings. Luckily ESET is known and trusted in industry and commercial situations. Happy to pay for 5 licenses a year for myself, and I recommend it to all my customers.

btw, I also have a linux server and two linux workstations that never need such remediation effort.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Onefella For This Useful Post:

enf (15-04-20),Landytrack (16-04-20),tristen (15-04-20)

• 13-07-20, 04:17 AM

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I got several e-mails telling me that my mcafee av has expired, should I install it, just to renew it?
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Propriety operating systems ~ the OS's that guarantee your wallet keeps giving. =)

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Johnno (14-07-20)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Last virus I had was the Form Virus. It was annoying shyte too, would be all over your floppies way faster than Covid.
    Not that it seemed to damage anything for me, just popped up a message: you are infected with Form when you tested it with an application.
    But you could clean the boot sectors with the application, I suppose that was the first AV software I used.

Do computer virus's even still exist?
    I mean it is all about data mining and identity theft these days. What is the point of a virus?
    You can achieve far more damage(or wealth) stealing sensitive data from a working computer than just stuffing it up.

I get it that modern AV systems also detect spyware and such but do they really help when it comes down to the 'wire' and hackers tunnel through?

The more complex connected systems become the more vulnerabilities and IoT is a disaster waiting to happen. No use for AV there.
    So the next time your Google light bulb gets activated, a hacker might have tunnelled into your WLAN straight into your phone. Way more interesting stuff there than on an outdated PC.
    Security cams are another fun way.
    Lots a sites like these:
    cam pass: admin, admin LOL.
    ...but I use Kaspersky on my PC I will be safe, ROFL.
    Q: Who has admin, admin or name of provider, abc123 when they type 192.168.1.1 in their browser?
    A: Pretty much everybody in my neighbourhood who has asked me for help with their 'Internet' !!!

I don't recommend any particular AV software.
    What already comes with latest Windows would be enough for home users.
    People need to learn how to use the Internet properly and always keep the sensitive stuff backed up on hard drives that are only connected to a PC after it is freshly booted up while offline.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 13-07-20 at 09:20 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

joezep (14-07-20),Johnno (14-07-20)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    L
    What already comes with latest Windows should be enough for home users.
    People need to learn how to use the Internet properly and always keep the sensitive stuff backed up on hard drives that are only connected to a PC after it is freshly booted up while offline.
    Fixed that for you! In 40 years of playing with computers, I have NEVER been "infected" with anything other than the M$ introduced vulnerabilities. Even those have been fixed now!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I mean it is all about data mining and identity theft these days. What is the point of a virus?
    You can achieve far more damage(or wealth) stealing sensitive data from a working computer than just stuffing it up.

Q: Who has admin, admin or name of provider, abc123 when they type 192.168.1.1 in their browser?
    A: Pretty much everybody in my neighbourhood who has asked me for help with their 'Internet' !!!

Yep, I just use W10 Security and I can't remember the last time I had a virus. Maybe W98 days.

The 2 Lesbians down the road use Admin - Admin on their modem and IP Cams.. I don't look /Promise.. lol

I run a couple of websites and this Email below is what I receive regularly... I just ignore knowing their talking shit and delete.
    (Data mining is the way to go on PC's and websites) i can just imaging the amount of people that fall for it.

"PLEASE FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO SOMEONE IN YOUR COMPANY WHO IS ALLOWED TO MAKE IMPORTANT DECISIONS!

We have hacked your website and extracted your databases.

How did this happen?

Our team has found a vulnerability within your site that we were able to exploit. After finding the vulnerability we were able to get your database credentials and extract your entire database and move the information to an offshore server.

What does this mean?

We will systematically go through a series of steps of totally damaging your reputation. First your database will be leaked or sold to the highest bidder which they will use with whatever their intentions are. Next if there are e-mails found they will be e-mailed that their information has been sold or leaked and your site was at fault thusly damaging your reputation and having angry customers/associates with whatever angry customers/associates do. Lastly any links that you have indexed in the search engines will be de-indexed based off of blackhat techniques that we used in the past to de-index our targets.

How do I stop this?

We are willing to refrain from destroying your site's reputation for a small fee. The current fee is .33 BTC in bitcoins ($3000 USD).

Send the bitcoin to the following Bitcoin address (Copy and paste as it is case sensitive):

12WghuRH7b8K7mcJvxCzfgyj

Once you have paid we will automatically get informed that it was your payment. Please note that you have to make payment within 5 days after receiving this notice or the database leak, e-mails dispatched, and de-index of your site WILL start!

How do I get Bitcoins?

You can easily buy bitcoins via several websites or even offline from a Bitcoin-ATM. We suggest you for buying bitcoins.

What if I don’t pay?

If you decide not to pay, we will start the attack at the indicated date and uphold it until you do, there’s no counter measure to this, you will only end up wasting more money trying to find a solution. We will completely destroy your reputation amongst google and your customers.

This is not a hoax, do not reply to this email, don’t try to reason or negotiate, we will not read any replies. Once you have paid we will stop what we were doing and you will never hear from us again!

Please note that Bitcoin is anonymous and no one will find out that you have complied."
    Last edited by Johnno; 14-07-20 at 07:42 AM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Not this black duck, I always reset default password & move to 172.16.x.x and subnet it out to /30 or /29 depending on how many ip_addr are actually needed...and turn DHCP off.

It's a moot point, because reset button in/on device, and one doesn't know for sure how secure the WAN side is... but, it's how I learnt to futz tcp/ip =)

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Johnno (14-07-20),lsemmens (14-07-20),tristen (14-07-20)

• 14-07-20, 11:36 PM

Thanks

Heh well I got to put one vote here for kaspersky. Ive had norton and a even avg and while I cant say I had any infections with them I know i few people who did. Kaspersky with the standard windows 10 defender and commonsense about the web seem to be doing alright for me. Its caught a few trojans. I have the cloud version and the browser extension. As far as resource consumption, it there but I've seen norton use way more. Hey if they are beaming my stuff back to the russian mothership so be it, I will lose my minecraft account someday. you'd be a fool to think anything on you computer is private anymore thanks to windows

Thanks

I swear by Malwarebytes. Worth paying for. I give it 5 STARS.

• The Following User Says Thank You to NoAIR For This Useful Post:

tristen (21-09-20)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NoAIR View Post
    I swear by Malwarebytes. Worth paying for. I give it 5 STARS.
    Yes, Malwarebytes does an excellent job.

I've used it successfully for many years without problems.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12